Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flintloque  (Read 6222 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Flintloque
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Hi

Has anyone played the new rules? Are they any good?

i had a proof copy of the very first set, but the game was atouch one sided.

If not does anyone use the figs with other rules?

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Re: Flintloque
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:09:40 AM »
I play Slaugterloo, the mass battle version of Flintlogue

At last count I had around 6 divisions of Undead and about the same for Ferach and her allies so roughly 1200 figures or so.
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Phil_McCrackin

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:02:13 AM »
I've loved the idea of Flintloque for years, but I simply hate the figures.  They're so chunky and ill-shapen, which breaks my heart, because I LOVE the idea.
Member of the Our Lady of Perpetual Rugged Adventure. On death we will be judged by the triumvirate. Tintin will decide if he would write about us. Indiana Jones, if he would travel with us, and Jesus if our adventures were righteous. Amen.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:54 AM »
Many years ago I along with Matakishi and others used to play Flintloque as a skirmish game using the Freikorps: Horse and Musket rules (written by Tim Peterson for Foundry), these produced an excellent, fun game with great tension not knowing whose guns were loaded ready to fire, or whether my pesky Rastafarian halflings were stoned again! The Rules may still be available if you write to Tim Peterson at gisby@mts.net

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
I've loved the idea of Flintloque for years, but I simply hate the figures.  They're so chunky and ill-shapen, which breaks my heart, because I LOVE the idea.

I'm going to provide a counterpoint here and say that I like the figures quite a bit. They have a lot of character and are the 3-dimensional realization of the style of sketch art that is used to illustrate the rule books. I think that perhaps they are a love em or hate em sort of thing, but the chunkiness and stylization are part of the appeal in my opinion, and they paint up quite well.

In terms of the rules, they are now in their third printing and are quite fun and decently balanced in comparison to the 1st edition. There is also a "Light" edition available if you are curious to check them out.

http://www.alternative-armies.com/Free_Flintloque_Lite.htm

They have also just recently come out with a new edition of "Death in The Snow," which pits undead "Russians" against ramshackle French retreating from "Moscova."  (This is personally my favorite theater of the world and the main thing that got me into the game.)

http://www.alternative-armies.com/5026_Flintloque_3rd_-_Death_in_the_Snow.htm

I would say download the free rules and play with Napoleonic figs you already have just to test out the system. If you like it, pick up the Deadlands boxed set, which gives you all the figs you need to play a decent game for a good price.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »

At last count I had around 6 divisions of Undead and about the same for Ferach and her allies so roughly 1200 figures or so.

I'd be happy to see some more pics, but I have closer to 120 figs so I'll go for one of the other two options...

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
  I've played them, and I think they're more balanced now. Mike White, who worked on the rules, and I have played a couple of games with him.
One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
I've played them, and I think they're more balanced now. Mike White, who worked on the rules, and I have played a couple of games with him.

Yes but are they fun?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
I've just received the new Death in the Snow (DITS) rule book. When I say just received, I mean they arrived on Thursday last week!  So I would not like to comment on the newest rule set.

However I have played Flintloque for over ten years - a mix of First edition (not so good - but loads of fun) and then Deadloque, which in my opinion was the best set ever, filling out the racial types and adding some great new game rules, I've even tried the Flintloque basic or quick rule set which I think is still available from Alternative Armies.

I enjoy the fun element of Flintloque - Napoleonic but not completely serious and with great characterisation.

On a separate note - I think the figures are great, particularly some of the earlier (and now rare) sculpts.  I know that they are 'cartoony' but whats the issue with that?

I will be writing a review of the DITS rules on my Blog within the next couple of days - check it out at;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Regards

Tony

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »

I think they are, yes. I also like the miniatures, as the cartoonish look is a break from the darker figs I use for other games.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

On a separate note - I think the figures are great, particularly some of the earlier (and now rare) sculpts.  I know that they are 'cartoony' but whats the issue with that?

Regards

Tony

All of my figs are the first lot ever, the very firstlot I got I traded directly from Mack (wh had also painted them for a demo game:)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
I have always liked the figures, much more thzn the rules infact. Though there are a few figs that I don't like

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »
Used to have lots of Undead and French and played a fore runner to Slaughterloo - Rank and Vyle not too bad a set and for smaller units

I think the first figures were by Mike Owen IIRC

http://www.blease.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WG.rankeandvyle.html

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
Hello, can't believe I missed this!

They are a wonderful set of rules, they are fun as long as the people running the game are fun people!

The background is wonderfully simple, yet witty but also filled with tongue-in-cheek puns. Some are bad, others are good and some you will only realise once you read the osprey of the relevant country!

For me, it is a wonderful system, I especially love the miniatures and the nature of the game in them. As it is based on the Napoleonic wars, I feel inclined to do research, however, if I get the colour of an Orc Infantryman's Lace from the County of Snottinghamshire, I won't mind! The miniatures have a wonderful charm, if they were too serious, the background would not run alongside it as well as it does and I would find it harder to play such 'heroic' scenarios as those found on 'www.orcsinthewebbe.co.uk'. You must also remember that since Mike Owen left the company, they have run on a purely fan-based policy. I.e. they do not 'hire' sculptors, but they do have miniature designers who put their time to making new miniatures purely for the love of the game. I am one of these people. AA are a small company and given the reasons behind their downfall, they don't want to distribute as widely as they did before, preferring a more mail order based company.

The rules are in their 3rd edition which is by far the best, most smooth and the most informative. A lot of people have a problem with the release schedule (one book at a time), but I rather like this. Big tomes scare me if I'm honest! It also means they make less mistakes in the editorial part!

I'd get the Flintloque lite rules first (which are free), try out a few games using whatever you have and then give it a go properly!

And anyone who says they are bad sculpts, try it out! Prove you can do better you sods! :P
I kid (sort of), to each to their own and all that!

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:54 AM »
I love the look of the undead Russians. The rest of the range doesn't really grab me though, but I've got nothing against it. The game looks pretty interesting.