Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atlantis campaign begins...  (Read 80179 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Atlantis campaign begins...
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »
It is January 3rd, 1890; Western Europe, North Africa, the Caribbean and North America are still reeling from the devastating tidal waves that struck Atlantic coasts on the morning of January 1st.

Reports are coming in, relayed by balloon expeditions from several countries, that the cause of the tidal-wave has been the sudden appearance in the North Atlantic of a large landmass. There is speculation that this is in reality the 'lost' continent of Atlantis. Various nations - among them Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands, Denmark, the Ottoman Empire, Greece, Egypt, the USA and Brazil - have all staked a claim to Atlantean territory and are fitting out expeditions to explore it. It is likely that in a few days, the first of these expeditions will begin to arrive.

Whether your faction is engaged in conquest, looting, scientific exploration, or all three, adventure and excitement await in the 'lost' continent - now so spectacularly found once again!

Please register your interest in the Atlantis campaign by leaving a message below - listing:
1 - Username, and name and numbers of the gaming group you represent, if applicable;
2 - factions you represent;
3 - type of games you will be playing (fleet-level actions, RPG/party-type games, aeronef combat etc).

Good luck one and all!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:17:30 PM by Red Orc »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Atlantis campaign begins...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
I'm down for this...

1 - Jimbibbly, some other coves who will probably go for it at some point

2 - Japan (and later Italy)

3 - Gaslight style games ie; several units and bits of steamy goodness

How long is it going to run for?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
1 - Me, and roughly 2-3 others (depends on how long it runs)

2 - Great Britain, France, generic 'natives' and Germany (ish. Not much for them)

3 - Squad, Company and Battalion level, depending on what I feel like playing at the time...

Do we have a particular campaign rules? I assume these will be posted in a separate thread?   
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
I's going to run until I get sick/go mad/everyone leaves/other. I don't know to be honest.

There will be campaign rules; but these will be fairly loose to start with. The main point is that you can start organising games with your local group. Campaign 'points' are accrued by playing games. That's the most important thing.

Conceptually at least, Answer and Jim, your groups are starting at opposite sides of Atlantis. Answer, your group will be battling each other for control of the eastern coastlands, Jim, yours are landing on the western coasts*. Further info will follow (a map, some choices about how to run your part of the campaign).

*unless you've confused me and in fact you're in the same group.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
*unless you've confused me and in fact you're in the same group.

We're not, unless there's some great conspiracy going on here...
I'll stress this now; my 'group' will not get that many games in. perhaps 4 or 5 at most (we might surprise you, but I doubt it). There are only 4 of us, after all. And one lives in Canterbury...
Oh, I forgot to mention, we’ve some anarchists somewhere, too...

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
I'm up for this too.

Please register your interest in the Atlantis campaign by leaving a message below - listing:

1 - Bullshott + probably some of the usual British BLAM suspects (I see jimbibbly has laready posted here)
2 - United States (Miskatonic University expedition + US marines support). Can also supply British, French, Prussian & Japanese as required)
3 - Gaslight style games ie; several units and bits of steamy goodness (as per jimbibbly)

Can we have some background on Atlantis so that we are all playing with similar terrain, etc. - i.e. flora, fauna, archiectural style of lost citis, etc. (I'll leave anyone/anything else that populates Atlantis down to individual gaming groups  ;)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
The way it will work is that each group will be fighting over a different region of Atlantis, and will use its own terain as appropriate.

The group in the south-east might be mostly fighting in jungles with a bit of desert (this is the bit that's opposite west Africa, and also one of the most the most densely settled), and they'd be using jungley and deserty terrain (though there are also some mountains); in the north there are more forests, large grassland/prairie/steppe plains, and some large rivers with wide floodplains - so more forests, open terrain/rolling green hills, and plenty of marshland. In every region there are settlements, villages, towns, cities, temples... often at naturally defensible points or bridges, so these might be a focus for battles or adventures.

Architecture varies widely across the continent (as with most continents) - the semi-nomadic barbarians of the north-western fjordlands live in a style very different from the settled farmers of the south-east with their palace-cities. To say nothing of the Morlocks, the Deep Ones or the Martians and Venusians who made Atlantis their home before the Great Catastrophe 12,000 years ago/last week (depending on your point of view).

