Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690654
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Outcasts Sci-fi Dwarf Mercenarys  (Read 8794 times)

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
Outcasts Sci-fi Dwarf Mercenarys
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »
pretty interesting minis.  might have to invent a use for them....
http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10531&highlight=

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Outcasts Sci-fi Dwarf Mercenarys
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
They are great sculpts...but I dunno...Dwarves in space?

warbeads

Re: Outcasts Sci-fi Dwarf Mercenarys
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Why not Dwarves in space?  :o Technologically the most logical (can I us that term in this situation?   ???) compared to Elves or Humans from Fantasy Backgrounds in some minds. o_o

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
So many companys produce space dwarfs, they must do well.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »
"Why not Dwarves in space?"

It's a product of lazy minds. See all the rip-offs of Tolkien, like the entire fantasy genre at this point. :) Why not orks and elves and nazgul and hobbits in space... oh wait, never mind. Just throw in some Cthulu and light sabers and you have people endlessly reinventing their childhoods.

C'mon let's see some originality, how about some dog aliens and cat aliens? Oh and lizard aliens if you're really wild.  ::)

What I'm trying to say is I'm not a fan. :)

Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »
Im pretty sure you can buy cat aliens. reaper do a few, GZG has a range. To be honest most idea's have been translated to mini form, but lets face it, people sculpt what sells. Space Dwarfs are more likely to sell than cat aliens.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »
Oh, I know. I was just being sarcastic.

I disagree though that most ideas have been done. There's tons of ideas that haven't seen the light of day. I think mini makers are creatures of unfortunate habit, just look at the tidal wave of mid-tech power armor humans of roughly the same style that has been unleashed on the market lately.

And Bugs, and Aliens, and Firefly characters, and boxy vehicles...

Honestly, you can tell what movies a minis manufacturer has been watching by what they produce. It's kind of depressing.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:39:19 AM »
Uggh. I know. Though I admit that I buy some of the stuff simply because I think it looks cool.

And speaking of all the other ideas as of yet not done. I think a pile of military officers attending a fancy party are in order. Or native Americans smoking a peace pipe with new world settlers. There's plenty of ideas never done if you sit down and think about it. Hell, I've never seen a range of unarmed spacers/colonists doing normal-life stuff either.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:21:55 AM »
"I think a pile of military officers attending a fancy party are in order."

That would be a good idea for every period/genre. Practically every pulp crashes a fancy dress party. :) I'm actually surprised that Pulp hasn't done it yet now that you mention it.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:48:23 PM »
... I've never seen a range of unarmed spacers/colonists doing normal-life stuff either.

I think Heresy do some - 'spaceship crew' I think they're called. And there are some mechanic-types from Warmachine. But they're few and far between. So much so that I signed up for Wargames Factory to try to persuade them to make some (but then again, I probably don't need 10 sprues...)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:18 AM »
That would be a good idea for every period/genre. Practically every pulp crashes a fancy dress party. :) I'm actually surprised that Pulp hasn't done it yet now that you mention it.

I know. Was thinking of Pulp Scenerios even. Maybe something like the Dirty Dozen or something. And for those that guessed it, yes I did throw the suggestion out in case capable ears were listening.

I think Heresy do some - 'spaceship crew' I think they're called. And there are some mechanic-types from Warmachine. But they're few and far between. So much so that I signed up for Wargames Factory to try to persuade them to make some (but then again, I probably don't need 10 sprues...)

Heresy does but they are not-Firefly and not-Fifth Element characters. Armed too. Warmachine is fantasy.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
The HSF009-012 figs ('The Inspectors') don't seem to be armed, but they are in uniform. OK for starship crew, not so good for average citizens doing their shopping.

The warmachine figs look more grimy sci-fi/dystopia than fantasy to me (especially the Khdor Mechaniks); good for a Mad-Max style setting I'd say. Or 'under-stairs' on a starship, depending on if and how the class system works. Don't dismiss the range just because it's labelled 'fantasy' is all I'm saying.

I'd be quite happy mixing the two sets of figs and calling them all 'sci-fi colonists', which is something you particularly mentioned.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:50 AM »
You do raise good points. Personally though, the inspectors seem too much like hard-cased mega-corporation material than what I was talking about.

Don't dismiss the range just because it's labelled 'fantasy' is all I'm saying.

Indeed. However they're too fantasy-looking for what I was talking about is all I'm saying. I've actually been eying some of the Warmachine stuff for certain purposes in certain places.

All in all though, I believe the miniatures community would benefit more from a dedicated range.

Sorry for the derail, folks. :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
Also, apologies for the derail.

@ Bako; of course, it depends what setting you had in mind for the sci-fi colonists. I was thinking that the two sets of figures represent two ways of dealing with the stress of founding the new colony (perhaps the colonyship has crashed or something else has gone wrong); one faction gets very straightlaced and does it 'by the book', the other lot 'going native'.

"Engineer Trubshaw, Company Regulations clearly state that when on morning parade, caps must be worn..."

"We don' need no stinkin' regulations, 'Captain', you pen-pushers have no idea how to survive out in the wilderness..."

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
This is true.