Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689843
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - Bonus Rounds  (Read 39245 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - Bonus Rounds
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
The bonus themes will be:

Round 1 – The Savage Sword of...

..Conan the Barbarian!

Paint five or more Barbarians or other peoples of Conan's world (Serpent Men, Black Kingdoms, Aquilonia etc.) and get 10 extra bonus points. Or paint some Barbarians or other peoples of Conan's world on Horseback and get 15 bonus points. Other animal mounts (sable tiger, lizards, whatever) will be permitted.

Round 5 – Zombies

Paint five or more Zombies (Sci-fi, Near future, Victorian, Old West, etc.) and get 10 extra bonus points.
Paint five and more Zombies and a team of five or more intrepid adventurers figthing against zombies and get 20 bonus points

Round 10 – Victorian Sci-Fi

Paint a team of five or more victorian Sci-Fi adventurers (humans, martians etc.) and get 10 bonus points

Paint a team of five or more victorian Sci-Fi adventurers (humans, martians etc.) and a small vehicle (a car, a tank, a small boat, etc.) and get 15 bonus points.

Paint a team of five or more victorian Sci-Fi adventurers (humans, martians etc.) and a small vehicle (a car, a tank, a small boat, etc.) and a large vehicle (aeronef, terranef, submarine, gun boat, etc.) and get 25 bonus points.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:09:45 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - Bonus Rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »
Do Barsoomian Martians count as VSF figures for the purposes of the bonus round? If so, how large does a Barsoomian flyer have to be to count as a large vehicle...?
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
How barbaric should the barbarian horsemen be for Round one? Would wild-eyed Cossacks or Samurai cavalry be considered suitably barbaric, or is this really limited to bare-chested Conan-type cavalry...?

What about suitably barbaric fantasy cavalry (Goblin Wolf Riders, Wood Elf Wild Riders, Centaurs, etc.)?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:51:13 AM by Heldrak »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:22:56 AM »

It just a suggestion for the next LPLs or a constructive criticism if you like, but it would be nice to have at least one of the 3 bonus rounds with a more historical theme… whatever that might be...
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:44 AM »
It just a suggestion for the next LPLs or a constructive criticism if you like, but it would be nice to have at least one of the 3 bonus rounds with a more historical theme… whatever that might be...

The previous LPL had Germans, cavalry & "Lost World" as it's three bonus rounds, so two out of three were generally historical.

The VSF loons will argue that VSF is "generally historical", of course, but they're loons. Steam-powered, rivetted loons, at that.  ;)

My very personal gripe is that none of the three bonus rounds falls into any of my areas of interest. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma with regard to doing LPL4 or sitting it out... but that's just me.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
The VSF loons will argue that VSF is "generally historical", of course, but they're loons. Steam-powered, rivetted loons, at that.   ;) 

I think "vaguely historical" is more apt for us :D

I don't believe I have any Barbarian figures or a use for any currently, but I'll just paint something else.... Yes, that means I'm actually going to try and join in this year!

Even if you don't do the bonus themes, you'll still score points based on the painted figs you enter for that round. For those painters with a real hope of getting a medal I doubt it's going to affect them that much.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
No problem, guys. We still could switch from the Barbarian round to a historical one. Just make some suggestions.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
Depends on how you read "Barbarian" IMHO.

Lots of historical barbarians... just ask the Romans!   8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
I personally don't think you should change, Alex. None of the bonus categories particularly are suits my preferences, historical or not, and that has happened quite a few times before. I never saw that as a restriction but as part of the challenge, as this must be true for all but the most 'broad' painters. I'd rather let the decision to the good judgement of the person who's the current LPL general than to a democratic argument to what they should be.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
I'm in a democratic mood today :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:44:19 AM »
Bad timing. I've got a lot on over the next few months, but hopefully will get enough painting done to enter every round.  ::)
Zombies and VSF?  :o I take it you didn't discuss this with Captain Blood.  :D
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
Bad timing. I've got a lot on over the next few months, but hopefully will get enough painting done to enter every round.  ::)
Zombies and VSF?  :o I take it you didn't discuss this with Captain Blood.  :D

...nor Plynkes. :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
Nonsense, I love Shaun of the Dead, and Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
I'm fine with all three, even though I may not be able to do them all. For the barbarian round I'll probably paint some Foundry American Indians and just do the ones without firearms. Might not match the theme properly but it fits generally (in my head) and the figs need painting anyway :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:16:18 PM »
How barbaric should the barbarian horsemen be for Round one? Would wild-eyed Cossacks or Samurai cavalry be considered suitably barbaric, or is this really limited to bare-chested Conan-type cavalry...?

What about suitably barbaric fantasy cavalry (Goblin Wolf Riders, Wood Elf Wild Riders, Centaurs, etc.)?

The Bonus theme is The Savage sword of Conan. I think it's really clear. No cossacks, no samurai, no goblins or wood elves.