Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 518
Total: 523

Recent

Author Topic: Teutonic Efficiency for Non-Teutons  (Read 7725 times)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Teutonic Efficiency for Non-Teutons
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
Okay, Historicon is coming and I've agreed to run four completely different games. I blame Rich. I also blame a flask full of delicious, delicious Jack Daniels, but that's beside the point.

The games:

1. Zombies of Skeleton Cay: Recycling my Skeleton Cay board from Cold Wars, so that part's done. I should get some new palm tree stands for it, since this game will take place on a banana plantation. Need to paint one Voodoo priestess and at least eight zombies.

2. "And They Made Merry": Pirate raid on a town! This board will be shared with #3, but I still have to build a board with a canal and a sea-wall. In addition, I need to paint a few figures to represent various characters in the town (the Governor, his daughter, the Captain of the Guard, etc.) I figure I'll need about six two-story buildings as well. Oh, damn.

3. Temple of the Eclipse Gods: Conquistadors vs. Aztecs! The town board will be transformed into a decaying temple, which will mean replacing buildings with things like altars, idols, and stands of jungle plants. I have three or four Conquistador characters who need to be painted, eight Aztec suit warriors, a priest, his helper, and a sacrificial victim.

4. Afghanistan in the Great War: The ridiculous theme for Historicon this year is Afghanistan through the Ages. So since the Germans and Turks tried to wheedle the Afghans out of neutrality, I'm going to run a little game where the Central Powers delegation gets attacked. This is the one where I have to paint the most figures, but the board should be pretty straightforward. That will mean painting 8-12 each of Turks, Asien Korps, and British infantry, and if I get particularly clever I may throw some Sikhs in there too.

So last night I glued 59 figures to bases and glued sand down (I do this prior to basecoating--I think it saves time and hassle later down the road.) My goal is to get the figures cleaned and prepped for undercoating tonight. We'll see how it goes.

No pictures, sorry. I feel compelled to do discuss this project publicly because this board has a good way of keeping me honest.
[/list]

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »
When is Historicon? Depending on the date, you might just require American entrepreneurship with a touch of good, old fashioned slave labour. So you MIGHT just manage without Teutonic Efficiency™.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
July 26-29. I'm pretty confident I can do it without subcontracting the jobs out. With the exception of the WWI game, I have fallbacks for most of the things there. Hopefully it won't come to that.

In some respects, I'm actually grateful for the tight deadline because it'll force me to get some work done, rather than spend my time in the workshop, shuffling idly through boxes of unpainted figures or browsing catalogs.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »
I've got Haitian zombies, no surprise, and the Pardulon buildings if you get desperate.  I know how you feel as I've been staring at the poor Tsar and his family and the WW1 Brigade Games Russians for a while now.  Oh, and I still need to do the board.  I'll get them done by July though.

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
Deathwing, I may borrow your zombies. I'll let you know.

Last night I managed to get everyone cleaned and prepped for basecoating. And then I dropped two of the Aztecs and their machuitillihguilti thingies broke off, so they'll be pinned and fixed later.

Basecoating tonight.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:35:31 AM »
Basecoated everything today, repaired the Aztecs, and now am completing gluing the Aztecs together. This means back banners, feather plumes, and shields.

First on the painting block will be the Asien Korps, I think.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:54:16 AM »
Got sick on Saturday--not sick enough to spend the day in bed, but sick enough to have to miss out the all-day family trip out. I got a lot of painting done.

I don't have the right color khaki for the Asien Korps, but did my best with a tawny gold and a brown wash. Also the officers still need their red trim, and I need to do bases and dullcote, but hey! The hard part is done.

But these guys are my new favorites.

Turks! Great khaki uniform, goes well with brown washes. Since I didn't work very hard on them, this means they'll be unstoppable on the table. Minis I lavish with paint and care do crappy, sloppy painted figures do really, really well. I have no idea why.

Not pictured: Skin tones on all the Brits! Huzzah!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Got sick on Saturday--not sick enough to spend the day in bed, but sick enough to have to miss out the all-day family trip out. I got a lot of painting done.

"Sick"... You cunning devil, you. ;) And She Who Must Be Obeyed didn´t catch on you?!? :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
No, seriously! The kids brought home the Bug of the Month from day care, and since I was home taking care of them, I caught it. Short, not too painful, and got me the day off. I even mowed the lawn.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
Last night I did skin tones, boots, and puttees on a dozen Brits. Not bad for 45 minutes of work.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
Are you sure you don't have any Teutonic lineage?  :lol:

Yesterday I only managed two figures and they were already undercoated :cry:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
Mr. Thomas Atkins, Esq., and comrades. I wanted to make a little cricket bat for one of the officers, but that would have defeated my assembly-line process. I decided I was less Teutonic and more Henry Ford Efficient--lots of stuff fast and cheap.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »
Pete, do you just seal your minis once with glosscoat or do you make a second pass on them with dull? Your otherwise excellent minis seem a bit glossy in the pictures.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
I do seal afterwards with dullcote--the high gloss effect is an artifact of using the dipping technique. Dipping is an unsavory practice, shunned by right thinking people, but it works like a charm when you need to get a lot of stuff done quickly. Plus it makes the figures invulnerable to handling, which is also desirable for a convention game.

I'm not showing you close-up shots because these look a lot less nice at the detail level.  :mrgreen:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I do seal afterwards with dullcote--the high gloss effect is an artifact of using the dipping technique. Dipping is an unsavory practice, shunned by right thinking people, but it works like a charm when you need to get a lot of stuff done quickly. Plus it makes the figures invulnerable to handling, which is also desirable for a convention game.

I'm not showing you close-up shots because these look a lot less nice at the detail level.  :mrgreen:

Ah. I think dipping seems to be an excellent thing for certain projects (like massed uruk-hai and WWI turks).

I can't come to grips with that technique, though. It seems like it is vital that you get the right stain or it just turns out a mess. The brand of the stain seems important and that, of course, makes the many tutorials on the subject helpfull only to a certain point  since the availability differs from region to region.

The tinned stuff they sell for the miniature market in some hobby shops must be dilluted with Chateau Lafitte '23 because it is bloody daylight robbery what they are chargin for them.