Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689497
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HELP ! ! !  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 01:34:24 AM »
I've heard "babycart" hundreds of times. "Babycart at the River Styx" for instance (which I suddenly got an immense urge to re-read, BTW).

Wish I could help you with the painter's block. Truth is, I've never been able to deal with it myself. My only solution has been to lower my painting standards, so I can get the miniatures finished with less effort. I use a lot of drybrushing in place of meticulous highlights, for instance. It means I tend to end up with ugly-ass miniatures (especially when compared to the stuff that gets displayed on this forum!), but at least I get them finished.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Squint

• Assistant
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 10:33:09 AM »
Hi,

I fully sympathise with anyone suffering from the dread painter's block.....especially as I'm sort of in the same position.

About two weeks ago, it hit and it hit hard.

I even went a full 7 days without picking up a brush at all.

However, I am working my way out of it.....albeit slowly.

My current block started when I became totally bogged down in a couple of projects.....15mm WW2 Finnish infantry and Copplestone's Gurkhas (is it just me or are these really hard to paint?)

Anyway, I've put both of these projects to one side and given myself a few juicy odds and ends to paint just to get the enthusiasm back.

There's nothing like doing a solo really nice figure (Artizan's Thrilling Tales for starters) to get the juices flowing again......or even a quick bit of terrain.....something that isn't too fiddly to paint (lots of heavy dry-brushing) but which delivers above average results in a very short space of time (Snapdragon and Ainsty stuff ?)

Good luck.

Squint

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
While suffering from 'da block' (yo!), I like to do terrain or vehicles. Reorganize your desk. Put away some unfinished projects.

Just paint one figure completely. Even if you don't want to. Afterwards you'll feel much better :)
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »
I decided on an easier solution for the stay at the in-laws'; I brought my 2nd blister of Westwind Cairo civilians, and some Pulp Figures, and a handful of Uruk-Hai + some needle files and craft knives.

I managed to get 12 minis and a cart ready for basing and spraying - and with about 15 other minis sitting around in my 'ready for spray'-box, another full batch can be sprayed as soon as I get the 12 fully ready...

I hope to paint some more tis evening... but 'A Knight's Tale' is on, and as I have never watched that one... (it's on from 21.20, so I have an hour...)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
Deadlines help me very much.
It spurs me on if there's a deadline I have to meet.

I haven't done anything this week. But I have 2 weeks left to finish my tavern and 15 swashbucklers. Because I want to use them for a participation game at a convention.
This really helps me to get my stuff done in time. Otherwise I'd just say "I'm going to use this figures somewhen so it doesn't matter if I paint them today, or tomorrow...".
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
A week ain't painter's block! It's not even a tea-break! Sometimes I can go for months without being able to face picking up a brush.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
I also haven't painted anything last week... But I don't think anybody here needs to know how lazy I am.  :oops:

If you don't mind not to paint for months it's ok. I think this "painting blockage" is when you know you should paint some minis but can't encourage yourself to do anything. And that's how it is most of the time in my case.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
HELP ! ! !
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »
Well, I went back on the downer after Eastern... and right now my work takes up too much of my time (going to Copenhagen for meetings several times a week) and my two little daughters have discovered, that the sun still shines at bedtime  :cry:

I'll probably not get much done in the near future, which really bugs me, as I'm so close to be able to stage a pulp game. I even managed to get my first attempt at a sand dune done during Eastern (not a convincing piece of terrain, but useable).