Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: operation World war 2  (Read 2870 times)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
operation World war 2
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »

Hi,
Some time ago,(about February) there was an announcement about revamped rules for the Italeri 1/72 game Operation World war 2. It was supposed to be released in June with Army sets following on. Since then I've heard nothing. Does anyone else know what happened to this?

Cheers

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Re: operation World war 2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »

Oh dear.Guess not... :(

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
Is it possibly connected to this?

http://www.alzozero.it/eng/html/game.html

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
Is it possibly connected to this?

http://www.alzozero.it/eng/html/game.html

Yes, it is. But there was due to be a shiny 'new' version out in June but I've heard nothing.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
guys, i know the main playtester of this game, and this game is awful!!! I played some matches:

for the pros, it is probably the more historical accurate game I've ever seen: when making the army you can choose only in platoons and options, everything like in the real history. for the same reasons there are also the realistic range of weapons (a normal rifle is more than 1 meter of range, and the .88 is 10 meters!!! that's ridicolous)
other pro, there is a really interesting rule about the line of sight: instead of being decided by the attacker weapon, it is mostly decided by the victim situation: if he is hidden and behind a brush, the distance of "being noticed" is around 10-20 cm, but if you are running in a plain field shooting, you can be seen through the whole battlefield.

for the cons:
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY A MATCH: really, even if you are REALLY experienced, you take more than 1 hour for playing a turn, and the standard match is for about 8 turns
it is also really unrealistic the dynamic of the fights: even if there are WH40K style troops, so splitted in small units, when an enemy shoot on you you can CHOOSE which one of yours die.
another ridicolous thing is that when you shoot with a tank, or a cannon, or a pzshriek, if you miss the target the granade ...disappear... I mean, it is pretty common in this kind of game, but if you are making a completely foolish-like game for people with eight our to spend... Well let this granade explode somewhere else!!! :)

complexive vote: 5/10 (only for the good proposals)

I hope this will be helpfull for you!

P.S.: I know that it is another version, but it is sostantially the same stuff, since 3 years!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »
Molte Grazie Sangennaru!

I remembered vague references to the rules some time ago and there had been no response to General M@yhem's question... hence my interest. However your summary of the rules is most welcome.

My attitude towards modern weapons is that the ranges of the weapons are secondary to the skill of the person using them, but even the poorest trained soldier is mostly capable of hitting his target within the distance of the average tabletop played on. Grenades and shells will cover a large area with their blast too. For these reasons we alter the ground scale, so perhaps it is naive of the author to try and maintain a true scale.

It is a shame though, my brief skim through the site gave me the impression that the guy had some good ideas and had put a lot of effort into the system.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
that's exactely what I meant... Watching them playing is just like watching kids playing: they are imaging a game that is not what's happening... cause they made it... For me, that I started playing 3 years ago, it was something pretty boring (even if the maniacal recontstruction is kind of exciting, when preparing your army!)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:16 PM »

Thanks for the comments about gameplay. I'm still interested to know what happened to the game itself. Did Nexus just not bother with launching it? If not, why not? Was gameplay that bad?Any other info would be useful.

Bryce

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
My last game lasted 60 minutes and we played 20 mil on a 1x1 meter board.
The realistic ranges didnt really matter at all.
The game was fast paced and exciting. What I liked about the game was the way initiative was handled. Although there was too much luck involved.
What I didnt like were the tables for everything.
Maybe that helps too.
Cheers
Björn
, ,