Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Amulet, a Song of Blades and Heroes battle report  (Read 14093 times)

Offline HYPERPOWER!

• Bookworm
    • I Bury The Gods
The Amulet, a Song of Blades and Heroes battle report
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
Hi all.

I played a game of Song of Blades and Heroes with my partner last night. It was still a bit of a learning curve for us, but we've had great fun nevertheless. It was a close game too!

Anyway, we took a lot of photos during the game and I thought that writing up a battle report is pretty good way of documenting them.

My warband consisted of a scantily-clad barbarian lady and her goat-like sidekick. We've decided that the lady had come in possession of an amulet capable of raising the dead. She's heading for a dungeon where a number of catfolk were entombed, hoping to raise herself enough mindless soldiers to make a living off plunder. Her sidekick's an unwilling collaborator. They pick up a number of mummies that sprout from a barrow not far from the dungeon on their way.

The little lady's warband consisted of 5 catfolk archers, one of whom was a bit more advanced than the rest, 2 crocodile warriors and 1 crocodile behemoth. They were there to stop the barbarian lady from desecrating their ancestors' graves.

We've ruled that I'd begin the game with 5 mummies on the barrow hill, then roll 1D6 every turn thereafter. If I score 4+, I'd place another 5 until I've extracted all 15 from the ground.

As it happened, I placed the other 10 over two consecutive turns.

The warbands were:

Myran's Men
Figures: 8
Cost: 411

1 x Myran, the Catfolk Captain (Q2+; C3; Long Move; Shooter: Medium)
4 x Catfolk Archer (Q3+; C3; Shooter: Medium)
2 x Crocodile Hammerer (Q3+; C3; Big; Long Move; Savage)
1 x Crocodile Behemoth (Q3+; C4; Big; Heavy Armor; Savage)

Ursula's Deadites
Figures: 17
Cost: 388

1 x Ursula, the Barbarian (Q3+; C3; Leader)
2 x Ander, the Slinger (Q3+; C2; Long Move; Shooter: Medium)
10 x Mummy Warrior (Q4+; C3; Mindless; Short Move)
5 x Mummy (Q4+; C2; Mindless; Short Move)

I'll try to include only the minimum of photos to keep the post length down. You can see the full set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18562240@N07/sets/72157622733809433/

Here's the setup we settled on:

The river was impassable (pretend water). The dungeon connected to the sides of the board was meant to lie underneath the river, with an entrance on either side.

My goal was to bring the barbarian lady to the altar room you can see in the dungeon.

My opponent's goal was to kill her. Here's her setup:

I won the initiative and began by moving Ander to the side of the bridge, where he could shoot at enemies who'd stand on it.

Ursula issued a group move order to the mummies and had them shambling towards the bridge.

My opponent sent both crocodile warriors to the bridge to check my advance. The bridge would only allow up to three mummies to stand side by side, so she banked on the superior combat score of the crocodiles to hold my troops in the bottleneck.

Second turn saw another 5 mummies rise from the mass grave to swell my ranks. The crocodile warriors now occupied the bridge. Ander's sling could do little to pierce their tough leather hides.

The mummies clashed with the enemy at the foot of the bridge.

The next pic is pretty indicative of my luck throughout the game. ):

While the deadites were tied up with the crocs, Ursula legged it towards the dungeon, hoping to sneak into the altar room.

My opponent placed two archers across from the path Ursula would need to take to enter the dungeon--

--but Ander showed his loyalty by diverting their attention. Ursula successfully reached the ill-lit opening.

Ander evaded the arrows to follow Ursula into the dungeon, but Myran shot him dead as he rounded a corner.

Ursula fled from the dungeon. In the absence of her leadership, the mummies suffered casualties on the bridge. Her renewed presence reinvigorated their fighting spirit. The first crocodile warrior was brought down.

Outnumbered 3 to 1, the other followed shortly.

A lonely catfolk archer abandoned aim and let arrows loose over the sprawling horde.

His comrade in arms rushed to his side.

Together they formed a makeshift line of defense while another archer was closing in to assist them. A fourth archer took up position on top of the hill, hoping to spot the barbarian defiler and end the invasion with a single arrow.

The catfolk brought down another mummy before the undead horde washed over them.

One of the archers fell down, but recovered quickly.

Another mummy was laid to its final rest.

The remainder of my warband pulled up to the battle line.

The undead finally managed to break the line of defenders by killing one of the archers.

It was only a matter of time until the others followed suit.

The last archer was torn apart by the throng of walking dead.

My troops slowly approached the dungeon entrance.

Measuring sticks.

