Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atlantis campaign begins...  (Read 80178 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Atlantis campaign begins...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
Jollybob, are there no VSFers in 'almost Scotland' that you can cajole into playing a few games? Given the numbers of Geordies, Cumbrians and Scots on the forums, can you not find someone within 25 miles or so?

Sorry mate. Those gamers that I know of personally are a pack of... well... family site and all that, so I won't say it. And they never progressed beyond Codex 40,000 anyway.

The only other two that I know are more into painting than playing anyway (I'm much the same to be honest), and have very small children and therefore no free time. There may be a few others scattered about, but frankly, even a 25 mile journey could take the best part of a day at the moment.

I shall however watch the results come in with interest, and offer unwanted advice as I see fit.  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
 ;)

All unwanted advice gratefully received. And it's a good point about the snow. Once the travelling season starts again, and if you find anyone to play with who isn't a twonk, and if you want a game anyway instead of just painting... maybe you could sign up then and arrive as re-inforcements for someone. In the meantime, peruse away and offer any 'helpful' advice you see fit.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
You might want to have some deep interior areas of the continent where Atlanteans may emerge from... a month or two from now...  ;)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Well, at the moment, all the forces (Japanese, American, British, Prussian/German, French etc) are still still steaming full speed for the coasts, where they will presumably be establishing beach-heads, scouting, foraging for supplies (and maybe occassionally attacking each other/being ambushed by the natives) before pushing on into the interior... that gives me a few days to sort out the maps I think  ;)

This campaign is still very much open by the way, just because the first notices have gone up, it just means that Jimbibbly's Japanese will be the first to make direct contact... possibly even making landing in the morning (of course, what we need is a moderator in the Azores who's in the proper timezone, dammit)... the 'Scramble for Atlantis' is on, and if you want your faction to be part of it, all you need to do is say so!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »

Malamute, you don't have to commit to playing a certain number of games, though obviously the point is to play some; many a colonial army turned up on some foreign shore, sat on a beach, went "ho hum" then went home again without doing much. If you might have time to play some games, I'd say, go for it, even if your particular force doesn't manage to accomplish much.

Ok, ok you have got me. :)

I will most likely be gaming with Messrs JimBibbly, Thunderchicken, Dewbakuk and Bullshott.

Forces- Mainly British inc Royal Geographical Society Expedition with the Illustrated London News overseas reporting team and.... their opposition the dastardly Prussians!

Gaslight/Valour & Flesh & Steel large skirmishes with steam and rivet goodness.

Let me know if you need me to do anything as mod for the VSF board, making posts sticky etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:16:18 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
OK, you're in. Nice to know that the Royal Geographical Society is sending an expedition, I wonder if they'll have a spectauclar war (of words) with the expedition from Miskatonic University? Or whether the love of knowledge for its own sake will unite these men of learning in a quest for higher truths... no what am I saying, it'll be competitions about who's got the biggest beard leading to poisoned inkwells at dawn, won't it?

As with the others, PMs will soon be flying. You'll be arriving a little after some of the others, presumably because the Royal Geographers took a little while to get organised... but you too can soon be in possession of a glorious map of the west coast of Atlantis (presumably, your geographers were returning to Blighty after surveying the North West Passage or counting the Lesser Antilles or something...).

Thanks for the heads up about your mod-powers - I hadn't really thought of that. I know who to come to, cheers.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
OK, you're in. Nice to know that the Royal Geographical Society is sending an expedition, I wonder if they'll have a spectauclar As with the others, PMs will soon be flying. You'll be arriving a little after some of the others, presumably because the Royal Geographers took a little while to get organised... but you too can soon be in possession of a glorious map of the west coast of Atlantis (presumably, your geographers were returning to Blighty after surveying the North West Passage or counting the Lesser Antilles or something...).

Malamute - If you need some suitable troops to add to your sailors, Royal Marines, etc gto operations in the tropics I can offer you the use of my WW1 Kings African Rifles as a substitute for the West India Regt (= 2 x GASLIGHT units).  But then again, you will of course have all the resources that the Imperial forces in Canada can offer - so lots more opportunities to field your Home Service troops: )
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
Malamute - If you need some suitable troops to add to your sailors, Royal Marines, etc gto operations in the tropics I can offer you the use of my WW1 Kings African Rifles as a substitute for the West India Regt (= 2 x GASLIGHT units).  But then again, you will of course have all the resources that the Imperial forces in Canada can offer - so lots more opportunities to field your Home Service troops: )

Cheers Sir Henry,

I might just call on you,. On the other hand there's a fair chance that a detachment of the famous Bhurpa rifles led by Sgt Bundit-Din will be in the expedition.. :D ::)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
Well done Red Orc for taking the idea and running with it!  :D

Down here in Sth East Oz (Melbourne) we Have the Brits (me) versus the Prussians with the Martians popping up from time to time.We also look like having a arab mercenary force and also boxer chinese to contend with.

Put me down and email me any relevant info so I can circulate among my fellow gamers.

Cheers
Fuzzy  ;)
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
I'm in, currently painting my lead mountain to raise an Arab army whilst 'resting' between contracts. I'll most probably be gaming with Bullshott et al when the chaps are finished.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
OK chaps:

Fuzzy, wouldn't have started without your groundwork - your initial post was the inspiration I was looking for (the reason I joined LAF, in fact) so hats of to you as the man who inspired it all. I'll let you know where your forces will be turning up in due course.

Dr De'Ath, Arabs sound like fun, are you thinking Mahdi-ists/pro-Egyptian govt in exile, Barbary/Moorish Pirates, or troops fighting for France or Spain, or what? It doesn't really matter, but it's nice to have an idea of the background. Any idea when they'll be joining the party?

And to everyone, the first forces have landed on Atlantis... both the Imperial Japanese government and the USA have announced that their forces were due to make landfall today. Other governments are expected to make similar announcements shortly...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
I would like to join the campaign but I only have two small forces British and Chinese to face off against each other.
Both forces are still a long way away from being finished painted but I am trying. I am on a extra long forced holiday at the moment so I may manage to get some more painted.
Not sure how many games I can get in at the start of the year as my games table is in the garrage and its a bit cold at this time of year.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »
You're welcome to join the crazy maelstrom anyway, even with cold garages and unpainted Chinese and British.

Are you planning on gaming with anyone else who's already expressed an interest, or will you be setting something up on your own? If you're gaming with others excellent, let me know who and I'll assign you all a province. If you're on you're own, you can have a smaller-scale region to fight it out in.

Let me know when and if you're planning to have a game and we can work on a backstory (perhaps your British force has been chasing pirates all the way from the South China Sea; or maybe your Chinese are legitimate businessmen who have decided to try their luck in western waters, and your British are re-inforcements for another force that have been blown off course; or, indeed, something better than any of these ideas).

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
"Your correspondant can reveal that, on this auspicious day, he was present to witness tracked amphibian vehicles of the United States Marine Corps making landfall on Atlantis. Marine Sergeant Eastwood leapt from the lead amphibian and planted the Stars and Stripes on the beach, to the cheers of his comrades ariving ashore.
The marines have been supplied by our govenment to provide protection and support to a geographical expedition headed by Professor Armitage Shanks of the Miskatonic University. I will be accompanying this expedition on its journey of discovery in this new world."

Ivor Pencil
Washington Post

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
 lol

Bravo, Bullshott! Professor Armitage Shanks indeed! Are there to be any pictures of this historic event? Presumably we have to wait a few days for those to be couriered back to Boston by boat, as there's no way to send pictures by galvanic telegraph...