If it all comes together properly, each group can pick those environments that they like/have most terrain for. This should mean that there is the minimum of fuss and necessity to build new terrain (though if you want to, hell yeah, I'd love to see it). Atlantis is a big place and should be able to accommodate everything from deserts to snowscapes via forests and swamps quite easily, from settlements formed of simple wooden huts or collections of skin tents, to great marble cities, sinister tower-complexes on crags, cave-dwellings, vast temples, whatever you like (or have the terrain for).

Bullshot, if you'll be playing with jimbibbly (if you'll excuse the expression), then you too will be in the west of Atlantis (nice to see the Miskatonic University sending some scholars along, they might have some strange fortellings of events 40 years in the future...). I'll be sending preliminary findings about the precise coastal configurations, local fauna, climate etc for each region as soon as I collate the aeronef reports.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
I'm in but you'll have to bear with me on the 1, 2 and 3 bit as I'm still gathering my thoughts. I'll probably be running fun skirmish levels games based on 'To Be Continued By GASLIGHT'.
Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
Wel, with myself, jimbibbly and Thunderchicken interested in involved, I guess its only a matter of time before more of the BLAM GASLIGHT regulars join in. Malamute? Dean?

I will also work on a couple of guys in my neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:53:21 PM by Bullshott »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »
Dean?

I'm perfectly happy to play some games, although local opponents are a little short right now. Closest VSF BLAMer would be TC (that I know of), so we could arrange a game or two I suspect.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »
Its times like this that I wish I didn't live in the arse end of nowhere with no other gamers in the vicinity.  >:(

Sounds like a good campaign, hope you all have fun with it.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
I'm perfectly happy to play some games, although local opponents are a little short right now. Closest VSF BLAMer would be TC (that I know of), so we could arrange a game or two I suspect.

Agreed, although I do have JimBibbly around the corner. :)

Not sure how much I can commit to the campaign right now, its all hands to the pump with work during the first quarter of the year, so time is precious. :(
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »
Im still up for it

1) Mors and Mors junior if I can drag him off his xbox thingy.

2) Japan , German Colonial, Greek ( with a bit of work) , Belgium ( technically King Leopolds private force ) , Mad/ Evil Scientist. I also have some sea devils which could pass off as Atlantis inhabitants if allowed.

3) Small Gaslight company actions.

Mors

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »
Ooh how exciting!

Is anyone from Sydney getting involved?

I don't have anything prepared really but I'll give it a shot. If all else fails I'll play with my self (always does the trick ;))

1. Christian
2. British
3. Small skirmish games vis a vis Legends/Great War  & even better .45 Adventures/Chain Reaction in 28mm

This should be... interesting. I've got my jungle terrain sorted though. I don't have any opponents yet. What the heck is there to fight on Atlantis aside from other human forces?

Some sort of amphibian creatures I imagine?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:55:26 AM by Christian »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
Right: everyone will over the next day or so be getting PMs with further (secret) info (as your ships actually hove into view of the Atlantean costs), but for the moment, here's some specific housekeeping.

Thunderchicken, Dewbakuk, if you're in with the other Gaslight Blammers, then, you too will soon be arriving on the west coast. It's taking a few days to get all the naval forces in the area... you will be given maps and asked to choose suitable landing points soon.

Jollybob, are there no VSFers in 'almost Scotland' that you can cajole into playing a few games? Given the numbers of Geordies, Cumbrians and Scots on the forums, can you not find someone within 25 miles or so?

Malamute, you don't have to commit to playing a certain number of games, though obviously the point is to play some; many a colonial army turned up on some foreign shore, sat on a beach, went "ho hum" then went home again without doing much. If you might have time to play some games, I'd say, go for it, even if your particular force doesn't manage to accomplish much.

Mors, Mors Junior, excellent news - yes Sea Devils are allowed, the seas, lakes and rivers of Atlantis are home to amphibious reptilian types (Lizard Men, Deep Ones or any such similar creature depending on the game you're using). You will be landing on the northern coastal area, I think.

Christian, you'll be landing your forces in the south of the continent; I really hope you do get some other Sydney players involved, or you could be involved in the least problematic colonial adventure ever, due to there only being token opposition. As for the inhabitants of Atlantis, there are, aside from the human Atlanteans, also 3 indigenous non-human races, and Martians and Venusians who were on the Lost Continent before it was lost, as well as the representatives of potentially 8 or more earth-nations and some groups of adventurers who are maybe just out for their own ends...