Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690680
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jason and the Isle of the Dead  (Read 6587 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Jason and the Isle of the Dead
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
Jason leaped from the prow of the Argo onto the sandy shore of the Isle of the Dead. Despite being warned of the horrors that lurked on the island, Jason was here to find the fabled Chest of Epsilon, reputed to contain many powerful artefacts that would bestow immense power to those who wielded them.

As he stood on the beach surveying the terrain, he was joined by six more of his men. First was Castor, a giant of a man and a warrior without equal. Next was Argus, fleet of foot and keen with his sword. They were then joined by Iolas, Poeas, Laocoon and Idas all carrying their large bronze shields and heavy spears.

Jason turned to his men, "Today we seek the Chest of Epsilon and the treasure it holds, but we must be wary of the horrors that this island holds. We head for the temple on the hill," he said pointing his sword to a temple in the distance above a deserted village. "It is rumoured the sorcerer Aeetis has taken residence in the temple so we must proceed with caution, any man who does not wish to follow me may stay with the ship and lose no face." Not one of the Argonauts moved.

The seven men began the trek from the shore towards the ancient temple...

Aeetis watched the small band of men move up from the ship that was on the beach. He smiled to himself as his fingered the hydra teeth in the pouch on his belt.

"So the mighty Jason has come for my chest has he..." he spoke out loud despite being alone on the temple steps. "I shall have to make him welcome, come forth my guardians!"

Out of the shadows from the pillars stepped three humanoids, red skinned with horned heads and forked tails, they chattered in a strange language as they scurried past Aeetis down the hill from the temple, waving barbed spears above their heads. From inside the temple came the sound of hooves upon the marble surface. Out into the sunlight stepped a fourth figure. He was a beast in human form with cloven hoofs and a demonic goats head. He bellowed a loud roar and stomped down the steps to stand next to Aeetis.

"You had better have a good reason to call me forth from Hades Aeetis... If not I will eat your entrails while you watch..." the creature said with undisguised malice.

Aeetis smiled and patted the beast upon his shoulder. "Oh but I have Talos... Oh but I have... Look out there... That is Jason, the fabled leader of the Argonauts. I believe your master will reward you well for taking his soul."

The creature looked towards the group of mortals heading towards them.

"He better fight better than the last one Aeetis..." and the creature bounded down the hill after the red demons.

Jason and the Argonauts advanced in two small groups towards the village. Jason and Argus went on the right flank with Laocoon and Idas, while Castor led Iolas and Poeas through the orange trees on the left. The plan was to try and split the defence and attack from two flanks.

With only Aeetis and four other creatures facing them this seemed simple.

Then Aeetis reached into his pouch and while muttering some ancient chant in a forgotten language he threw several of the hydra teeth onto the ground in front of him. As the clouds formed over head and thunder rumbled in the sky, five skeletons rose from the ground and surged forward down the hill.

The Argonauts steeled themselves for action!

With Jason and his party taken a wide move on the right flank Castor and his two men soon found themselves facing a horde of the undead as Aeetis continued to raise his minions. As Castor and his men got out of the village the first wave of skeletons crashed into them. In the ensuing melee, Castor quickly despatched several of them, unable to withstand his powerful blows, while the two men with him also despatched their attackers. Having destroyed one band of skeletons the rest began to withdraw and form a line of defence at the base of the temple hill. Aeetis threw the remaining teeth to the ground and the last of his minions rose from the ground and took up positions in the defence.

Now Jason and his men came in from the right and as Castor led his two men in an attack on the left of the enemies defence, Jason tried to move to support him. But he was cut off in his attempt by the demons on one side and Talos the Beast leading some skeletons on the other. While Laocoon and Idas charged the demons, Jason and Argus threw themselves at Talos and the undead. Fighting erupted across the temple hill.

