Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Civil War Queries Tips & Resources  (Read 102267 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Republican AT
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »
No they are Spanish Army khaki-green with red piping in the photo, which is the correct colour and arm of service colour for infantry and artillery in the Spanish army. Cazadores and Mountain infantry had grass-green piping. I'm not sure if anti-tank guns came under the infantry or artillery in the Spanish army though.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
I believe they resorted under infantry Jim.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
If anything the painting sure is great! 8) 8)

Christopher

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »
They were done by Andrew Taylor. There's more eye candy on his site.  :)

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
Spanish Civil War Queries Tips & Resources
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
Have finally given in to temptation and Empress Miniatures and starting out in 28mm SCW. So hi to everyone and thanks for all the info and ideas discussed on these pages. At the mo i'm looking at skirmish forces for T&T, starting out with CNT Militia and CTV for a Malaga game in 37. I know there has been discuucion on theCTV recently, so apologies if i'm going over old ground, but do any of you have triad suggestions for Italian grey using vallejo paints. And for 37 and Malaga, should i be mixing with older issue khaki as well?

Many thanks guys....newbie

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
Re: Spanish Civil War for Beginners
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
Hi and welcome aboard!  :)

The first units of the CTV arrived in Khaki, which was great for July in Andalucia, but not so good for elsewhere. Photos of their taking of Santander in 1937 show mostly grey uniforms, but some men still have items of Khaki and a mix of Adrian and M1933 helmets.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm sure I read that the CTV units who went to Malaga (1st CCNN División "Dio lo Vuole") were relatively recent arrivals and wore the grey uniform with Adrian helmet, as shown here at Guadalajara a month later;

Hope that helps.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:24:55 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »
Hi

I've been struggling with the same issue. As I understand it the  CTV wore a khaki uniform during their opeing campaigns in the south of Spain, but it proved unsuitable when they were moved north and they start to wear the Italian grey green european uniform.

The problem I've had is the right shade, Bueno shows the khaki as a very light sandy colour similar to what was worn in Abyssinia, but another Spanish book I have shows a much darker Khaki in use. I ended up going for the gray green uniform, but again no two sources seems to show the same shade. The only thing the books seem to agree on is that the WW2 uniform was darker than the WW1 version

I've done a test model that looks about right to me using

VMC 868 Dark Sea Green as the shade
VMC 888 Olive Green as the base, and
a mix of VMC 888 with VMC 884 stone grey for the highlights.

The only doubt I have is the 868 looks too light for a good shade so I'm going to try VMC 896 extra dark green. Hope this helps

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I'd go with the Abyssinia shade of Khaki for 1936, I seem to recall that the initial 'volunteers' thought that was where they were going (or Libya?) when they boarded the ships. Later troops would have worn the WW2 type uniform. I can't help you regarding colours though, but bear in mind that the mixed 'Flecha' divisions may have worn a mix of Spanish and Italian items, or this may have led to Spanish troops being labelled as 'Italians' or vice versa. It doesn't help that contemporary photos are often labelled as 'Nationalist troops' either, this was because neither Italy or Germany would admit they had men there. Personally I'd go for the grey-green myself too.  

The Khaki uniform would've been unsuitable very shortly after their arrival. Once you get away from the coast and into the mountains and highlands it can get quite cold, particularly after September. As late as April I've stopped for a snowball fight on the road between Ronda and Sevilla before changing back into shorts and a t-shirt to finish the journey.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:20:28 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Jonboy

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
Many thanks for the outstanding input and photo's guys, regarding the ctv, i'll go for a predominently green/ grey with a smattering of Khaki and spanish nationalist kit. CTV always seem to be ignored and looking forward to getting some of the Empress miniatures on the table for Malaga.

Cheers guys

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »
You're welcome, there are a few folk on here with a wealth of experience in SCW matters, so feel free to ask away if there's anything else you need help with.
 :)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »
Anthony Beevor wrote a great book on the SCW. There were also two films made about the SCW, one of them narrated by Jim Hale Ernest Hemingway! It might be floating around YouTube somewhere, it's called The Spanish Earth - very much skewed to the Left side of things (as you'd have guessed). There is also a movie in colour called Defends of the Faith, made by Russell Palmer, that evens things up for the Nationalists.

My grandfather actually fought in the SCW for the Nationalists. My mum's side of the family are Galician. Admittedly, they didn't see much up that way and they were happy not to. One of my granddad's cousins was a Colonel (I think?) and gave him leave to go home. He lost one or two brothers in the war. And come to think of it I may not even be here if things had turned out differently...

