Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Terrain  (Read 220441 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: New Buildings -- WIP
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 04:09:46 AM »
Sorry I haven’t posted in a little while. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it. We are now using the rabbet joints on the buildings. We made 10 buildings now! I still have to work on five…

The arches (this is for you warrenss2) were made by taking an exacto blade around a metal washer that was about an inch and a quarter wide. And yes dad did use a ruler on the sides of the doorway.

The texture (Wirelizard and Mr. Peabody) was made by dabbling on a layer of elmer’s wood filler with a paint brush.

More to come.

-Wolf Girl

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »
Thanks so much for revealing your technique!
I'm learning a lot following this thread. :)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

former user

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »
very interesting

hm... now I have to think where to get washers that big....
I am using a similar kind of blade

thx for the tutoring  :)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
Thanks, Wolf Girl! It always the simple, yet genius, methods that escape me for some reason.

Those buildings look like something out of a Gunda Din movie. Kind of middle east or Spanish type abode. Looks like they'll be able to serve multi-purposes. Always a good thing in miniature gaming.

@ former user - now I have to think where to get washers that big..... I know where your secret island base is, The Shadow told me... and he KNOWS. I also know there is a Lowes on the Mysterious Island.  :D ;) :D
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

former user

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »
not that I would know of  ;)

there are only hardware markets around that sell the more common sizes in bulk packs.
The only source I could think of is a specialized shop called "Schallenberg" when You can buy hardware by pieces.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
You may try to address the guys involved with 1:1 scale trains. Hardware of that size is appearing there quite regularely. I'd be happy to provide, but I quit that hobby branch a year ago...
per aspera ad astra

former user

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
thx no contacts either, I'll see

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
Those buildings look like something out of a Gunda Din movie. Kind of middle east or Spanish type abode. Looks like they'll be able to serve multi-purposes. Always a good thing in miniature gaming.

The buildings in Gunga Din (1939) are great! A few decades ago I ruined a copy by pausing it over and over, just so I could sketch them. :-*  I think the film was shot entirely in Arizona and California, so I wouldn’t claim they accurately represent India. But it’s close enough for PULP!   lol

Along that same lines, this new series of buildings are all loosely based on photos we’ve collected from several different continents. So I am trying to keep the designs generic enough that they will pass for many different settings, as we span the globe seeking fortune and glory.  :D

THANKS!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
This is really inspiring. Thanks so much for the pics and the advice.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 04:31:58 AM »
Here you go, Bako.

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/pegasus-hobbies-large-cactus-inches-tall-6507-p-2988.html

Imex also makes some for their Alamo series. Mixing the two gives a good variety of sized cactus.

Oh, thanks quite much so!

hm... now I have to think where to get washers that big....

If you can't find any I have more than I'll ever want. Wouldn't mind dropping a few in the post for you. One of the advantages of a small machine shop on the family farm, more doodads, tridlins, and PVC piping than you need bobbing about. :)
Everything is better with lizardmen.

former user

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:40 AM »
Thank You very much :)

maybe You also have an anvil You don't need anymore and could drop it in an envelope and send it to Europe   ;) ;) ;) 8) ?
appreciate the offer, but I'm sure I'll find some solution here

I'll be happy to drop by and visit the machine shop when I visit Vancouver some time in the future

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
I'll be happy to drop by and visit the machine shop when I visit Vancouver some time in the future

Heh. Bako's a long drive from Vancouver... Vancouver-Creston is probably eight-ten hours+ by car, and he's only about 2/3rds of the way across this province. (going east-west; it's even bigger running north-south!) It's a very, very big country.

Thanks for the texturing info, wolfgirl & dphipps, and the archway construction tips. Even following a washer or other guide, my curve cuts never turn out as neat as the ones on your buildings!

former user

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:57 AM »
thx, I noticed, but I think travelling customs adapt to the distances, or not?  ;)
Or do canadians have to rediscover the north-west passage every time they want to get urban? ;)
what am I to do, I'm a petty old worlder who is used to getting everywhere by walking  ;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
thx no contacts either, I'll see

I've got quite a few, pm me with your address and I'll post one out in an envelope

Nice buildings, great for DAK, pulp, Call of Cthulhu, wargods  or even star wars!  :D

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

former user

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
thx again - I'll remember this if in need

I've been using small washers as bases, but never was aware that such big ones are available
also useful for magnet sheets  ;)