Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How often do you use inks and drybrushing?  (Read 7031 times)

Offline Squint

• Assistant
How often do you use inks and drybrushing?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »
Hi,

I only use drybrushing on bases and animals (however, I do drybrush and ink 15mm stuff including figs).

But......

......I have recently discovered the joys of Vallejo's smoke paint(70939) it is effectively a wash, and used over a normally painted item (and carefully brush off any excess) it gives a really nice leather effect.

as on this Artizan Thrilling Tales chap who is a work in progress.

Squint.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
That looks fantastic, a really great leathery texture.  :)

I'll have to look out for some of that stuff.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline gnu2000

• Student
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
I seldom use drybrushing in figures as I'm very bad at it. I do use a lot of washes and inks though. In particular I use inks for leatherwork and most horses.

I reserve drybrushing for vehicles and fur, followed up with washes to tone-down the effect.

cheers
Steve

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »
Quote from: "Squint"

......I have recently discovered the joys of Vallejo's smoke paint(70939) it is effectively a wash, and used over a normally painted item (and carefully brush off any excess) it gives a really nice leather effect.
Squint.

If you like Valejo Smoke, I suggest you try the Valejo Air Burnt Umbre. It is even better an more versatile. In fact the whole Valejo Air range of colors  (high pigmentation, high fluiidity paints formulated for air brushes) beats most washes and inks I know of.

Offline Squint

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
I came across the Vallajo smoke paint by accident.....I was doing some swaps with a friend and somehow or other he had aquired two pots of the stuff, so he gave me one of them.

At first I didn't know what to do with it and came by using it to enhance leather totally by mistake.

Anyway, I'll probably try out Vallajo's wood paint next time I go to the shop and see what that does.

Squint.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »
Uhhh...you guys are way out of my league....when I paint miniatures, which I don't do much of, honestly....

***cringes and prepares for his beating***

I use the Future Floor Wax method and either paint or ink, and some drybrushing here and there.  I have found that I like the results when painting hair much better when I layer multiple highlight colors, it gives more depth than drybrushing, so much more.

When it comes to paint, I try and use the Folk Art paints and what little Citadel paints I still have from my GW days.  I don't spend money on expensive brushes or paints.

Truth is, I don't really paint much at all, and lately I have been mostly doing terrain projects...ie...cheap stuff I can not spend much $$$ on, and get finished off to make the games look more appealing.  This weekend I will spend a few hours finishing off some cobblestone road sections I made ages ago and never really completed.  Now half of them are done, so I will do that.  

I have found that when basing terrain I just go with a three color green scheme and I think it looks very good like that.  Hell, some day I will get myself a digital camera and see about posting some pictures on here for you all to thumb your noses at!

UncleRhino