Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690326
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monsters/Creatures, Which are your favourites?  (Read 9392 times)

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
Monsters/Creatures, Which are your favourites?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 06:05:17 PM »
I guess I have to follow up with the
ZOMBIES!

haha!  I think they make for very interesting background.

Vamps v werewolves, I'm into vampires more most of the time.  But I like both.  I loved Underworld.  Everyone is so cool, both the wolfs and vamps.  Blade is a bit silly but still fun watching (but last act is disappointing in both 2 and 3).  

I also developed a great interest in Cthulhu mythos things relatively recently.  

Something else that I love is the darker side of fae like Pan's Labyrinth, and some of the older nastier fairy tales.  Beautiful dark stuff

Actually, thats a problem I have, in that I like too many things....  sometimes I like one more than the other, than it changes again as different things peaks my interest

edit: oh, and cannibal hillbillies are fantastic!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:34 PM »
I love Cthulhu - I used to play and GM CoC. I especially like the minor monsters/demons like Deep Ones (for figures try using the Westwind piranha men).  Also well thought-out vampire stories, human cultists and mad scientists attempting to pervert nature.

Favorite horror stories are Dracula, HP Lovecraft's 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward' (which combines the Cthulhu background with vampirism and sorcery) and HG Wells' Island of Doctor Moreau.

Favorite horror film is The Wicker Man - the original with Edward Woodwood and Christoper Lee, not the recent rip-off. No blood, monsters or violence -just a steady build-up in tension with lots of references to celtic myths and rituals, ending with the Wicker Man scene. Excellent. And then there is the Rocky Horror Show ....
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 02:54:08 AM »
I just read Charles Dexter Ward about two weeks ago.  I liked it alot!

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:46:58 AM »
i would have to agree with the most i see here - Cthulhu and Werewolves.  Vampires are ... pretentious.

but the most scary monster to put in a game or a story line: Conservatives/Republican and Liberal/Democrats - any person who WANTS to be a politician - that's scary!!!   :lol:

but i have to agree with whomever said it above: Horror isn't horror anymore.  it's a soft, willowy soundtrack that bores you to sleep and then a big crash and bam to scare your bladder empty.  a flah and a jolt out of silence is not scary - it's surprise and a fake out
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 04:33:49 AM »
you should try japanese horror. some of them creates very scary atmoshpere

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Japanese horror is quite good these days. A bit too many kids painted white, but some real tension and scares.

I love Cthulhu, and I'm also into any kind of trip to Hell. I'd still like to see some film-maker try "classic" images of demons, ala the Sabbat Goat kinda thing. Some minis would be nice too.

And yes, I'm also a devoted Clive Barker fan. Hellraiser was brilliant in images and new ideas. The sequels rode the ideas like a pony at a kid's birthday party until they were just corny, but ol' Clive really hit something there. All the B&D demons afterward owe him a debt.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 10:50:51 AM »
I have to say I´m in for re-animated golems, evil constructs and the like - just all things Frankenstein. And the most scary being of all, Frankenstein´s Aunt.

:D :)