Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Emailing topics: Virus warning.  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Emailing topics: Virus warning.
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
Hi there guys,

forwarded a topic to a mate's email address using the send topic feature and he's emailed me back saying that his mac rejected the email due to viruses.

Just thought I should let you know.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Emailing topics: Virus warning.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »
Well, I did a check on my machine (running the latest McAfee suite and scanning all mail), and it didn´t give me any warning. Could it be that your colleague´s settings are a bit restrictive, or that he mistook a "Spam" warning for a "virus" warning? Don´t know much about Mac security, but I suggest the recipient side should also be checked to see where the problem lies.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
Well, I did a check on my machine (running the latest McAfee suite and scanning all mail), and it didn´t give me any warning. Could it be that your colleague´s settings are a bit restrictive, or that he mistook a "Spam" warning for a "virus" warning? Don´t know much about Mac security, but I suggest the recipient side should also be checked to see where the problem lies.

And without getting all ancy, I have never had any problems either but again like you know nothing of Mac environments. It would have been remiss of me if I didn't flag it up.

I'll update him and if anything comes from it post up.

The Commander.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
And without getting all ancy, I have never had any problems either but again like you know nothing of Mac environments. It would have been remiss of me if I didn't flag it up.

I'll update him and if anything comes from it post up.

The Commander.

Well, I run a rather tight ship on my internet communications wherever possible, and a ton of harmless mails get flagged for "SPAM" and "suspicious" at first time, so I´d assumed it could be the same with your mate´s rig. Good to bring it up, though. Over the last few years, I´ve had the experience that a lot of "SPAM" and "VIRUS" warnings are bogus due to an oversensitive security suite, for example considering all mails which contain a hyperlink in it as dangerous unless coming from a trusted friend; since he meight not have had the forum mail adress saved, it might be as easy as that.

Edit: Double-checked using my University webmailer, and that one went through their scanner without a hitch, too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:24:36 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
I run a Mac and yes sometimes emails that have links in them end up in the Spam folder.

On the other hand, my email address is a Yahoo one, so it's their spam filters that are a bit overactive, not mine. I realise I can adjust the spam filters, but 1-I haven't (so they're Yahoo's settings), and 2-the account doesn't care whether I access it from a Mac or a PC.

I'm not sure if I'm helping at all, I'm afraid.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Well, I run a rather tight ship on my internet communications wherever possible, and a ton of harmless mails get flagged for "SPAM" and "suspicious" at first time, so I´d assumed it could be the same with your mate´s rig. Good to bring it up, though. Over the last few years, I´ve had the experience that a lot of "SPAM" and "VIRUS" warnings are bogus due to an oversensitive security suite, for example considering all mails which contain a hyperlink in it as dangerous unless coming from a trusted friend; since he meight not have had the forum mail adress saved, it might be as easy as that.

Edit: Double-checked using my University webmailer, and that one went through their scanner without a hitch, too.

Probably simple over active security as you say, he's using a hotmail account too and we've all seen how security conscious they've been of late! ;)

The Commander