Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "The Mahdist Sourcebook: Volume 1" Question  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
"The Mahdist Sourcebook: Volume 1" Question
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:46:11 AM »
I knew not of its existance.  I saw it at TVAG.

Is it recommended for Sudan gamers?

Thanks.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Re: "The Mahdist Sourcebook: Volume 1" Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:07:04 AM »
Definitely!  Get both Vols 1 & 2.

Mostly a collection of articles from Savage & Soldier magazine with some new bits thrown in.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:08:51 AM by Stecal »
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
I knew not of its existance.  I saw it at TVAG.

Is it recommended for Sudan gamers?

Thanks.

Certainly! I was lucky enough to be in at the start to pre-order it and have  my name in the "rogue's gallery" (smug mode) :D

Even if you have some of the older stuff from "Savage And Soldier", it is still worthwhile for the later additions such as the OoBs etc. It is probably the best single sudan reference work you can get. Also, Patrick is a real gentleman and a pleasure to do business with, so you can order from TVAG with confidence.

Definitely highly recommended!

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Do buy it.  I'm very happy with my copy.   It has also proven useful on two occasions to other club members for 'research'. 
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
What everybody else says (my name's in there, too...).  You said on TMP you were planning to order it.  Don't dick around: do it.  You will be very pleased at the content.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Did it   (well, my GF did it, one of my B-day presents)

BTW, All lead for B-Day!  :)  (besides a Gander Mountain ammunition gift card  , and a Canes Columbia fishing shirt, and another canes shirt from clients)

My Daughter "gave" me a shopping spree for peter Pig Colonials (One of those, I give her money, she gives it back in a nice card  lol)

My GF is ordering some figs, and my neighbor (a nice, very pretty  girl who I always help out, babysit her 1 year old daughter (I have her hooked on Glenn beck, Spongebob and South Park), etc.)  is taking me to Michaels Crafts , tuesday and buying me "All the Folk Art Paint and Sculpey" I need for my Sudan project.

YAY!  Being one heck of a good guy does have it's rewards!!!!   lol

BTW, Allen, I thought of you this weekend.  I never sent you tequilla.  I forgot, big time. 

My uncle (the owner, CEO of our tequilla distillery) wrecked my boat that weekend (head on collision  with a million dollar Bertram in 8 foot seas in Biscayne bay, both craft were going at least 20 knots, my damage @ $300, their damage @ $10,000, I LOVE MY BOAT!!!)

and we argued about whether  we should continue to keep a corporation owned   boat with my name on the damn insurance if he is to continue his Ben Hur ways of maritime activity (the Marine Patrol and Sherrifs wrote off the accident as "both captains operating too fast for conditions,  (the other guy) at fault"....

I will send within the next 10 days!!!!!!!!   My bad, my freind.

You certainly are worthy of our finest vintage, and this you shall get!!!!

PS  (Get very thin, tall shot glasses, fill with 50% tequilla (El Jimador, please) and 50% Ginger Ale.   Place your hand over the top, shake up vigorously, hand to your wife, and say "DRINK!"  Repeat about six or seven times in quick succession, and she will do anything (if you know what I mean  ;) )  you want!  We call it a "Muppet" 'cause after a couple, you can manipulate your woman like she was a puppet!   lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
Well done to your GF! Smart lady  :D

My uncle (the owner, CEO of our tequilla distillery) ....

That would come under the heading of "mixed blessing" for me. Damn stuff gives me the worst hangovers in the galaxy  :(

Now having an uncle who is the owner of a whiskey distillery would be a different matter entirely  ;D

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
Our stuff is so smooth, we sip  it out of cognac snifters!

Seriously, don't think Quervo, Parton, and such is real tequilla.

The true test:  Pour a drop on the backside of your hand.  If it beads up, like olive oil, it is high quality.  If it runs like water or alcohol, it is garbage.

Funny enough, "Juarez", a well brand, bottom shelf label, beads like glue, and is really a quite good brand.

Our brands are El Jimador, and we were/are in on Herradura.

Both are fantastic, and you have a drink worthy of Aztec royalty when you get a $15 fifth of El Jimador blanco!!!

(It's a side business, our real business is the  production of  candles
and high quality canvas sails (for ships)  (and, may or may not be producing unlicensed FN FALS for the Mexican Gubmint   ;)

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
Lovely: we've had just the right type of glasses since 1975!

Proper ginger ale/beer or Canada Dry?  I would think a strong ginger would struggle with the tequila.

I reorganized the bar the other day.  I still have half a bottle of El Jimador reposado; I'm getting down to the last of a bottle of Casco Viejo reposado.  And one of Sauza blanco, for margaritas, of course.

Back on topic (sort of): I hope you're going to be thinking of what to drink during Sudan games.  To be completely authentic (if illegal) it should be aragi, a bootleg distillation from date wine and sorghum mash; but you may have to settle for commercial arak:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t350.html

Since alcohol is forbidden for the Ansar, perhabs you could find some zibib for your Egyptian troops.  Anise-flavored, like arak, but made from raisins instead of fresh grapes, it is unbelievably foul stuff.

Allen

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
Karkady (Egyptian Hibiscus tea) is quite nice, if you don't do booze. Fortunately Egyptians are more sensible than the folks of some other countries I could mention, and they do do booze.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:27 PM »
The true test:  Pour a drop on the backside of your hand.  If it beads up, like olive oil, it is high quality.  If it runs like water or alcohol, it is garbage.

But what if it just steams and removes all the hair ? :~}
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:37 PM »
But what if it just steams and removes all the hair ? :~}

Then it's Mescal!   :)

Maybe I should do modern North Africa gaming, and get all high on Cot?

Intriging Sudanese/Egyptian drinks.  I will pursue acquiring them.

(My old GF, from Turkey, still hooks me up with authentic bottles of Rucca.  Now THAT stuff will make you crazy!)

Speaking of hallucinations, back in my beer brewing days, I experimented with mead.  It tasted good, but something went very wrong with my fermentation/aging process (or very right, depending on wether you have been to a dead show or not) and it was hallucinagenic.  Seriously.  Everyone that drank it went kinda nuts for a few hours.

Allen,  the stuff I'm sending you is our reposado.   ;)

I don't know about "rea"l Ginger ale for "Muppets".   The whole purpose is that Canada Dry masks any and all hint of the booze, therefor making it perfect for liquoring up the weemen (like the old "Sloe Gin Fizz" we used on unsuspecting girls back in high school).

However, I am a true fan of "ginger beer" and real ginger ale!  (I get authentic ginger beer from a local Jamaican grocery, and it is top notch!!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:36:36 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
OK, no problem.  We won't go the ginger ale route then.  We both like real ginger beer and real ginger ale, but the missus is not averse to tequila.  No masking required.

The El Jimador reposado makes a tasty margarita, too.

Plynkes, one of the Middle Eastern groceries within driving range (almost down to Brookhurst Hobbies) carried some lovely hibiscus tea that we're still working on.  At the moment though (trying to stay awake through the afternoon) it's PG Tips is a big mug.  I shall go put on my pith helmet and make the missus call me MC Mental...

Allen

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
Brookhurst?  Is it a neat store?

I think I'm ordrering my peter Pig figs from him.

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »
They've done away with a lot of the neater stuff over the last twenty years that we've been out here.  Used to carry more of imported British figure lines.  But yes, they're "the" US source for PP.

Allen