Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690579
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp  (Read 3616 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Pulp
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:07:47 PM »
Basically guys can anyone explain the genre?
It may sound stupid to you but it a genre that personally fascinates me and ide love to learn a bit more about it since i fancy playing it.

The reason for the love of pulp is Indianna Jones

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »
Now officially pulp is a kind of cheap paper used to print relatvely cheap books on. As these books were mainly published in the 40's and 50's (maybe even earlier?) they tended towards being good old detective stories, very often spy stories (hence the German archvillains you'll stumble acrossso often). However, stories like Bulldog Drummond also included some kind of "super-science" (not neccessarily ray guns etc - think about airships as hideouts for the villains etc).

Being very popular it is little wonder that at some point you'll find a movement away from being dead serious towards a more ironic approach, which, by the way happens to all literature at some point (like Western - Spaghetti Western, Horror movies - Zombieland etc.). Think e.g. superheroes. Let's face it, you cannot take anybody seriously running around in bathing costumes and capes and - uh -"yellow spandex".

Indiana Jones is of course a homage to the old spy stories mixed with the adventures of some kind of lost world setting etc.

The slightly childish grin that appears on my face when I think about pulp ist actually the result of the what Mr. Spielberg did with Indiana Jones rather than the original pulp stories.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
I think of Pulp as 'Historical Fantasy', most often set in the period between the 2 world wars (but it can expand both to earlier and later times).

What do I mean by this: Basically that you take a historical setting and add some extraordinary flavour - as little or as much as you like, ranging from the hard-boiled detective that always survives even the gravest of circumstances to ray guns and giant robots.

I like my Pulp on the more adventurous end of the scale (exotic locations, lost worlds (dinos and other fantastic flora and fauna), ancient magical artefacts that actually work, horror elements (like mummies or other undead creatures, c'thulhu-esque monsters), whereas others may prefer more 'realistic' stories where some heroes/investigators are searching for the beautiful girl's kidnapped/disappeared father, who might be a scientist of some sorts....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
Pulp is also upbeat. The good guys are good and the bad guys are bad period. Also the forces of law and order are good. They don't get corrupt until noir. Some pulp writers at the close of the period started writing things with a dark or perverse cast. They used anti-heros and corrupt police that got filmed in the film noir (early 50's) period. Pulp stories were usually written according to formula and the characters followed racial/ethnic stereotypes. You can find Lester Dent's formula quite easily by searching Doc Savage. Above all, pulp was about action. Most of it was set in the 30's and 40's but pulp westerns and science fiction were also common. The sword and sorcery genre has its roots in pulp fiction, specifically Robert E. Howard. Simple characters, plot twists andaction action and more action can describe pulp but the best way to find out about pulp is to read it. I think you might like stories by Talbot Mundy a very good author, largely ignored in the gaming community, who uses locales and characters similar to the Indiana Jones films. Also look at Lester Dent aka Kenneth Robeson, the author of the Doc Savage tales.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
Thanks guys!! Explained well and i think ive got a good understanding so far.

The reason i ask is because im looking into playing Savage worlds RPG.

So can you play Superheroes in Pulp?

Steve

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »
You can do whatever you want! :) Define 'super hero'.
I'd add that for gamming I found that I could do skirmish games without the need for ever more military troops. I find I'm more at ease with civilian or silly villain figures than yet more figures from real wars.
 I've ended up becomming pre-occupied with vehicles, fasion and even street furniture from the period!

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
For pulp, see movies like any of the Indiana Jones films, The Mummy franchise, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and I even place Tomb Raider and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the "pulp" genre
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »
Other than Doc Savage, your archetypal Pulp heroes include The Shadow, The Spider, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Tarzan and many more.  Of course, the epitome of Pulp villains has to be Fu Manchu.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
I also think the "Trench coat" comic heroes would fall in to this too. Sandman, The Question, The Phantom Stranger.

Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
If you're into comic books at all I recommend picking up back issues of Ed Brubaker's "Incognito".  It's kind of a modern pulp story.  Very good.  However, the reason I say to pick up the back issues and not the trade is what is included at the end of every issue.

After each issue they give a very good history of a famous pulp character.  They covered Doc Savage, Fu Manchu, Operator 5, The Shadow, The Spider, and Zepplins.  Maybe a couple others.  These back-ups are not in the trade.  Very good read.  I believe the guy who wrote them was putting out a book on the pulps but the name of it escapes me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:07:36 PM by wellender »

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
Cheers guys
Steve

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
I think the guys have allready said most of the things I was planning to say but i would suggest having a look at the original pulps. the link below has lots of info on the main characters ,magazines and some of the authorsas well as selling reprints and pdfshttp://www.vintagelibrary.com/pulpfiction/PulpFictionCentral.php also
I'm glad to see someone mentioned Talbot Mundy although i find his writing stye a little difficult to read his Jimgrim stories have a lot of gaming potential

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
While pulp is usually pretty well based in the 30s-50s when it isn't being full on scifi I do love the more modern things which have pulp as major influences at the very least if you didn't want to call them pulp exactly.

Comics like the Danger Girl series, Marvel Noir, some of the darker DC "elseworlds" stories strike me as good examples of modern series that are at the very least heavily influenced by pulp.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?