Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689573
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tea Wars: New Range.  (Read 12466 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Tea Wars: New Range.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
£8 for 3 figures ain't that bad against some companies that charge £8 for a single miniature.
I will be keeping an eye on these.

See, I don't buy that as an argument (pun not intended). The figures I can think of that are around £8 a figure, I'll only ever buy one of, if I even buy it in the first place. For example I bought a hunter figure from Freebooter at Salute for £9, it hurt to pay that much for a single figure but it was to be a merc character fig in a couple of different games and it's a lovely sculpt. I'd never buy another one though.

With the Tea Wars infantry I'd probably need to buy about 30 of them (if I wanted to be able to use every figure then I'd definately need to) which is £80. When I can get more figures from Empress for £40 which are also better sculpts, why would I spend that? Multi-pose isn't worth that much and is often a detraction when working on lots of them, the weapons are interesting but weapon swaps/conversions aren't difficult to do. Neither is worth doubling the price of the figure.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
I totally understand you points and agree with most of them.
I was just trying to point out that I didn't think they were overly expensive which seemed to be a major point people were putting across.
Also I am not as flashly as you with the cash and would probably only want 10    ;)
I will wait to see what they are like when they come out. Maybe if they fit in with other ranges you could use them as special weapon sort of figures?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
I was just trying to point out that I didn't think they were overly expensive which seemed to be a major point people were putting across.
Also I am not as flashly as you with the cash and would probably only want 10    ;)
I will wait to see what they are like when they come out. Maybe if they fit in with other ranges you could use them as special weapon sort of figures?

I would happily buy the units with VSF-feel at that price. Firstly they'd be special unit in our games and wouldn't require more than 10 a unit (gaslight here).

I think it would be a mistake of Blackpyramid to assume that people would go for their regular British infantry at that price. After all the market is LOADED with Praetorians.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

former user

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
multi-part kits is a nice Idea, but what's the point of it if there are hundreds of british colonials available from other companies.
Plastic would be something different.
OK, one can argument that You always get 3 spare heads and also some spare weapons for conversions, but I guess if they start offering these without the soldiers, it would be the better bargain.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »

Sorry if it came across as an attack, it's just an argument I hear fairly often that I honestly don't believe stands up in most cases.

Also I am not as flashly as you with the cash and would probably only want 10  ;)  

The only problem with that comment is we know it's a lie  lol
If you liked the figures that'd be it.

Maybe if they fit in with other ranges you could use them as special weapon sort of figures?

That was my original hope, having seen the figures though they came across as pretty big. Admittedly I didn't have any figures in my pocket to do a comparison with so impressions could be wrong.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
Saw them at Derby, and although the figures looked nice enough...they seemed just a touch too expensive for what are basically Zulu War British with space guns.

Slightly tempered by Glynis having bought about 100 Zulu War British off the bring & buy for a considerably lower price, but the designs just weren't special enough to get any money off me. I would prefer to spend the cash with Ironclad, which reminds me I really must get a unit of Guards.....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
It's a shame these figures are not 15mm. I could do with some Tea Wars figures to expand our Space 1889 games. I rather hope that they call the rules Time4TK.
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
They appear to have the chunkiness that Wargames Factory is lacking. However, I do have a box of Zulu Wars British already :( Still, these look very cool. Depending on what comes out later I wouldn't mind grabbing a few of these... the guns look great!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
These chaps are going to be at WMMS next month which is my local show. I'll get hold of some of the figs and post some comparison pics.
Don't!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »
These chaps are going to be at WMMS next month which is my local show. I'll get hold of some of the figs and post some comparison pics.

Fantastic!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
Looks excellent. If they are metal then definately.
Especially if they are multiposable.

I'd like to see some other things than just infantry, you can get them anywhere now!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »

It's next month already! Dash it, man, where are they???

;)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
Patience my young Jedi. WMMS is on the 21st so I'll update you then.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
Ooh, thanks for letting me know :) Now, was that in the Sir Alec Guiness voice or the Ewan McGregor voice?

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »
Picked up a pack on e-bay and due to a mis-listing stating 4 figures instead of 3 the seller honoured this by sending out two packs (six figures in all) with my choice of weapons (choose the "Aether" type) and got an e-mail asking for my choice of base's (got the 20p sized round resin") the figures are of the large size in fact will size up with GW quite well at a glance -the heads are aso seperate and I got 12 heads for 6 figures.
avialable on e-bay under seller blackpyramidgaming0771
gan canny kidder!