Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mission to the moon! UPDATED, with blurry pictures!  (Read 9507 times)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Mission to the moon! UPDATED, with blurry pictures!
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
For 2010 I wanted to do a single big non GW project. Originally I was planning to do a Weird War II, but when I mentioned VSF there seemed to be a lot of interest, a lot more interest in fact.

Actually even my non-wargaming rpg group expressed some interest in it as well.

None of my players, nor myself are history buffs, or nowhere near that area and time. We think its interesting and all, simply don’t know all that much about it.

So that opens up even more possibilities, in fact, I can get myself the Perry miniatures plastic kits and have more infantry then I will ever need per side.

So that decides the English, in scarlet ofcourse. The American union, in blue, but who next? Something evil... due to reasons mentioned above I think I can get away with using French as evil Prussians!

There is still one person who’s interest I want to make sure will remain on this campaign. My girlfriend. She mainly has interest in fantasy, tough Victorian has quite some charm to her. She only collects one sort of miniature at the moment, night goblins, lots of them. Now how to ad those in. Perhaps a underground war? Hollow earth?  Not really my style.

The Moon! How science fiction! And the little green men with moons on their shields, how appropriate. And my new grey rock crater and snow board fits in perfectly. (hey, I can have snow on the moon!) 

So now we have aggressive green moon men natives, always good for fun times. (you can keep your Zulus!)

The system will be savage worlds, I am ok at building things in its showdown version and having a crossover RPG running alongside it will be easy!

Anyhow, Any good idea’s for this, plot twists, no matter how cliché, must have minis? I am pretty sure the huntsman spider tank will be mine soon enough for this.  (no Prussian can go without)   

As a side bonus, I scraped up a Prussian turret for their moon base (they should have one!)
So some pictures:

So, will I actually stick to this project?

Shall their be battle reports and campaign status updates?

Do the horizontal stripes make the emperors troops look fat?

W ho knows stay tuned!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:32:55 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Mission to the moon!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
Why use French as Prussians? Why not use Prussians as Prussians, they're probably one of the two easiest sets of VSF troops available?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
To be honest; laziness. I don’t want to spend to much money on this, so I wanted something plastic, the Perry miniatures are extremely well priced and those are they have.
Besides that, one of my main gaming buddies will soon place a large bulk order at maelstrom games so I was looking for something to go on that list.

But if somebody can point my at a nice multipart plastic Prussian kit that goes well with the perry ones (or has some other factions of its own) for a decent price I would love to know.

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »
Actually, those shifty frogs were considered with suspicion by Victoria, who tolerated her relative Willy and his silly behaviour.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21:11 AM »
SURE DO THIS PROJECT! And dont forget battle reports and MINI PHOTOS!
I was always interested in Victorian Space! To bad there are not much vsf space adventures/stories/pics

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Love the turret! Keep it coming.

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
i will be interested to see how this project go's. two or three years afgon I painted up a battle of Skull Pass set up for my son as a Christmas present,  by new years day he had decided he was into 40k >:( , so I inherited the Night Goblins which i rather like, Im not really into Warhammer that much but I do like Night Goblins and you can get a reasonable size army pretty cheap. I have been pondering how to introduce them into VSF and had decided they they would probably be besty in a Hollow Earth scenario, but I think the moon is a good idea too.
For anyone into Victorian style space advetuers I recomend the Space captain smith books here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Captain-Smith-Chronicles-Isambard/dp/1905802137

Mors

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »
The Space Captain Smith books are awesome. Disengage brain and immerse yourself in the humour :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »
Seconded or rather thirded on Space Captain Smith. Great books. Like Biggles with jokes, sex, and hyperdrives.

@ YPU; why not use the French as French? Britain wasn't really that concerned about Germany until about 1907; certainly, we were more bothered about France (the Fasoda Incident etc). After all, England and France have been enemies for nearly 1,000 years, compared to which any unpleasantness with Germany in the last 100 is recent history if not current affairs (and in Victoria's time was dystopian raving).

In fact, Victorian England was pretty pro-German, given that prince Albert was German, Victoria was half-German, most of her children married Germans, and after all, hang and whatnot, the Germans hated the French too (and beat them in the Franco-Prussian War). In short, I really can't understand the VSF thing for making the Prussians the bad guys (except, of course, they have great bad guy hats, which is very important).

@ Mors; there are very small Morlocks on Atlantis that look suspiciously like Night Goblins  ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
I love the idea of Night Goblins on the moon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
Have you read First Men in the Moon by H G Wells? You might get some inspiration from that. There's a couple of film versions too. It's on my 'project to do list' so it will be interesting to see how your project develops.
Don't!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
Why use French as Prussians? Why not use Prussians as Prussians, they're probably one of the two easiest sets of VSF troops available?

Or, why not have a fictional central European superpower as the bad guys. You can then use whatever figures and uniform colours you want. As an added bonus, no real-life nations are cast as the bad guys, so you can even have the French and Prussians fighting alongside the British  :o

Radical, I know, but it might just work  lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »
Night goblins on the moon...  o_o

I'm having a hard time getting that image in my mind.

Perhaps a photo might help  ???   :D

The turret, btw, looks excellent!

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
Hm, I still am not sure about who the evil guys should be.

However Red Orc makes a good point on the French. I was already thinking about how the English and the French are always trying to best each other. However I always felt it was something of a gentlemen’s animosity of sorts, you know it a bit like they should hate each other but will band together should a larger treat present itself.

On the other hand, lets say that napoleon stayed emperor and concurred  a large part of Europe.
Perhaps he is even still alive long afther he should have died, due to weird science! Or magic?

Since  I will be DM’ing the rpg I will also play the evil guys here, wetter they are French or not.

I’ll see if I can get my hands on some of the books you guys mentioned on short notice, and i’ll be sure to update you on the status of this.

Actually should I use the French as bad guys I guess I should need to repaint the turret.

Actually for some reason the images of the French heavy cavalry from perry really has an evil vibe to me for some reason, that might actually have sparked me wanting to use them as prusians in the first place.

EDIT:
Ordered the First Perry miniatures English. Those are so cheap in respect to the company that should not be named but those guys also work for.

I considered also ordering gas mask heads from some other company but to get some for the English and some appropriate ones for the French. And then perhaps the Americans if they come in. I don’t think it would be worth it.

And in any case I think being able to breathe on the moon has a high VSF value to me in the first place. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:59:41 PM by YPU »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »
It's a lovely turret and I don't think you should repaint it to be honest, it's too nice.

I'm sure there could be many reasons why the British and French could be contesting a Prussian turret... perhaps the Moon Men have taken it over, perhaps it's a prefabricated turret dropped on the moon that has crashed and the vile French and perfidious English are both attempting to capture it for their own nefarious ends (hey, Prussians as good guys, there's a spin on VSF that never gets played)...

Not sure that the animosity between Britain (read, England) and France was all that gentlemanly. Maybe the British could be the bad guys?

BTW - Napoleon did conquer a large part of Europe! He just didn't hold it very long. There's a series of VSF Manga books based around the idea of a steampunk French Empire ruled by Napoleon IV in about 1890, they have great ships and submarines... I'm pretty sure it has Captain Nemo in too. My 12-yr-old son has just informed me that's it's called "Nemo" so I'm even more sure it has Captain Nemo in now. Perhaps it might be worth checking out.

Anyway, there are some thoughts, do with as will...