Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:00:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Egyptian Empire!  (Read 39317 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Egyptian Empire!
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
So... I've been waiting for the stuff I needed to start working on my Egyptian Empire and having finally received it, I have begun painting up my first figure... so... the fluff!

In 1855, rumors began to spread throughout Egypt that a mysterious man claiming to be the Sun God Ra himself had appeared in the region of the Upper Nile. 

As his followers increased it is said that one day he was confronted by a group of women, the oldest of whom demanded that he prove that he was indeed the God of the Sun.  Ra smiled at the old women and then touched her lightly on the head with rod he always carried in his right hand and declared was the "Staff of Ra."  After a blinding light engulfed the women she was seen to be lying dead on the sand.  The other women rushed over to the old lady and began shouting "to kill does not prove that you are God!"  At which time Ra touched the old women again with his staff.  Another blinding light engulfed the women for a fraction of second, but when it disappeared, the old lady was seen to be breathing.

And Ra spoke "Only a God can bring life where there is none!"

It is said that the old lady was in fact the High Priestess of a secret order of Isis which had existed for centuries awaiting the return of the Gods.  What is known is that very shortly after Ra's encounter with the old woman, the treasures of the Pharaohs began to fall at his feet and his acclaim grew so wildly that the ruler Sa'id of Egypt, (grandson of Kavalali Mehmed Ali Pasha) felt compelled to lead a military expedition to destroy him.

Sa'id's army met with Ra and his followers on the West Bank of the Nile opposite the city of Thebes.  Seeing the "unarmed rabble" assembled with Ra, Sa'id rode out in front of his army and declared that a small fortune would be given to the man who brought him the head of Ra.  His men cheered with anticipation of victory but at just that moment a bolt of light flew from the staff in Ra's hand, striking the monarch and instantly killing him.

The army, seeing the spectacular death of their King, then fell on its' knees, declaring Ra to be the God of the Sun and Pharaoh of Egypt.

:D

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Egyptian Empire!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Very nice, Ray. An Egyptian VSF army, that's innovative. Looking forward to your first (of many) pics then ...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
Very nice, Ray. An Egyptian VSF army, that's innovative. Looking forward to your first (of many) pics then ...

My thougths too, looking forward to seeing them ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »
Oh this sounds like its going to be great, will we be seeing some Wargods mins involed in this?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
will we be seeing some Wargods mins involed in this?

Close... I'll be using some of their accessories at some point though.

After the build-up... hope I can come up with a reasonably painted "Ra."

He is definately... different.    o_o

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
This is going to be fun to watch. Great concept Ray!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
You just know this is going to be good with Rivers on the case. Wholly original and intrigueing concept. Bravo
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
You just know this is going to be good with Rivers on the case.

Sounds like a story featuring a 1930's pulp police inspector or former pilot/Adventurer of the Royal Flying Corps ala Biggles:
Rivers of the Yard, Rivers big adventure, Rivers battles the Hun etc... lol

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
Stop typing man, and get painting! I want to see what you have lined up for this  :D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »
Sounds like a story featuring a 1930's pulp police inspector or former pilot/Adventurer of the Royal Flying Corps ala Biggles:

:o

lol lol lol

:-I

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
The death of the king on the plain bordering the ancient Valley of the Kings spread like wild fire throughout the realm.

Ra, his followers and army followed the river Nile northwards and came to rest at the city of Alexandria.  He declared the city his capital and ordered the restoration of all ancient monuments, temples and palaces.  The construction was paid in gold and attracted thousands of skilled workers, engineers and scientists from all over the world.  A great wave of prosperity gripped the country and as its people came to adore their Pharaoh, Ra promised them eternal life in return.

And as his power grew, his gaze turned toward the great powers of Europe.  He summoned representatives from these Empires for talks.  The French, British and Ottoman's were deeply suspicious of Ra's motives and warned against expansion.  The delegations from these countries were summarily dismissed and banished from the country.

And so it was that when the Prussian delegation arrived they immediately bowed in the presence of Ra and begged him to accept a small gift from their country, a gift which he could see from the window above the courtyard.  Ra strode to the window and looked below and there stood 100 pure bred white Arabian horses.  And he was pleased...

>:D

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
This sounds like it's going to be good! Can't wait to see some minis.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
Will it have any sort of Victorian Stargate elements, or is Ra more "mythological" than Sci-Fi ?

Whatever, it is a great concept and like the rest, I'll be very impatient to see the pics  :D

It seems more like "Rivers in Spate" at the moment, what with the volume of Ray's current output  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Will it have any sort of Victorian Stargate elements, or is Ra more "mythological" than Sci-Fi ?

VSF with a Stargate kinda twist?  That would be fairly strange now wouldn't it?

::)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
VSF with a Stargate kinda twist?  That would be fairly strange now wouldn't it?

::)

lol

Never been done to my knowledge....  ;)

Well, except for Jolly Bob, Dewbakuk and probably several more ....  ::)

No, seriously, I wasn't sure how you were going to represent Ra - a high-tech alien, a magician (alternative technology?), or even a bona-fide God. As far as I'm concerned all three are great ideas for a VSF world. I'm happy to use at least the first two options in my games and if I could work out playable rules probably the third too. After all, pretty well anything goes  :)