The archer stood fast in the face of certain death. This is the point where we've realized that neither of us have taken the morale tests once our warbands hit half their original number of models. So we decided to take it there. Nothing overly dramatic happened. The archer on the hill retreated into the forest, Ursula ran back over the bridge, and that was it. Everyone was back in business the following turn.

The archer had two opportunities to kill Ursula during the advance on the dungeon, but they were pretty remote and, chance had it, I made it to the entrance unscathed.

A couple of mummies fell down into the snow only to get back up the following turn.

The archer was doomed. He suffered a death so gruesome I could not bear to show a picture of it. p:

So my undead spilled into the dungeon.

Myran destroyed one of the mummies that assailed him, but, ultimately, his fate was sealed.

The behemoth did not care to stay in the doorway any longer and charged the mummies outside. He was so badly outnumbered that even his great strength failed to hurt my ranks.

He too suffered a gruesome death at the hands of mindless butchers.

Victory was mine! The way to the altar was clear. Ursula approached it and held out the amulet. The dead of the catacombs would serve her.

Final overview of the battlefield.

I can't recommend SoBaH enough. It's a great system - best skirmish rule set that I've come across so far. My partner enjoyed the game enough to vow vengeance once I get some appropriate minis painted up for a rematch.

Hope you've enjoyed the report.

-Michael
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:04:50 PM by HYPERPOWER! »
Check out I BURY THE GODS, a fun and intuitive ruleset for skirmish games in a demon-infested world. Visit www.iburythegods.com for more information.

Online BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: The Amulet, a Song of Blades and Heroes battle report
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
Great report and I agree with your comments about SBH. I just had a battle too:
http://baronvonj.blogspot.com/2009/11/saturday-night-song-of-blades.html
but with more players.
-J

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
Great report! nice picters, and vary well panted mins, I like  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
Perfectly painted minis these! The Basti are the nicest I´ve ever seen!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »
Looks like a fun game and gorgeous miniatures. You and the Baron should write up the scenarios for the Yahoo group. We need more scenarios on there, for lazy people like me who can't come up with their own.  :D
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
I completely agree with the comments about your painted minis. Great little pictures and I really like the story.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
Very very very nice battle report!! And excellent paintjobs on the figs! I have owned SoBH plus the 2 expansions for awhile now, but have yet to play a real game with it - I need to get cracking!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:31:39 AM »
I picked up SoB&H a while back, have had a couple of solo playtests, but haven't managed a proper game yet. More inspiration to fix that, soon!

The painting on all the miniatures is great, and the scenery is simple but effective - I like the dungeon setup off the side/under the river like that.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »
I need to give SoBH a go too!

Nice, clean and effective terrain - looks good. Who makes those mummies btw?

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
Yes, lovely minis, very effective winter terrain and a very entertaining report. I must try and play SBH more often.

One thing worries me though, why do these young folk always insist on wandering round without a coat in cold weather. I hope Ursula didn't catch a chill  :)

Offline HYPERPOWER!

• Bookworm
    • I Bury The Gods
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
G'day!

Thanks for the comments!

I'm not much of a mini painter. I painted the mummies and all the terrain. The goatboy was actually the first mini I painted, ever. Ursula, the crocodile-like Sebeki and the "catfolk" Basti were actually pro-painted for a fee.

The mummies, the cats and the crocs are all from Crocodile Games. Chris FitzPatrick is an outstanding sculptor. Check his stuff out at www.crocodilegames.com

The buildings and the dungeon were made by casting Hirst Arts molds. I mix Hydrostone with various cement oxides to colour the blocks.

The dungeon actually has a lot more modules, but it was unnecessary to include the lot for this game.

Here's a pic of all modules I've made so far:

The terrain board - I glued 30mm thick sheets of extruded polystyrene to 30x30mm cork tiles, spackled the surface and painted it with two coats of textured paint. The paint colour's called riverbed rocks or somesuch. The brand's Dulux.

Thanks again,

Michael

[EDIT] @Gluteus

The exposure to severe cold ensures her nipples deal piercing damage, obv.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:47:10 AM »
Excellent report of an seemingly excellent game. Love it.  :-*
The pro-painted miniatures are an eye-catcher as well - the money spent for these figs seems well deserved.

Only one thing confuses me a bit: Has climate crisis already reached the far South? Might be a reason for the epic fail of those hematocryal crocodile fellows. ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »

[EDIT] @Gluteus

The exposure to severe cold ensures her nipples deal piercing damage, obv.

lol lol lol

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
Great work Michael!  I love what you've done with your dungeon.

-Alex in Alaska

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
Woowww!!!! magnificent game, and top brushwork on the figs!!!!.
I totally agree with you and BaronVonJ about SBH.
And thanks for sharing!!!!