Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atlantis campaign begins...  (Read 80379 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Atlantis campaign begins...
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:25 AM »

Ivor Pencil
Washington Post

A Welshman working for the Yanks? Whatever next ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
Dr De'Ath, Arabs sound like fun, are you thinking Mahdi-ists/pro-Egyptian govt in exile, Barbary/Moorish Pirates, or troops fighting for France or Spain, or what? It doesn't really matter, but it's nice to have an idea of the background. Any idea when they'll be joining the party?

They will be the forces of the Caliph of Khosinda (Khosinda being a ficticious West African country). If you picture them as irregular Barbary/Moorish pirates looking for loot with the backing of a wealthy European benefactor/employer seeking to enhance his collection of Antiquities, then that's the kind of thing I am thinking of.

If all goes according to plan, the first contingent will be in action this Saturday in a test game vs Bulshott.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
Ah why not, I'll throw in with the American scientific expeditions. The 'Collegium of New Science' has sent an expeditionary force to see if Atlantis will act as a suitable 'test bed' for recent innovation. The gullys used previously in California have started to act a little strangely....

As a newly established Western college, they have little time for their staid, bookish and prim counterparts from the East...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
All great news chaps. PMs now flying through the aether...

There are reports that forces of the British Empire have also landed on Atlantis. The War Office in Whitehall issued a statement to that effect, but this was later denied by the Admiralty. The Foeign Secretary, hunting stags in Scotland with the Her Majesty, was unavailable for comment.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 05:50:26 AM »
Atlantis it is.....
I can join in, but I am not likely to get a game in until next Friday and then about every other week there after. 

We can field most powers, Brits/Indians/Canadians/DIsreali Army, Americans,
Prussians, Japanese, Russians, French, Arabs, Irish Free state.

I will be playing with Alfrik, Skrapwelder, Operon, and a few non-LAFfer as well.

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
RedOrc -

I'd be very happy to take part with what I have, though I might be a slow starter at first, as my units need some polishing up (movers, I think I explained when I first joined, did a terribly thorough job of thrashing my landships, among other things.) However... I do know that at least myself and my wife would be interested in participating, as well as the other members of our group.

I will likely be personally fielding an Austro-Hungarian Force (my second choice would be a German force; it depends upon how many AH troops I can get done once I've got my other projects for the month out of the way.)

My wife, Jennifer, will be fielding the British in our games. You can expect Highlanders and Post Office Rifles in the force, amongst others.

Further, the forces of the INSIDIOUS Dr. Crum are available, and may occasionally make an appearance, as may the Moon-Men, his erstwhile allies. I've go other smaller forces, but these are really too small to be represented. I cannot speak for the forces available from others in our group, but we have a group of between four to eight on alternate Thursday nights and occasional Saturdays, at least some of whom can probably supply Spaniards, various forms of natives, etc.

We would likely be playing small to large scale skirmish games using systems like VSF and Triumph and Tragedy.

-Doc

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
Its sticky now for ease and future enjoyment :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »
Leadfool: that's brilliant news, especially if you have upcoming games. If you, Alfrik, Skrapwelder and Operon all picked a faction each and let me know, that would be even better. That doesn't mean you only get to game with that faction, but in effect each of you would be commanding a force on the big campaign map - I'll be posting some of the maps soon.

Doc Twighlight: more excellent news! It doesn't matter if you can't start right away, the forces currently arriving on Atlantis were hurridly-put-together expeditions or things that have been redirected from somewhere else, there will be a constant process of re-inforcement by powers with forces on the ground, as well as expeditionary forces from other countries that haven't sent troops yet. So, it's fine if your group doesn't turn up immediately, just let me know when you're ready to begin and we'll set it up.

Malamute: that's brilliant, cheers!

Everyone expecting PMs from me - sorry, Atlantis has been closed today because I've been at work. I will be dispatching more info as soon as I can; 42, Bullshott, Jimbibbly, I'm sorry I haven't sent your maps yet. And thanks guys, I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
Red Orc
It will be me and probably my brother using one of the forces I have. oldschoolrebel from the LAF may also be press ganged at some time.
The Chinese force is Imperial Chinese.
See this thread for the history so far.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13519.msg176373#msg176373
I think the general idea will be that the Chinese agents hear about the rise of Atlantis and see how all the big Colonial powers are clamouring to get there first. The Chinese do not want to be left behind and have sent an expedition. They see this as an opportunity to gain fantastic technology to propel China to the top of the colonial food chain.
The British force is a small recon force sent to explore away from the main British army but end up in the same region as the Chinese expedition. The British force is based around an Aeronef
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=9842.msg154171#msg154171
With a Naval detachment supported by some other contraptions
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11904.msg136657#msg136657
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11075.msg126981#msg126981
and some normal British infantry.
There will probably be some civilian advisers along with both forces, just to interfere.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »
Leadfool: that's brilliant news, especially if you have upcoming games. If you, Alfrik, Skrapwelder and Operon all picked a faction each and let me know, that would be even better. That doesn't mean you only get to game with that faction, but in effect each of you would be commanding a force on the big campaign map - I'll be posting some of the maps soon.

