Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ironclad MIB  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Ironclad MIB
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »
Plus I'd point out that Modern Unit/Torchwood has access to lasers etc so I see no reason why the 1889 version couldn't have webbing that the normal army didn't start using for another 19 years.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »
I was actually joking about the webbing, hence the  ";)" at the end.

This being VSF and all that, I figured we were working to a less than strict framework regarding that type of thing. Paint it in a nice blanco colour or black leather and it'd look Victorian enough.

Edit: I'm being even more anachronistic than anyone here! "Blanco" is a 1930s and onwards thing, ain't it!  lol White. I mean white.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:23:51 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »

This being VSF and all that, I figured we were working to a less than strict framework regarding that type of thing. Paint it in a nice blanco colour or black leather and it'd look Victorian enough.

I think the replies were mostly aimed at Gluteus rather than you Plynkes (for once :D )

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »
I think the replies were mostly aimed at Gluteus rather than you Plynkes (for once :D )

Yep solely aimed at old Big Bum this time ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
Yep solely aimed at old Big Bum this time ;)

Thats my pet name for him - find your own >:D
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
The red caps and blackish uniforms would make good continuity to the latest UNIT, but unfortunately that sidesteps the 70s version with their SAS style beige berets and 60s olive green combats.  :?

Maybe I'll try some of Empress's Zulu War British in glengarries, painted as Rifles...

That's why I was suggesting green jackets (so they looked like a rifle regiment) but khaki (=beige, more or less) pith-helmets (or glengarries). Black and red would be very odd, but quite striking.

The whole thing is a bit conceptually weird, as UNIT is supposed to be multi-national... what would a Prussian or French UNIT unit wear?

...Meanwhile, here are two more female recruits:

Both from Foundry. I particularly like the one in the very impractical Victorian dress, holding the revolver in the two-handed pose we've come to expect in every police or thriller film  lol

Excellent minis both of them. Hurrah for any Victorian adventuresses!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:59 PM »

Edit: I'm being even more anachronistic than anyone here! "Blanco" is a 1930s and onwards thing, ain't it!  lol White. I mean white.

Yes, I missed that "winky" and have to admit that I do get carried away sometimes by the need for "accuracy". Probably from spending too much time playing Napoleonics. It really is important to get the correct button spacing on your 15mm Coldstream Guardsmen, after all  ;)

And as for the Chuckle Brothers with their pet names  >:(

lol lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
The whole thing is a bit conceptually weird, as UNIT is supposed to be multi-national... what would a Prussian or French UNIT unit wear?

Presumably the other Nationalities in the 20th/21st centuries would have their own uniforms, equipment and weapons, but adopt the UNIT beret and badges - much like the real-life UN troops do.

I don't know about 19thC though. Personally I'm not going to use my troops specifically as UNIT, more as an early ancester developed in the UK to support Torchwood and later expanded to other nations when the threat from above was recognised. That's the gaming justification for keeping it British - in practice I don't have the time or money to have other nations involved ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
UNIT prior to 1945 doesn't make sense anyway unless we are talking alternate timelines or something, as it's an arm of the U.N. They only changed it so that the U.N. part of UNIT doesn't stand for United Nations any more because the real U.N. asked the makers of Doctor Who to stop using their name.

Torchwood and UNIT, while they might have similar goals, don't seem to me like organisations that would be too happy cooperating. I see them as rivals (for resources, if nothing else), if not quite enemies.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »
UNIT prior to 1945 doesn't make sense anyway unless we are talking alternate timelines or something, as it's an arm of the U.N. They only changed it so that the U.N. part of UNIT doesn't stand for United Nations any more because the real U.N. asked the makers of Doctor Who to stop using their name.

Torchwood and UNIT, while they might have similar goals, don't seem to me like organisations that would be too happy cooperating. I see them as rivals (for resources, if nothing else), if not quite enemies.

A bit like the British police and MI5, or US police and the FBI then. A good point and true of the series in the 21stC, but as I've already had a good telling off for this sort of thing, I'm going to use them together in the VSF 19thC and say they fell out later.

So there!

lol lol

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
To hell with rest of the world! Unless they're a colony of course, or let our boys in to do their thing no questions asked :D

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Whant more ladies? ;)  Try Brigade Games the Victorian Gangster range has some gangs intented for New York with some women, the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T range has women in ACW Zouave uniforms and the "Victoria Hawes" character comes in five different poses each with 11 diffrent hands (some left some right) I have the Pith Helmet & Binoculars pose. The Virtual Armchair General has the B'hoys range also based on that film about certain New York gangs-I always thought that the "Police" both Municipal and Metropolitan might serve over this side of the pond as some sort of corporate/company/factory police -keep order with the downtrodden workers or keep prying eyes away.
gan canny kidder!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »
The Virtual Armchair General has the B'hoys range also based on that film about certain New York gangs-I always thought that the "Police" both Municipal and Metropolitan might serve over this side of the pond as some sort of corporate/company/factory police -keep order with the downtrodden workers or keep prying eyes away.

Oooooooh! I can think of a use for these chaps. Has anyone got any? I notice they are advertised as 28mm but wondering how they compare to other manufacturers.
Don't!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 04:04:33 AM »
TC, They size quite nicely with everything else I have.  I picked up the pack of personalities ie Butcher Bill and Co at the Fall In flea market, they had a pack of the coppers too but I passed as I don't have a use for them.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'