Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Buildings and other Scenics/Terrain for London/Europe?  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Buildings and other Scenics/Terrain for London/Europe?
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Just curious about this, as I haven't made a Victorian foray in quite some time.

Are there any sources for Victorian era  London or (failing that) continental European terrain (buildings would be most welcome, I know that Ironclad makes cobblestone streets), or pieces in existence that might work in a pinch? I believe that the brick buildings from the Old Glory "Gangland" range might work, and perhaps an American Revolutionary era house or two, but beyond that, I'm lost.

Any suggestions? Scratchbuilding is out of the question, at the moment.

-Doc

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: Buildings and other Scenics/Terrain for London/Europe?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
Some of the building frontages from OWS would be suitable: http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/buildings.html

In particular;
BF2: Terrace 1

BF3: Terrace 2

BF8: Bank/Large building

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
This is a problem facing many gamers, you'd think there was a company out there wanting to make decent generic 19th-20th Century buildings but there aren't.  Any manufacturers listening?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
Doc, unfortunately it seems that scratchbuilding is the best option for 25/28mm Victorian London. Some of the chaps on this board have produced some great examples.

I'm gradually putting some Victorian industrial buildings together with a lot of help from Svennn (pics are imminent) and advice from many others. Most of the buildings will be scratchbuilt (I know you dont want to hear that) but some are HO/OO scale engine sheds which pass off as simple factory buildings.

Some scratchbuilding projects aren't too difficult as most of the work is done for you as per Overlord's post. In addition Skrapwelder comes up with some gems every now and again so it might be worth contacting him. TVAG's B'hoys town is another option but it depends what flicks your switch as they're cardstock.

In the early Victorian period a fair portion of the older towns and cities in Britain still retained buildings dating back through the centuries to the medieval period, especially in the slum areas, but these were gradually replaced by more contemporary buildings in the name of progress and sanitary reform as the nineteenth century wore on.  The point being there's no reason why you cant mix older buildings with more 'modern' Victorian buildings. I suppose it depends what setting you're looking for.

It might be worth looking on the Gothic Horror board too as some of the buildings there may be suitable.

Street furniture you wont have a problem with thanks to the likes of Langley Models, Eureka and Westwind.

Now if you wanted to game  VSF in 20mm the world is your oyster as the railway modelling world supplies a plethora of Victorian buiuldings. Probably much to the horror of some it's something I'm looking into.

Anyway I'm rambling so I'm off the the pub for a post Christmas heart-starter.    

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:32:23 AM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

former user

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
well, if You are too lazy to build Your own and don't mind the somehow reduced size, there are plenty of german manufacturers for railway period 1 buildings - Kibri, Faller, Vollmer  to name but a few - but in HO, however sometimes bigger

also Walthers in USA, with wonderful buildings, but more US-style

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
You could try O gauge(1/48) RR suppliers like this one
http://valleymodeltrains.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_245&osCsid=d041a482ab53293143352bff2d55f6cf
I think granato's store 1/2way down the page could pass for the Uk .this is a big store you might find something else of use if you browse around

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »
I've got some resin castings for the period available to order.

With the exception of the Tudor buildings I can cast all of these to order.

The most recent peices I have are here on the beginnings of a sale page.
http://www.rotanddrivel.com/whitechapel-project.htm

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »
What about the plain houses and shops?  Do you have prices for these?

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
I'm working on updating the website today. The plain shops and townhouses are in the process of being remastered but will be around $35 each.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »
Skrapwelder - love the Dorritt house, as a seasonal special have you looked at the possibility of doing the offices of Scrooge & Marley next ? Or perhaps the poulterer with a prize winning bird hanging in the window ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »
I've got some resin castings for the period available to order.

With the exception of the Tudor buildings I can cast all of these to order.

The most recent peices I have are here on the beginnings of a sale page.
http://www.rotanddrivel.com/whitechapel-project.htm

Skrapwelder -

Any chance you could furnish a list of prices? These are beautiful!:)

TC -

Not upset at all, I'm very grateful for the honesty. Seems like you're right, with the exception of what's available from Skrap. Better to know than to go on searching. I had hoped to perhaps draft in some of the "christmas village" houses you see here on sale during the appropriate season, but they are becoming harder to find, and not all of them are appropriate.

former user -

You know full well with me that it isn't laziness;)

-Doc

former user

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »
"You know full well with me that it isn't laziness;)"
Doc, who talks about You? ;)
I was referring to my own lazyness

I'm a minimalist - things might look fantastic if You make them Yourself (like Silent Invader for instance), but then I have other things to do than building a whole city from scrap - and besides, why bother if You can buy things that look acceptable enough and are affordable?
I build only things that don't exist, because there is no other way to get them

the day I can afford a brush artist who can read my mind (or a 3D miniature printer) I'll burn my brushes  ;)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »
My apologies. Thought you were teasing me about not building terrain:)

Seriously, though, I get mightily annoyed when elsewhere I ask about terrain sources only to be told, "really, you should build your own, so much more rewarding, one only needs a small machine shop..."

I truly admire (and sinfully covet) the amazing terrain building skills evidenced by my mates here, but honestly, I wasn't gifted with that skill. At any rate, not enough time with so much else going on atm!

-Doc

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
Seriously, though, I get mightily annoyed when elsewhere I ask about terrain sources only to be told, "really, you should build your own, so much more rewarding, one only needs a small machine shop..."

lol lol lol So true....  ;)

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Skrapwelder they are stunning.  I too would love to see a full pricelist when you have one available mate.