Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Question for Helen about Tanks  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
A Question for Helen about Tanks
« on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:57 PM »
(I'm asking Helen because she's our resident Middle East Great War expert)

Do you happen to know what kinds of tank the Brits used in Palestine? I must admit to being a bit clueless when it comes to Great War tanks. The British ones all look the same to me. I know there were tanks at Second Gaza, I even have a picture of one. It has a field gun on one side rather than an MG if that is any help.

All these pics of Pardulon tanks recently on this good forum are making me jealous. I want a tank. I'm thinking of either getting a Brigade one or that new one that Great War Miniatures just brought out. Tanks are out for Africa (even in my fictionalized, historically-muddled campaign) but I was thinking of branching out into Palestine anyway. I even have some Turks already.

Just wondered if you could set me straight as to which one(s) would be historically correct. I may well cop out and buy the one that looks coolest anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks in advance to Helen, or anyone else who might be able to help.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
Hi

Thanks for requesting information about the Mk Tank in the Gaza Battles. Indeed there were. I'm house sitting at the moment, so I don't have my books here, but I know that their were a number of MKIVs to replace the  tanks lost in the Second Gaza Battle. There were early Marks and  both Male and Female MK IVs for the latter Gaza Battle. Osprey have just released their MKIV book which will assist you there.

My collection will have one Brigade Games MKIV Male and one Female for the Third Gaza Battle. Unfortunately the British ill used them in their role, they used them as pack mules carrying all the heavy stores to the front.

Brigade Games produce a quality MK IV Tank so you can either go for the Male or Female version.

Hope that assists you.

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »
Thanks Helen. That's just perfect. I may well have a look at the Osprey you mention.

Ta.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:15:55 AM »
Note that the Osprey "British Mark I Tank 1916", New Vanguard #100, has a short (2-page) section on "Tanks at Gaza", along with a number of interesting photographs and a colour profile.

It says that "eight tanks were dispatched from Bovington" in January 1917, presumably of Marks I-III. The colour profile is of a Mk I Male, "Sir Archibald", with steel trestles during sponson removal.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »
Thanks Chris. Sounds likes most of the various types of British tank saw action in Palestine then. I'm not planning on getting more than one, so I'll probably go with whichever I think looks coolest and it can represent whatever I need it to be. My gaming is usually down towards the skirmish end of the scale, so a whole squadron of tanks would be an outrageous extravagance.

Cheers you guys.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Note that the Osprey "British Mark I Tank 1916", New Vanguard #100, has a short (2-page) section on "Tanks at Gaza", along with a number of interesting photographs and a colour profile.

It says that "eight tanks were dispatched from Bovington" in January 1917, presumably of Marks I-III. The colour profile is of a Mk I Male, "Sir Archibald", with steel trestles during sponson removal.

Thats right Chris. Subsequent replacements were MKIVs after second Gaza where they lost three tanks of the earlier MK series. After Third Gaza they were withdrawn back to the Western Front.

God Bless

Helen