Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: .45 Rules  (Read 2646 times)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
.45 Rules
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:00:49 AM »
uhm...maybe I am too supid but I wanted to try out the .45 rules..seems like a very nice set, but I couldn't figure out what the starting values for the different grades are.
The given example heroes all have slightly different stats and I am aware that you can change them during creation, but what is the starting value?  :?
Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
    • http://www.tabletop-terrain.com
.45 Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:00:19 AM »
.45 is 'archetype' based, so whatever ruleset you have will contain a bunch of archetypes like 'Journalist', 'Gumshoe' etc. that dictate the starting statistics for heroes or villains of that particular archetype, as well as the skills and statistic improvements they can purchase to customise their archetype.

Naturally the level of the starting statistics as well as the amount they can be improved is dictated by the Grade of the archetype. So Grade 3 characters will have good starting stats and a wide range of skill choices to improve those stats or learn particular 'rules bending' skills. While Grade 1 characters will have mediocre starting stats and not much room to improve them.

Errr hope that helps? Possibly not the clearest?

My 2c.
Tabletop Terrain Gaming in 28 and 15mm!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
.45 Rules
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:12:12 AM »
As stated, each archetype has different starting values (well most do, some may share the same starts). Each archetype then has different skills they can take to increase those stats. A Grade 3 can choose 10 skills, a Grade 2 can take 7 and a Grade 1 can take 4.  Grade 1/2 are even more limited.

Don't try and work out points and costs. Each archetype is different and brings something different to the game. As the games are based around scenarios, the goal is to build a team that has a good mix of skills. You can build a team of combat veterans and do well in some scenarios, but others will find you shooting but getting nowhere.

Think of the rules as telling a story with each player as one of the writers.

The free demo version of the rules does not include the character creation rules which is why you may have some difficulty figuring out values. You can get a good feel for what their intent is by running through some of the demos put up on the website.

And as always, you can feel free to ask any questions you may have here, on The Miniatures Page, on the HLSS Yahoo Group, or e-mail me directly. I scan all of these frequently and I am always happy to help.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
.45 Rules
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:29:36 AM »
Yepp I got the demo version..that explains it. Thanks a lot! Will give the game a try next week  :)