Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - Bonus Rounds  (Read 39241 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - Bonus Rounds
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
I'm fine with all three, even though I may not be able to do them all. For the barbarian round I'll probably paint some Foundry American Indians and just do the ones without firearms. Might not match the theme properly but it fits generally (in my head) and the figs need painting anyway :)

It's a bit on the edge but I could accept that if they wouldn't carry any firearms.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
... Lots of historical barbarians... just ask the Romans!   8)

lol

As I said, it was only a suggestion for the next LPL (season 5 and so on…) I'm Okay with the choices made by the Prof. I don’t have any figures for these themes but I will participate anyway because I like painting figures… plus, I managed to sell half the figures I painted in the last LPL season  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »
Do Barsoomian Martians count as VSF figures for the purposes of the bonus round?

yes.

If so, how large does a Barsoomian flyer have to be to count as a large vehicle...?

It should be just large, more then just one-man-flyer. I'd say about 20 cm or more.

Offline warhammergrimace

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
I'm assuming Celts will be OK as barbarians for round 1.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
I'm assuming Celts will be OK as barbarians for round 1.

yes, they will do that.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
Since the Prof is feeling democratic ( :o), I must admit I'm not too into the barbarian theme either.  Not only do I not like it, but it seems much more limiting than the usual bonus theme.  Seems to me that these bonus round themes usually leave some room for interpretation, allowing a painter to work his/her interests in somehow.  This barbarian theme, however, evokes ONLY images of mostly-naked, fur-swathed, sword-armed, mucle-bound men.  Am I failing to appreciate alternative possibilities here?

The zombies theme also doesn't interest me.  However, I can see ways of making it fit into my interests, such as painting zombies from various eras, time periods, styles, etc.  I can basically take my very favorite minis and zombify them.

My concerns having been voiced, I don't think the bonus rounds should be changed though.  No matter what theme is announced, someone will be unhappy with the new theme.  And if you (Prof) change away from Barbarians, someone will be unhappy that he/she doesn't get to paint barbarians.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

This barbarian theme, however, evokes ONLY images of mostly-naked, fur-swathed, sword-armed, mucle-bound men.  Am I failing to appreciate alternative possibilities here?

Er, how about mostly-naked, fur-swathed, sword-armed, muscle-bound women?  ;)

I'm happy with barbarians, because I have an unpainted boxful and it'll help me get my long sidelined cave people project finally underway. Hurrah.

Zombies I loathe with a vengeance. But as I'm in a minority of about, er.. one - I did agree with the Prof that this was a good choice.

VSF isn't my thing either, but I expect I shall have a stab. I mean how hard can rivets be to paint?  ;)

But as I'm probably going to have to officiate for at least a couple of the rounds whilst the Prof is away, I shan't be competing too ferociously for every available bonus point this time. Although I will try to get an entry into every round  :)

But picking bonus themes is always going to be a thankless task. It's just not possible to please all the people all of the time...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
Ok, my democratic mood is over ;) We'll stay by Conan. But I can imagine to extend the Conan round to the evil opponents of Conan or other peoples of the Conan world, so Serpent Men, Black Kingdoms etc. That would give you plenty of possibilities. But it won't be a Warhammer or Tolkien fantasy round, so no elves, orcs, goblins and other rabble :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »
But it won't be a Warhammer or Tolkien fantasy round, so no elves, orcs, goblins and other rabble :)

lol

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
The bonus themes sound fine to me. Coincidentally, I have two different barbarian sets undercoated on my painting table, but that surely doesn't affect my judgement in the slightest.  lol

"Barbarian" apparently means anything human without shirts, firearms or other nancy boy extras. I think we've seen much more limiting themes in the past, such as true historical minis from some particular period and setting. I tried to harvest the previous themes. Didn't attend any of these so forgive me if I there are mixups.

LPL1
5. WWII team
7. Halloween special - be scary!
10. CoC (humans 10, monsters 20, Cthulhu 30)

LPL2
1. Conquistadors (Spanish 10, natives 15, both 20)
5. Mad science (doc & staff 10, doc & robots 15, doc & creatures 20)
10. Back of beyond (foot 10, mounted 15, either+tank 20, either+train 25)

LPL3
1. Germans
5. Cavalry
10. Lost world (natives 10, natives+explorers 20, both+creature 30)

So after all, I think "beefy brutes" is actually quite universal in comparison. Zombies are, well, undead, but can be included in any setting. To me VSF sounds like the most restricted when it comes to the theme. On the other hand, it allows various model types and alien thingies too.

Good enough for me.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »
Ok, my democratic mood is over ;) We'll stay by Conan. But I can imagine to extend the Conan round to the evil opponents of Conan or other peoples of the Conan world, so Serpent Men, Black Kingdoms etc. That would give you plenty of possibilities. But it won't be a Warhammer or Tolkien fantasy round, so no elves, orcs, goblins and other rabble :)

Ah. Just a momentary lapse then. A toady like me need his despot. ;)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
Sounds great!!! Guess I'd better get some paint on these Celts... o_o

Offline warhammergrimace

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »
Already picking out units/squads to paint for future rounds.
Round 1 will be celts
Round 2 7th US Cavalry, dismounted
Round 3 some Perry WotR
Round 4 Cadian
Round 5 Zombie's from Hasslefree and zombie hunters, also from hasslefree
Round 6 a BCW unit of some description
Round 7 Not Sure yet

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
Adding to the confusion....what´s the difference between Victorian Sci-Fi and any late 19th century armed civilians? (...as I see this as the only chance of getting some bonus points....conan and zombies... :( )

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Adding to the confusion....what´s the difference between Victorian Sci-Fi and any late 19th century armed civilians? (...as I see this as the only chance of getting some bonus points....conan and zombies... :( )

None at all if you theme it right. Helps if you add some kind of rivety construction.
So many projects..... so little time.......