Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advanced Space Crusade - opinions?  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Advanced Space Crusade - opinions?
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
One of the many things that have come to light after a recent house move is a copy of Advanced Space Crusade. The box is a little battered but the game is unused (1 figure has been assembled). I don't play 40k or any other GW games except Space Hulk (no - I'm not going to buy the new one; I've got a perfectly good 1st Edition set). However, a cursory glance at Advanced Space Crusade seems to show that it has things in common with Space Hulk so maybe I'll like it.

Has anyone here played it? If so, what do you think? Good game? Similar to Space Hulk? Will it appeal to someone who has no interest in GW's 40k background? In fact, any opinions would be of interest.

Doug

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Advanced Space Crusade - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
I've only every played 'ordinary' space crusade, I'm not aware that there existed something called advanced space crusade.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
Hello Doug,

the game idea can be compared to Space Hulk. I only have the sequel, "Tyranid Attack", so I can't advise on Advanced Space Crusade directly. But I believe all these games are very similar. GW published Tyranid Attack, because the license from MB was missing, hence a rework of the rules. According to this source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Crusade#Advanced_Space_Crusade
it works different to Advance Space Crusade.
To offer an answer to your questions: no, I didn't play it, only the sequel; I think it's like Space Hulk with other settings and different troops; if you like Space Hulk, this game might appeal to you as well (alien hunting actions); you might need to know about Tyranids to understand the mission objectives, though you need not to buy any codex books to play it.
So, I propose, give it a try  :)

Edit: your Space Rangers should work fine on this board...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:19:37 PM by Hauptgefreiter »
per aspera ad astra

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
If you dont want it, can I have it?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
I used to own it, one of the first games I ever owned. The biggest problem was that it was so limited - the only variation came from varying points of the marine/tyranid forces or using a different attacking force. Objectives always remained the same - various organs of the tyranid ship, and because the tiles were so large and limited to six there were only so many combinations of layout. I did enjoy playing it but its limitations were all quickly discovered and I'm glad I bought Space Hulk shortly after.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »
My Advanced Space Crusade experience is pretty limited , about three full games in the twenty years that I have owned it, mostly due to the lengthy play time (three full games equating to three full days gaming).  I do enjoy it however.

Advanced Space Crusade is a very different game to Tyranid Attack.  All that they share is theme and components: the rules are completely different for both.  Like Advanced Heroquest , Advanced Space Crusade was manufactured entirely by GW: the connection with MB only applied to Space Crusade and Heroquest as far as I know.

Tyranid Attack is a pretty simple boardgame that can be played through in under two hours.  Its simple to play and as a result a little "scripted" but it can be fun if yopu like that sort of thing (or have a pile of 40k miniatures lying around that you dont use any more): its very beer and pretzels.  Advanced Space Crusade takes a whole lot longer than Tyranid Attack in my experience. 

Advanced Space Crusade is a game that will probably take an entire day to play through.  There are some cute mechanics (Outer and Inner encounter decks of 6 cards for each flank) to simulate the three pronged attack that the marines are launching on the Hive ship.  Chits representing units are assigned to each flank.  The Tyranid player can see the Imperial chits but the Imperial player cant see the location of the slowly massing Tyranid forces on their "console".

Assigning forces to each flank is a reasonably important part of the game and gives it a more strategic "feel" than Space Hulk.  It conveys the idea of trying to co-ordinate an assault on a big, evil, living ship quite well (even if it is done in a simple fashion), which is quite cool as far as I am concerned.

The actual game then consists of fighting out the various different skirmishes that result from the three pronged assault.  The D12 rule system is more complex than Space Hulk or Space Crusade.  It is roughly about the same complexity level as Doom: the Boardgame if you are familiar with that.  It is the first game that I ever played with a reaction system.  It is also the only reaction system that I played that I found that worked (although I am still open minded on reaction systems, I just havent had the right gaming experience with them yet, I hope).

A lot of people dislike the board sections, they are seriously gaudy.  Saturday Night Fever nightclub combined with acid flashback gaudy.  I dont mind them that much, they are sorta funny.  The cardboard doors look amusingly like green womens private parts, which always causes a schoolboy smirk or two.  The carboard objectives in the game are hilarious:  there is a huge brain, a heart, lungs etc each of which grant powers to whichever side is in control of them.  The most amusing one has to be the giant spaceships, giant bum-hole.  If the Imperial player captures that objective he can recieve reinforcements.  Presumably quite aromatic ones.  Laughs all around in my experience.