Doc Twighlight: more excellent news! It doesn't matter if you can't start right away, the forces currently arriving on Atlantis were hurridly-put-together expeditions or things that have been redirected from somewhere else, there will be a constant process of re-inforcement by powers with forces on the ground, as well as expeditionary forces from other countries that haven't sent troops yet. So, it's fine if your group doesn't turn up immediately, just let me know when you're ready to begin and we'll set it up.

Malamute: that's brilliant, cheers!

Everyone expecting PMs from me - sorry, Atlantis has been closed today because I've been at work. I will be dispatching more info as soon as I can; 42, Bullshott, Jimbibbly, I'm sorry I haven't sent your maps yet. And thanks guys, I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it!

Orc -

If you could send me some initial information (when you've the chance) that would help me in determining how best to build up the force. My basic concept here is that, for whatever reason, the Emperor has decided to do what the Imperialists in the country have wanted to do for decades, and to go ahead with sponsoring a colonial expedition to this new continent. If nothing else, it will serve as a distraction from the recent... err... issues at home. The force will probably be a predominantly Hungarian one (I know, huge shock there for those who know me).

Can't speak for the British, but I'm sure Jen will go with the flow. As long as she can use her Highlanders, she'll be happy.

-Doc

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 05:13:04 AM »
1 - Tommy20 (3-4 Players)
2 - Britain & Atlanteans (as long as they look remarkably like Space: 1889 Martians)
3 - Skirmish to start, small battles later, who knows...
-Tommy

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
Gamer Mac, that sounds great. As we have Japanese in the Atlantic, why not Chinese too? They may take a little time to get there (I'm behind with the map-processing for everyone at the moment, they're the things that are taking a long time: I'm having scanner problems so I'm drawing the maps with photo-editing software) but if you're planning any games soon let me know and we'll move you up the queue. PM you soon.

Doc, the Hungarians and the Highlanders will be able to turn up pretty much as soon as I have gotten a map sorted. I'll send you a PM with some details and some kind of timeframe.

Tommy, good to have you on board - I'll be sending you a PM too. Yes you can use the Martians, but there are Martians (and Venusians of varying kinds) on Atlantis anyway; the 'moderns' don't know this yet, but Atlantis was contacted by both Martians and Venusians 13,000 years ago by our time frame; only a few dozen years ago by their time frame (because of the temporal anomaly that has 'hidden' Atlantis for so long). So the long and short of it is, your Martians can be Martians if you want.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »
Bullshott and I had a small game yesterday - not sure if it was an 'official' Atlantis campaign game but . . .

Photos and report to be provided later. Should I post in this thread or are we going to have a separate thread for campaign battle reports?

Dr De'Ath

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
Contrary to initial reports, this writer can report that Professor Armitage Shanks has not been captured. The party that was attacked was not, as had been initially thought, from the Miskatonic University expedition but was actually a survey team working for the New England Mineral Company, that was in the process of undertaking a geological survey of the coastline between the US and Japanese landings, to the south of Port Harrison*.

Captain Heston, commanding the he marines defending the outpost towards which the survey team was fleeing, noted that the 'pirates' made use of numbers of automata and appeared to be led by a white man. This seems to indicate that the true perpetrators of this unprovoked attack were not actually pirates, but were instead agents of an, as yet unknown, power.

US Navy aeronefs have confirmed that there is no sign of the pirates onland, indicating that they have probably left the area by boat (there were too many of them to have been easily transported by flyer). Bad weather prevented the aeronefs widening their search along the coastline. It is almost certain that the pirates have a land base further along the coast, possibly beyond the Japanese landing.

As a result of this attack Professor Shanks and Major Wayne, commanding the small and lightly-armed marine force accompanying the expedition, have jointly requested that the government supply additional military resources to enable adequate protection to be provided for the expedition. Additionally, the Navy has promised additional gunboats and aeronefs to enable them to protect the coastline against these 'pirates'.

* The expedition's point of entry on Atlantis has been named Port harrison, in honour of the the incumbent president of the United States.

Ivor Pencil
Washington Post
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
Photos and report to be provided later. Should I post in this thread or are we going to have a separate thread for campaign battle reports?

Dr De'Ath

Excellent stuff, sounds great can't wait to see photos.

I can make make a separate sticky thread for battle reps?