Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations Please for new collections  (Read 5791 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Recommendations Please for new collections
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
Sinewgrab, you can have an up close look at my Pulp Figures Chinese when I get through the mess of moving to my Dad's house, just for guaging size.  I know you must have looked at the pictures of the Pulp Figures Chinese on the company website.

For French, don't overlook lines of Franco-Prussian War figures.  For the historically challenged, that's 1870.  Also French in Mexico in the 1860's.  From Crimean War through early WW1 the French generally wore dark blue coats and red pants and kepis.  There were different uniforms for marines and forces sent out to the colonies though.  So you could feel free to have some different looking French.  Old Glory has some French marines in sun helmet in the Boxer Rebellion line, and I'm not sure if Old Glory has a Franco-Prussian War line.  If you want to go higher class, Foundry has a Franco-Prussian War line, as best I recall, and some French in Mexico.  If you wanted to go more exotic, you could send some of France's North and West African colonial troops to Mars.  Some Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, and Senegalese Tiraillers and cavalry would spice things up.

If you want to try a British force in a VSF game, I've got about 50 or so painted and based late 19th Century British in khaki, about 38 foot and the rest officers and artillery crew, along with 3 cannon and a couple of gatling guns.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 07:28:42 PM »
Sinewgrab, you can have an up close look at my Pulp Figures Chinese when I get through the mess of moving to my Dad's house, just for guaging size.  I know you must have looked at the pictures of the Pulp Figures Chinese on the company website.

For French, don't overlook lines of Franco-Prussian War figures.  For the historically challenged, that's 1870.  Also French in Mexico in the 1860's.  From Crimean War through early WW1 the French generally wore dark blue coats and red pants and kepis.  There were different uniforms for marines and forces sent out to the colonies though.  So you could feel free to have some different looking French.  Old Glory has some French marines in sun helmet in the Boxer Rebellion line, and I'm not sure if Old Glory has a Franco-Prussian War line.  If you want to go higher class, Foundry has a Franco-Prussian War line, as best I recall, and some French in Mexico.  If you wanted to go more exotic, you could send some of France's North and West African colonial troops to Mars.  Some Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, and Senegalese Tiraillers and cavalry would spice things up.

If you want to try a British force in a VSF game, I've got about 50 or so painted and based late 19th Century British in khaki, about 38 foot and the rest officers and artillery crew, along with 3 cannon and a couple of gatling guns.

I will take you up on that, Warren. If you aren't careful, I'll build you some small aeronefs and make you start playing V&S&F.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Perry figures are rather small, and would not fit in well wih Brigades. I think redoubt's British should fit in well, though.
For the French, I would reccomend Dixon's FFL range, they should fit in fairly nicely.

Actually, they are not as small as many people assume. Here is a pic of a Copplestone on the left and Perry on the right:

When I bought them, I thought I'd have to keep them in separate units, but now I think they should work mixed in together  :D

Mind you, they are too small to use in the same unit as Redoubt, so maybe they would not be compatible with Brigade?

So, if I am reading this right, I should look at:

French - Brigade Games, Renegade, Foundry

British - Empress, Perry,

Chinese - Redoubt, Foundry, Copplestone, Scheltrum

Excellent. I have never looked at the Empress figures before. I'll have to take a gander.

Sinewgrab, I think you could happily use some of the Copplestone range with your British forces, eg the Officer types, Naval Brigade and Sikhs. Also, should you wish to do Germans [natural enemies of the French  ;) ], the Copplestone figures are also very nice.

There are also some nice "Chinese Pirates" in the Foundry Pirate range which mix in well with Foundry and Redoubt 19thC Boxers.