Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690338
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'Tip and Run'  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
'Tip and Run'
« on: May 06, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »

Anybody read this? It seems quite new. My book club sent it to me in one of those annoying "Editor's Choice" things where if you forget to reject it they send you some book you don't want.

This one is right up my street though, so I've decided to keep it, even though I already have a bunch of books on the subject. As far as overviews go Byron Farwell's "The Great War in Africa" is a great read, but doesn't go into much detail. Ross Anderson's "The Forgotten Front" is so dreary and boring that I never finished it, even though it goes into more of the detail I wanted. And he constantly refers to place names that are not on the maps he provides. I hate that! I HATE IT! It makes it impossible to follow what's going on!

So hopefully this one will fall somewhere between the two. I'm already impressed by the fact that it has loads of photos that I have never seen before  (and continues to show the majority of KAR troops with small fezzes and no neck flaps: Figure manufacturers take note! Why always with the neck flaps?).

My favourite photo shows two chaps of the East African Mounted Rifles painting black stripes on to a pony, to disguise it as a zebra. You couldn't make this stuff up!

I'll let you know if its any good when I've read it. Dunno when that will be, though, at the minute I'm attacking the Hejaz with Lawrence in a Rolls Royce armoured car, and sailing the South Seas with Aubrey and Maturin  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: 'Tip and Run'
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I'll let you know if its any good when I've read it.

please let us know, seems to be something for me, too.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
'Tip and Run'
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:49:58 PM »
Send this book to me and I will read it for you.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40:59 AM »

I'll let you know if its any good when I've read it.

still waiting... :mrgreen:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:47:43 AM »
My favourite photo shows two chaps of the East African Mounted Rifles painting black stripes on to a pony, to disguise it as a zebra. You couldn't make this stuff up!

:lol:

My God, that is hillaious. And it could probably work as a ruse bcause the idea is so outrageous! I've got to paint this! Would Brigades WW1 Oz Light Horse work as EAMR?"

And who said there is nothin funny about war?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
'Tip and Run'
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »
Hi Folks, Please checkout this link to the Great War Forum and scroll down to some hyperlinks on reviews for the book:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81429
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
Hi Peder

Yes you can use Aussie LH with Yeomanry intermix as well. Lots of photos showing many variations of uniform and head wear.

Quote from: "hammershield"

:lol:

My God, that is hillaious. And it could probably work as a ruse bcause the idea is so outrageous! I've got to paint this! Would Brigades WW1 Oz Light Horse work as EAMR?"

And who said there is nothin funny about war?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
'Tip and Run'
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »
Sorry, Prof. The Great War in Africa has been on the back burner for several months now (as indeed has painting and gaming in general, to a degree). It's still sitting in my "to read" pile, and I must confess I had clean forgotten about it!

I promise to read it soon!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
'Tip and Run'
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:10:47 AM »
thanks for the links, Helen, that Great War forum is a huge one  :o  all the reviews sound positiv, I think I'm going to order it, need some dose of Africa inspiration again :)