Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tea Wars: New Range.  (Read 12474 times)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
Re: Tea Wars: New Range.
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
The figure above does look nicer in the bare metal than the painted versions in their ebay listing.
Might pick up a pack to see for myself.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
They come with resin bases I believe.
Which I guess adds to the price, but I'd chuck them aside and base them as normal...  :(

As Rob said, they come with 20mm resin bases, either square or round.
Don't!

Offline Xray616

• Lurker
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
Gentlemen

Firstly, may I say "thank you" for opening this topic of conversation relating to The Tea Wars range of figures.  I apologise that it has taken some not-inconsiderable time to discover this.......I believe you term it a "thread".......but I hope that my lateness will not count against my standing in this community to too great a degree.

Secondly, I should like to introduce myself, if that is not tiresome of me; I am Antony Lane, the founder and partner, with three other gentlemanly types, in Black Pyramid Gaming LLP.

We established ourselves during 2009 as stockists of several companies in the fantasy gaming ethos but soon realised that the production of our own 28/25mm figures would provide us both with an outlet for our personal ideas and hopefully provide the gaming fraternity with some more figures they may like.  I thank you all for your praise and your grumbles.....we are taking everything on board and I would urge you all to continue with said endeavours, either here or directly via our contact email service at: hello@blackpyramid.co.uk

Our Tea Wars packs were originally priced at £10.00 apiece; this was quickly dropped to £8.00 on all three packs and has been our standard price since late 2009.  It seems that some people are willing to pay this and others are not; at the moment we feel justified with this amount, since it includes good quality sculpting, a possible 144 different variations, and your choice of resin bases (from three sizes available).  This price may be somewhat more expensive than other manufacturers and we will monitor feedback on this subject in the hopes of getting a more general feeling from you, the buying public (or not-buying public, as the case may be).  Please remember that there are more factors involved in calculating prices than simply what the next guy is selling his for.

We have used the multi-part method purely as it gives so much scope for variety - many customers have commented on the wonderful heads/faces that Aaron has managed to produce and we can only agree - but then, we are slightly biased!

We do have plans to continue the range and we will post WIPs' and more info on our website when we can, but safe to say that we are looking into Trench Armour, Flamethrowers and Steam Lancers!  Oh my!

I'm afraid that 15mm is not on our radar - terribly sorry, old bean.  However, we are working on a game mechanic (oo-er!) and hope to see it bear fruit in a few months time.

Well, that should suffice for now, so I shall say "toodle-pip" and "until next time!"

www.blackpyramid.co.uk

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Hi Antony, welcome to the forum! We all share the "madness" in this particular section, the others tut and shake their heads at us, while secretly peeking through the curtains to look at our toys. (yes Captain Blood, I can see you).

We do have plans to continue the range and we will post WIPs' and more info on our website when we can, but safe to say that we are looking into Trench Armour, Flamethrowers and Steam Lancers!  Oh my!

As one of the naysayers about the price point I should point out that I'm also a proponent of 'paying for what you get'. I am happy to pay a little more for figures that are well sculpted and fill a role. My issue with the current figures is that they are 'basic' infantry which are easily available from others for less and on a par with sculpting. That said, the above figures are not available from anyone else and as more of a niche figure type I'd be less critical of the price and more likely to buy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:48:19 PM by Dewbakuk »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
Hi Antony, I am also one of the naysayers.
I agree with Dewbakuk's sentiments. 144 poses, that's great, Praetorian Guardsmen, but multiposable. However, the sculpting quality may be good, but it is not to the standard of Copplestone or Paul Hicks. I mean no offense because I sculpt minis myself and mine aren't at the Tea Wars standard by far! My only problem is that these are the most expensive on the market and most people who use multiparts want LOTS of them, to get their full use and at £8 a pop, I don't feel like I could do this!

Another problem, yeah, they are the bog standard infantry! When something more specilist comes out, you can fully colour me interested! But even then, I will look at the prices and see how easily I could convert the models.

I must say though, the Aether weapons look lovely and I was planning on buying them at WMMS but totally forgot! I will put an order in soon rather than later!  :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Went quiet all of a sudden... Just as I was getting interested (well I still am, but hey!).  :'(

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
Story seems very similar to the Space Captain Smith novels - although that whilst having a semi-victorian British Empire feel to it, is not I would say pure VSF. Worth a read though  :D

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Yeah, I've been meaning to get them.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
The Space Captain Smith Novels are superb. Very light hearted, easy reading and full of toilet humour. There are two Christmas stories on the website too, however they are set between the books so not a great introduction.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
Ahh, easy reading, good for simple minds like mine!

Might pick them up off Amazon, along with a plethora of other books suggested on Wessex Games' website.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
The Space Captain Smith Novels are superb. Very light hearted, easy reading and full of toilet humour. There are two Christmas stories on the website too, however they are set between the books so not a great introduction.

Toilet humour, eh?

Sounds like they are a must-read  lol

Never heard of them before, but definitely something to put on my book list.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
Oh they are good. Never win any literary prizes, but if you want a spoof of Biggles in space with sex and jokes (and what's not love about that set up?) then they're for you.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »
Toilet humour, eh?

Sounds like they are a must-read  lol

Never heard of them before, but definitely something to put on my book list.

Very quick to read and very enjoyable. Plenty of parodies from other films and books thrown in for 'plot' :)

As a quick introduction, the crew of the British Space Empire ship 'John Pym' consist of:
Isambard Smith - Jolly good sort, accomplished swordsman and devout believer in everything to do with the Empire.
Suruk the Slayer - Alien Savage who's people have become part of the Empire. Essentially a Predator. Bloodbrother to Isambard.
Polly Carveth - Ships pilot due to being the only one with any knowledge of the controls. Also ships engineer as she owns the correct Haynes Manual. She is an escaped 'pleasurebot' and some of her programming re-aserts itself no matter what she does. She is reponsible for the vast majority of double entendres throughout the three books, often at the worst possible moment.
Rhianna Mitchell - Hippy with dangerously subversive ideas about 'harmony' with other species. Also in charge of the ships herb garden. Cooks surprisingly moorish food considering it's mostly synthetic, apparently it's all in the seasoning.

The number one enemy is a commander of the ghast species. The ghast are essentially nazi red ants and many jokes are made due to the size of their enourmous rears.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
Very quick to read and very enjoyable. Plenty of parodies from other films and books thrown in for 'plot' :)

As a quick introduction, the crew of the British Space Empire ship 'John Pym' consist of:
Isambard Smith - Jolly good sort, accomplished swordsman and devout believer in everything to do with the Empire.
Suruk the Slayer - Alien Savage who's people have become part of the Empire. Essentially a Predator. Bloodbrother to Isambard.
Polly Carveth - Ships pilot due to being the only one with any knowledge of the controls. Also ships engineer as she owns the correct Haynes Manual. She is an escaped 'pleasurebot' and some of her programming re-aserts itself no matter what she does. She is reponsible for the vast majority of double entendres throughout the three books, often at the worst possible moment.
Rhianna Mitchell - Hippy with dangerously subversive ideas about 'harmony' with other species. Also in charge of the ships herb garden. Cooks surprisingly moorish food considering it's mostly synthetic, apparently it's all in the seasoning.

The number one enemy is a commander of the ghast species. The ghast are essentially nazi red ants and many jokes are made due to the size of their enourmous rears.

lol  Right up my street! I've just ordered one from play.com  :D

Thanks for the info!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
The order of the books, just in case it's not apparent;

Space Captain Smith
God-Emperor of Didcot
Wrath of the Lemming Men