Problems with the game include the limited forces supplied in the box (three Space Marine scout squads and six Tyranid warriors).  I cant speak for game balance straight out of the box as the three or so times that I have played the game I used the comprehensive rules for the rest of the Space Marine and Tyranid armies (Tactical/Devastator/Assault Marines, Genestealers, Termagants etc) included in the rules.  Game balance may well suffer due to the use of all of these "extras", in favour of the Marines I think.  The game is pretty much the poster boy for that GW opened ended purchasing strategy, "requiring" lots of expenditure to play more games, which then throws the balance out.  On the other hand I would think that playing with only the stuff from the box would be a little too same-y.

Another issue is the game length: a full assault on a ship will take (in my experience at least) more or less a full days gaming.  I expect that this lengthy play time can be shortened with familiarity with the game system but as it takes so long it only gets played every few years. Therefore in my experience playtime is roughly equal to one entire Saturday.

One rule that always seems to come up is that grenades are far too good and need to be seriously limited. Once marines get the hang of flinging them down corridors and bouncing them off walls and into Tyranid laps they are way too good.  The next time that I play each marine will have a limit of one grenade per scenario (and that may still be too much).

As Onebigriver said, the game is limited in that it is always about an assault on a living ship.  I play it irregularly enough that I find that a novelty.  I have plenty of games that cover more familiar territory.

Regarding the 40K setting, I dont think that it really has *that* much of a bearing on it.  It could just as easily be Colonial Marines versus Xenomorphs or similar.  You could very easily play the game using EM4 miniatures for example.

Lastly, if you want to play a faster (and dumber but somewhat entertaining) game using the components you could grab the Tyranid Attack rules from www.boardgamegeek.com and play that in the course of an hour or two.  You have evrything bar eight or so small encounter cards to play that if you own ASC.

ASC will never be as good a game as Space Hulk, but I am glad to own my copy and I hope to have more fun with it over the years.  It scrathes a specific itch for me pretty well.
Its lustre could fade if I played it weekly or monthly or whatever but I dont and as a result I am looking forward to playing it again soon.  Like The MightyFlip, I could easily find a home for your copy if you decide to get rid of it  ;)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:47:21 AM by cheetor »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the responses and Cheetor, in particular, that was an excellent summary. Having looked at the rules a little deeper since my original post, I got some of the same vibes you've got. I like the notion of the different levels - planning and fighting. Sort of strategic and tactical mix which appeals to me.

I'm thinking of playing it but using other figures so that, if I hate it, I can move it on with the figures still in their sprues. In fact, I see there are rules for using Space Hulk tiles so I don't even have to break out the board pieces.

Looks like a game to set up and play over a few days - wonder if I can play it solo....

Doug

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses and Cheetor, in particular, that was an excellent summary.

Youre welcome :)

Having looked at the rules a little deeper since my original post, I got some of the same vibes you've got. I like the notion of the different levels - planning and fighting. Sort of strategic and tactical mix which appeals to me.

Thats the appeal of ASC alright.  The notion of the refused flank (or whatever) on a strategic level  is great.  The execution is pretty simple but the narrative feel of it is pretty good.  That element is so appealing in fact that I am thinking about using the strategic components to play an assault on a space hulk, while obvioulsy using the Space Hulk rules for the skirmishes.  It could be pretty cool.  I will file the idea with all of the other semi-formed projects ;)

I'm thinking of playing it but using other figures so that, if I hate it, I can move it on with the figures still in their sprues. In fact, I see there are rules for using Space Hulk tiles so I don't even have to break out the board pieces.

ASC uses small hidden map pieces so that the Tyranid player knows the layout of the ship while the Imperial guy doesnt.  They are a pretty necessary part of the game that could be very easily duplicated with the geotiles from the 1st ed Space Hulk: Deathwing expansion if you have that.

Looks like a game to set up and play over a few days - wonder if I can play it solo....

As a lot of the Marine players game is about not knowing where the Tyranids are and how dense their forces are I think that playing solo will lose a lot of what makes the game fun.  Then again, I am no expert on solo play of board or tabletop games so maybe you will get a kick out of it.

Its not the best miniatures boardgame that I ever played but I definitely have a fondness for elements of it.  I hope that you get some fun out of it.  If you do get it played then I would like to know what conclusions you come to, bad or good.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:10:02 PM »
Yep - I've got Deathwing - once again, never used it....

I don't play much solo myself but I sometimes run a game I'm new to as a solo so that when I play against someone, at least one of us has an idea of the rules. I don't know enough about ASC yet but I would have thought some sort of random mechanics could be introduced for the Tyranid side to maintain the surprise element for the marines.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Update - I think I'm going to sell it. I set out to have a trial game but after looking at all the unused components, I couldn't bring myself to break everything out to have, in all likelihood, one game and then not look at it again.

So - any recommendations where to sell it? Is ebay the best option?

Doug

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
50 quid, eh? And it's been used. Well, well....

Thanks

Doug

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
There were addiotnal rules in White Dwarf iirc for both Advanced Space Crusade, and then later for Tyrannid attack.