At first things seemed to go the way of the Greeks. Castor and his men held their own, knocking down the skeletons they were fighting. Laocoon and Idas held off the three demons and Jason and Argus knocked Talos to the ground along with several of the skeletons. But the enemy was so numerous the Argonauts were unable to get in the killing blows as their opponents lay stunned on the ground. As they fought off more enemies, those skeletons and Talos on the ground got up and rejoined the fray.

Suddenly Poeas, fighting next to Castor was cut down by a skeleton, the rusty sword thrust threw his heart. As he fell to the ground dying, Castor shouted to Iolas "Back to Back!" and the two Argonauts formed up with their backs touching, surrounded by the enemy. On the other flank, Laocoon was despatched by one of the demons with a spear threw the stomach and Idas was left alone to face the three denizens of Hades. But Jason and Argus held their own.

Suddenly Aeetis began chanting and seconds later a bolt of lightening shot from the sky, hitting the ground. As the dust and smoked cleared an strange monster stood on the blackened ground. With a barked order from Aeetis, the creature lumbered down the hill towards the battle.

By now Castor had fought his way through several of the enemy with Iolas holding off several skeletons as Castor despatched others. But he was seeming to tire. Idas still held off all three demons, despite being knocked to the ground he parried their blows with his shield and leapt back up. In the centre Jason once again landed a mighty blow upon Talos and he again went down, but the mass of skeletons swarmed and stopped him once again from finishing off the creature. The lumbering monster now reached Castor and the tired Argonaut leapt at the foul creature with a roar.

Then disaster struck.

Argus, while protecting Jason from the skeletons as he fought Talos was knocked to the ground by a skeletons blow, and before he could get up, another impaled him with his spear. With Argus dead, Jason now fought on alone. But to balance matters, Castor with a immense effort took the head off the monster he was battling and its huge body collapsed and rolled down the hill. Idas and Iolas still hung on, fighting but heavily outnumbered. Things looked bleak for the Argonauts.

Seeing a chance, Castor rushed up the hill. Knocking a skeleton out of the way with his shield he crashed into the sorcerer Aeetis, but his blows were deflected by the wizards magic. Undaunted the Argonaut fought on as Jason held off six enemies, but first Idas and then Iolas were both cut down. The only chance now lay with Castor. If he could kill Aeetis then his minions would vanish or crumble to dust. With a last mighty effort he struck the sorcerer, wounding him, but the brave Argonaut then went down, first to a blow from Aeetis and then from several sword blows and spear thrusts from the skeletons guarding Aeetis.

With all his men dead Jason burst out of the throng of undead and beat a hasty retreat back to his ship... Vowing to return and avenge his fallen brethren.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Re: Jason and the Isle of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
Brilliant
Recognised the Games Workshop skeletons a mile off

I ask this every battle report i see
What rules were used?

Steve

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
My money is on Song of Blades and Heros!  :D

In any case, great photos, terrain and models!  :-*

I'm currently trying to build a collection of various fantasy models for this exact same type of game.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:59:28 PM by GregX999 »

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
Brilliant!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Lovely stuff!

;)

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:42:42 AM »

What rules were used?

Steve

One of my many Mordheim variants.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »
I love that film! My first intro to fantasy and the Greek/Roman legands.

Splendid game, it's good to see someone doing this scenario so well. The figures are wonderful and it really looks like it's set in Ancient Greece  :D

One day I'd love to get some Greeks and try it with SBH.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
LOTR would work well to.

Brilliant stuff V!!!!  :-*

This forum needs more mythological/ancient shananagans.

"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Wicked stuff!!! But please, next time with harpies!!!  ;) :-*

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »
Great Looking Stuff!  :D
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline mikeygees

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
Very cool stuff....

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »
A fantastic report with quite brilliant terrain and figures - very well done.

This is a project that I have had on the 'back burner' for some time - you have inspired me to look once again at Sword and Sandal backgrounds.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »
hey,
Very good job.
I had the same idea for a long time but still unrealeased for the moment. o_o
Haven't time to spend on this project !  :'(

have you seen that movie :