Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ironclad MIB  (Read 9912 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Ironclad MIB
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Adey: great figures, really well painted, excellent job.

... some troops for my "proto-UNIT" forces  ;D

Hmm, maybe even an armoured vehicle or two.....

Sounds great, I'd be very interested in how that would work... and how you'd paint them. 'Traditional' style, the VSF equivalent being greeen jackets and khaki pith-helmets I guess, or 'modern' style, in black jackets and red pith-helmets? I take it, they will have pith-helmets? Or perhaps Glengarrys would work... ooh, I'm going to run away and work out how to do UNIT in 1889 now. Nice figs for Torchwood too.. only thing is (and obviously it's not your fault), you need more girls. Pretty sure even in the Victorian era, Torchwood was an equal ops employer.

If only there were more female figures out there (for just about every range imaginable). Off the top of my head, I'm looking for about 15 Victorian females from aristocratic adventuresses to French assassins to plucky serving girls... and Foundry is about the only place I've found that does more than one or two.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:35:02 PM by Red Orc »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

If only there were more female figures out there (for just about every range imaginable). Off the top of my head, I'm looking for about 15 Victorian females from aristocratic adventuresses to French assassins to plucky serving girls... and Foundry is about the only place I've found that does more than one or two.

I agree with paintjob!

I also second the comments about the girls. Indeed there is need for more female figures!!!
Hope that we shall see some more figures soon.
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

Try westwind Miniatures and Eureka, they have a fair amount of Female Victorian ladies.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »

Sounds great, I'd be very interested in how that would work... and how you'd paint them. 'Traditional' style, the VSF equivalent being greeen jackets and khaki pith-helmets I guess, or 'modern' style, in black jackets and red pith-helmets? I take it, they will have pith-helmets? Or perhaps Glengarrys would work... ooh, I'm going to run away and work out how to do UNIT in 1889 now. Nice figs for Torchwood too.. only thing is (and obviously it's not your fault), you need more girls. Pretty sure even in the Victorian era, Torchwood was an equal ops employer.

I'm torn between home service dress and khaki  :? 

My Brigadier (Algernon Lethbridge-Stewart, ancestor of the recent version) is in khaki, because I love the figure. I don't want to start designing snazzy uniforms, as I imagine them to be a pretty covert unit, unlike the high-profile modern versions. Her Majesty ( Gawd bless 'er) in "Tooth and Claw" seemed very keen to keep the whole alien/paranormal thing quiet, so having a very visible unit might be counter-productive.
I'm very tempted to use Ironclad's infantry, but painted as the rifle Brigade. They were quite an elite unit and trained to be quick-thinking, use self-reliance and small-unit tactics, so they seem an ideal recruitment source to me.

I'm more than happy to recruit suitable young ladies, but you are right, the problem is finding the right figures. I have virtually all of Foundry's Darkest Africa and Victorian females, but not too many fit. There is one that I got along with the freebie "Queen Vic with shotgun" several years ago, who is armed with a pistol. She would be a good addition. I'll have to look through that section of the lead mountain for more recruits  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
Try westwind Miniatures and Eureka, they have a fair amount of Female Victorian ladies.

Good suggestions, as ever ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »

Also BlueMoonManufacturing.
But having all of them, still need some more different figures!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »
There was in fact a 'Victorian' episode of Torchwood and the two agents operating in Cardiff at that time were both female.

The troops present at the creation of Torchwood were Scottish weren't they? I'd go with that and make it a scott's regiment.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »
There was in fact a 'Victorian' episode of Torchwood and the two agents operating in Cardiff at that time were both female.

The troops present at the creation of Torchwood were Scottish weren't they? I'd go with that and make it a scott's regiment.

These would would work at a pinch if the tunic was painted scarlet and the kilts in tartan.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14158.0

For a really off the wall Torchwood look what about Copplestone naval brigade painted up in blue/black with a red sailor hat - or is that just plain silly?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:49:23 PM by Malamute »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
Was there supposed to be a pic in there Nick?

Not sure I like the idea of black and red Naval Brigade. Might work with a rifles unit with Glengarry though, some of the tunics were such a dark green they looked black anyway.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
Musketeer WW1 Hihghlanders could work with Glengarries especially as they are tooled up all modern like (for 1889)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
I like the WWI highlander idea. The Lee-Enfields could be experimental weapons which wouldn't look too distinctive to Joe Public  8)

The red caps and blackish uniforms would make good continuity to the latest UNIT, but unfortunately that sidesteps the 70s version with their SAS style beige berets and 60s olive green combats.  :?

Maybe I'll try some of Empress's Zulu War British in glengarries, painted as Rifles.

Meanwhile, here are two more female recruits:

Both from Foundry. I particularly like the one in the very impractical Victorian dress, holding the revolver in the two-handed pose we've come to expect in every police or thriller film  lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
I like the WWI highlander idea. The Lee-Enfields could be experimental weapons which wouldn't look too distinctive to Joe Public  8)

Not all that experimental. The British Army had magazine rifles by 1888. Okay, not that particular magazine rifle, but apart from the end of the barrel, a Lee-Metford doesn't look all that different to a SMLE, especially if viewed by someone who isn't too particular about such things.  :)

The glaring anachronism that would make them a no-no for me is the 08 pattern webbing.  ;)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
Two very good points, Plynkes.

the rifle would be ok - I'd forgotten the Lee-Metford would be contemporary, but the webbing would look wrong  :-[

Looks like I'll use either Ironclad in Home Service Uniform, or Empress Zulu War - maybe with the pith helmet in rifle green and the badge painted in red. That way they will look different froim regular troops, but not glaringly so :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »

the rifle would be ok - I'd forgotten the Lee-Metford would be contemporary, but the webbing would look wrong  :-[

Do remember this is VSF who cares if the webbing is wrong. If the figures look good use them ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Do remember this is VSF who cares if the webbing is wrong. If the figures look good use them ;)

You're right, of course  lol