Also, we have a crucifix that an aunt of mine hid in her sock so the Communists wouldn't discover she was a Christian and kill her (or worse). Pretty serious stuff, eh?

EDIT:
Here's the first part of eight for Defenders of the Faith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hVRTmbP1c
And the first part of The Spanish Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIZOQyP8usA
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:44:56 AM by Christian »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 07:30:49 AM »
Easy mistake to make, but I lack Ernest's gravitas...  :D

I'll second Antony Beevor's 'Battle for Spain' (originally 'The Spanish Civil War' but now revised) it is by far the best background book on the SCW and far more readable than anything else out there.

'Land and Freedom' (Ken Loach dir) is always worth getting hold of, it's kind of like a fictionalised 'Homage to Catalonia'. 'Libertarias' (Vicente Arandas dir.) is also worth watching, but is only available in Spanish. Again both films are somewhat biased towards a particular faction, but watchable all the same. Both can be found on You Tube iirc.

Granada TV did an excellent series on the SCW (which you can also watch six minutes at a time  ::) on you tube). I think this is the first part of the first episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aEG__LZ3g

In fact just search You Tube for 'Spanish Civil War' and you get a wealth of stuff...  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:43:10 AM by Jim Hale »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
If you've got any SCW resources, links or anything else helpful, for anyone who might be starting out in the period, or even for grizzled veterans who think they've seen it all... please feel free to post them here.

Specific SCW queries and anything else, can be dealt with by posting a normal topic on the board.

Vehiculos Blindados de la Guerra Civil - an excellent blog (Spanish) with loads of vehicle photos. Very comphrehensive.

Steelwork Models A German site devoted to SCW modelling.

Stephen Thomas's Balagan Site - Some helpful information on aspects of the war. I can't recommend his organisational details as being correct (imo), with the exception of the ones he gives for the 'Foreign Legion', which is actually mostly correct for all 'regular' units at the start of the war.

Aircraft of the Civil War is great for aircraft aficionados and is quite comphrehensive. The only drawback is that you will need to check the in-service dates for some types.

If your Spanish is up to it (or you have a translation option via Google etc), there's two good forums at Guerra Civil and El Gran Capitán that you can browse at your leisure.

If you will excuse the shameless self-promotion, the organisational table for San Lorenzo is almost identical to the organisation for a Spanish Infantry Regiment at the start of the war and for Nationalist units during it, while that of Aragua is almost the same as that of a Brigada Mixta of the Republic's EPR when it was formed in late 1936. My own blog is heavily orientated towards the SCW (although currently being re-organised), but has a few anachronistic elements thrown in, so don't take it all as gospel. I keep threatening to sit down and do proper organisational details for the SCW, but don't hold your breath for that.    

Finally you can often find some information on the Colonial Board here on LAF for Italian units in Abyssinia that will mostly hold true for the CTV in Spain in many cases.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:14:21 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »
Just a few more helpful sites

http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Infanteria/Ametralla/Ametralla.htm
Good site (in Spanish) on weapons used during the SCW. Also posters and some bios on famous Republicans.

http://www.uniformes.s5.com/ Spanish uniforms.  Site doesn't always load properly but some really nice 'postcards' worth a look.

http://www.requetes.com/banderas.html Flags of the Requete militias ( In Spanish)

http://pares.mcu.es/ArchivoRojo/inicio.do Literally thousands of SCW pictures but somewhat difficult to navigate. Well worth it though because there are some real gems here.

http://www.requetes.com/ Another very good site on Requetes (in Spanish)

http://militarescw.blogspot.com/2008/12/summary-of-major-campaigns-and.html Somewhat basic site on the SCW- and other wars- but a good overview on campaigns etc.

http://www.belliludi.com/historia_aproximacion.html Fantastic site on the Basque armies and campaigns. In Spanish.

http://www.wargames.cat/Dwnload/Vex/ Down-loadable flags for you miniatures: Highly recommended!

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=136 Forum on modelling SCW planes. In DUTCH! Like Flemish so if you need anything translated just let me know. Beautiful models here.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:16:09 PM by WillieB »

Offline eastern barbarian

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
JIm, you can get "Libertarias" with English subtitles, I think subtitles can be downloaded separately. I definitely have seen the film with subtitles.
There is also another one now, called "Wife of an Anarchist", very interesting story (its not only about SCW but after what was happening later as well).