Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689701
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ideas for Boards for CoC games (North East US)  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Ideas for Boards for CoC games (North East US)
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:41:01 AM »
I am wrapping up my ruined chapel in the woods boards, and was thinking of what to build next.  So I figured I would share some of my ideas and get some input from this group. the list below is for the North East United States. they also come in two sizes, the small measures 16x16 and the large is 20x30

In Production:

Mansion (L)

Sanitarium (L)

Farm house at end of road (S)

Ruined chapel in the woods (S)

Planned:

Library (S, but might get over zealous on this one)

Antique store (S)

Pub (S)

Dock and Beack area (S)

Cave complex (L)

I have some ideas for areas such as Egypt, Africa, and China, but for now I am sticking with the US so I dont spread my self out too far.  I figure we can have another thread on that in the future.

Any ideas on other places of interest?

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Re: Ideas for Boards for CoC games (North East US)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:01:14 PM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
the list below is for the North East United States.
In other words: Arkham, MA :wink:

I want to do a Pub/Tavern myself, this will be a bit tricky because I want to use it for Swashbuckling as well as for Gothic Horror and Cthulhu adventures...

Have you thought about making the buildings modular? So you could take e.g. a smaller "library" room from your big Library and put it to the Mansion (as a reading room) or to the Antique store (for the back room where the occult books are stored).
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »
Withcfinder,
  Yes, technically, but not everything is going to match up with Arkham.  It will be close though. I might also have elements of New York in there as well.  

Not sure where you want ot place the tavern you want to build.  I know when I was in England and Scotland,  My wife and I ate at a few places that were 250+ years old, so it is very possible that you could use it for both.  there are also alot of faux taverns that look like they are old but completely modern, so it is possible that with hte right "look" it ca nbe done.

I did think about the modular process and I might revisit it in the futre.  My issue right now is I have very specific designs for what I want to build and I am not sure if I want to compromise the design to make it modular.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:36:39 PM »
I don't know your plans. But making modular buildings could save some time and money because you don't have to build everything twice.
Much more important, by exchanging the parts of the buildings you can always create something new and exciting.

My Gothic horror and Victorian mystery games will be set in England of course, very classic.
I was even thinking about an exchangable outer wall, but this is probably too much...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:04:29 PM »
I'm planning on a big museum board. The walls will be static on the outside, but I'd like to make the interior walls moveable. This will make it easy to transform the look of the museum to represent different wings.

Rich
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »
WFG,
 valid point.  I know you dont know whats in my head, actually I dont think I know half the time.  I guess alot of this project goes back to when I traveled doing custom model rail road layouts and the scenery for them.  I want great looking set piece items.  I really want each piece to me unique.

Rich,
  touch base with me about my setup.  I might be mass producing things in resin for mine, so there might be things of interest you might like to have.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 03:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
I want great looking set piece items.  I really want each piece to me unique.

Of course!
But did it never happened to you that you build the same part of a building several times or that you painted different figures in the same style because you liked the idea that much?
I have also the problem that I'm a bit double-minded, after some days or weeks I often think "I should have done it the other way" or "the other way round it would look better" and repaint the figure (or buy it a second time ;-). And I don't want this to happen to such a huge project like a gaming board.

Will your "ruined chapel in the woods" board also have an hidden, ruined and overgrown cemetery?

A small mine entrance would also be nice. You could associate the boards with each other.

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »
WFG,
  since you have seen my other thread regarding the town, you can see exactly where my head is at.  Everything is so specific excpet for the twin mansions, Perhaps, I will make those modular. Dont get me wrong, and I do agree that I will probably turn around in a short period of time and say "I should have done it the other way", but I think that applies with whatever method I go with.

I am not sure if the graveyard will be ajoining the chapel or in a different area.  I might make it so the back of the chapel can either go up against another board that is jsut woods for the Dark Young, or against the graveyard.  I mgiht make it so the three boards go completely together.  

For hte mine, I think I am going to have the "outside" which will have the entrance and the few buildings, and then another board (this one will be modular) for the actual mine itself.  I'm going to try to get my hands on the actual mine layout, and decide which way I want to go.