Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dixon Samurai - Bloody JimBibbly (6)  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Dixon Samurai - Bloody JimBibbly (6)
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
Thanks to JimBibbly I have got the samurai bug again. All due to being fortunate enough to play a game on some of his marvellous castle terrain at BLAM. I shall not bore you with details of the game (you now know I didn't win) but starting from an advantageous position (sarcasm) pinned between Green Knight and young Fastolfrus (sorry Alisdair I do not know a forum name) amongst others I had to make and break alliances before it all kicked off near the end. I survived a damnsite longer than Bibbly mind - we all did lol

A trip into the attic and after at least 20 years this chap finally had his time under my brush.

I was going to paint a mon on the sashimono but as I want samurai for the Korean invasion I will make or get some decals of the Toyotomi design - cheating but it will look far better (not to mention its a fiddly affair)

Svennn
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:53:28 PM by Svennn »
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Re: Dixon Samurai - Bloody JimBibbly
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Great work Svennn.  I have been trying to avoid Samurai until I finish some other projects, but post like this one sure make it hard.   :-*

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
Looking very nice. :)

I still love those old big headed Dixon Samurai, they have loads of character.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »
very nice svennn  :-*

Im a great fan of the dixon range. I like the perry range of course but i find them too difficult to paint well. The Dixon range paint up so well and they have a nice character to them.

Great work again and hopefully you will get to paint more.
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Nice work Svenn.  8)

I received a bunch of Dixon’s Ninja and Samurai figures lately and that sure made me thinking about painting some…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »
Top stuff, a really nice figure.  :)

I haven't been brave enough to go up into the loft since I got back from BLAM - don't want that "completed project" shine to wear off again!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »
I survived a damnsite longer than Bibbly mind - we all did  lol

:P  :P  :P

I wasn't suppossed to win  ;D

Very nicley painted figure, I'm not keen on the Dixon Samurai but you've done a cracking job there and it's very hard not to like it  :D

Kuroda Nagamasa had a white background with a blue ring as his mon so you could do that.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
Excellent Job Svenn 8) 

I'll vote for Dixon's, they're excellent castings and have a charm all their own.  :-*
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
I think I may have a few Dixon Ninja and one or two samurai knocking around Svennn, if you want them for your new collection.
I've had them in my lead pile for - oooh - 20 years? I'm never going to use them, so if you want them...
Nice paintwork by the way.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »
I love this figure

Your painting is excellent, this figure is nicely colourful  :D

dodge

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
Thanks a lot chaps. I'm rather down on my painting at present and it certainly helps posting and getting replies. I am rather disappointed with the photos as I think he looks far better in the hand.

RJ - I was nodding when I read your post. I find the Perry too small for me which is a shame as its definately the best range. Then I remembered the seated guy you did sometime ago, one of the best I have seen. I did an army of TAG Gempei a couple of years ago which paint up great but are also a little eccentric in sculpting style.

JimBib - I considered the blue circle but its a bit plain, I hope the other will look more flash :D. Painting the mon on this guy would be fine, its when I have to do all the rest that it becomes a problem/chore and I doubt I could keep them consistent.

Capt. B - Oh the memories of coming away from Trevors stand with the wallet wrapped catalogue and a bag full of samurai. I reckon its 25 years since I bought my first Dixons and this is the first I have been anywhere near happy with my attempt at painting one. What do you want for the ninja etc.?

Svennn

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
I am rather disappointed with the photos as I think he looks far better in the hand.

Twas ever so. I'm forever painting things and thinking "Wow! This is the best-painted miniature I've ever done!" and then after taking a photo of it going "Oh, no it isn't. It's actually quite shit." I find it rather disheartening when this happens (and it happens a lot to me). I guess you just have to be a man about it, pick yourself up and vow to do better next time.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:20:27 PM »

Capt. B - Oh the memories of coming away from Trevors stand with the wallet wrapped catalogue and a bag full of samurai. I reckon its 25 years since I bought my first Dixons and this is the first I have been anywhere near happy with my attempt at painting one. What do you want for the ninja etc.?

Svennn

No charge, old boy. If I can find the blighters, deep in the deepest lost seam of the lead mountain, I'll be very happy to send them (and their pumpkin heads) off to a new home where they might get a bit of TLC...
I think one of them might even be painted (but by my 20 year old self, so not quite a tidy as nowadays...  ;)) I honestly haven't seen them for years, but I'm sure they're there somewhere, buried in a box - you know how it is... Just biding their time  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
young Fastolfrus (sorry Alisdair I do not know a forum name)

Being oppressive parents we don't let him have his own log in - besides we only have the one computer so we read the forum like the Stygian Witches.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
Lovely paint job. I used to have a pile of those Dixon samurai - such great sculpts, in all their big-headed glory. I wonder what happened to them, must have got lost in a house move back in ancient times.

Thanks to JimBibbly I have got the samurai bug again. All due to being fortunate enough to play a game on some of his marvellous castle terrain at BLAM.

Ha! I was wary of even going near Jim's table - too gorgeous to look at, and as I'm just wrapping up a project and am planning another I wasn't sure I needed the distraction... Really, you need to take a set of blinkers to BLAM, there's just too much eye candy.