Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689557
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Darkest Africa  (Read 15286 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Darkest Africa
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
....Daftest Africa ....

I don't even want to start thinking where that's going to lead to.

Sorry, yes I do  lol

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
   Gluteus, I just noticed your little homage to Mr. Davis.

Sad times indeed to be a raiders fan. 

I feel for Buchannon.  He was (is) a great Cane!

Regarding Darkest Africa, I notice a slowdown in new posts, pics of new terrain, and paint jobs.  This saddens and hurts me. 

Just when I am about ready to present pics of my take on Darkest Africa, (Soutwestern Sudan/Congo/Uganda border) in 15mm, I find the board souring, perhaps, on the genre.

That is unacceptable.  I demand DA stuff!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:37:41 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
Such a big baby - saddens and hurts indeed!  lol  If you want more people to get into the genre, post some inspiring stuff to draw them in, and distract them from all the shiny goings-on on the other boards. That's the LAF way.

I'm still plugging away, Smokey, though for various reasons I've had a quiet three weeks or so. Varnishing some stuff tonight. Pics soon.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
LOL!   "..saddens and hurts..." was just for the drama.   :)

Pics soon on my end as well.  My IT expert (daughter) is gonna do them this weekend.

I'm intrigued by this Jewish guy, who was the governor of a small region of the Southern Sudan, that borderd the Congo.  He evidently resisted sieges from the Mahdists, and   collected fauna/flora for the british Museum, and overall having a grand old time.  (until  "rescued", under protest,  by Stanley.)

Interesting fellow.  Kind of a "nerd", it would seem, that flourished under harsh conditions (like a Teddy Roosevelt)

Forget his name, but THAT is where my Darkest Africa will take place (lets me use all my Sudan terrain/figs along with new builds and figures)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:58:16 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
Eduard Schnitzer AKA Emin Pasha?

Peters set out to rescue him too. Ran a game about it a few whiles ago, though Emin Pasha himself wasn't involved in it. Might interest you...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7459.0

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »
That's him, Emin Pasha!   Fun story.

Nice game, thanks a lot for posting it!   ;)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
I'm intrigued by this Jewish guy, who ... resisted sieges from the Mahdists...

For some reason, I read this as "... resisted sieges from the Methodists..." and now I have an image of Welsh male voice choirs coming and singing in annoying fashion at this Jewish guy who just wants to look at his exotic specimens...  o_o

I'm sorry I'll shut up now, just wanted to share the somewhat surreal image.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
I've for a long time got a giggle out of the fact that my spell checker always tries to turn Mahdists into Methodists.

Who knew that our computer software had a secret built-in evangelizing missionary agenda?  lol

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
For some reason, I read this as "... resisted sieges from the Methodists..." and now I have an image of Welsh male voice choirs coming and singing in annoying fashion at this Jewish guy who just wants to look at his exotic specimens...  o_o

I'm sorry I'll shut up now, just wanted to share the somewhat surreal image.

And Gluteus Max wonders where the Daftest bit comes in...  ;)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
  Methodist seiges. They use potlock dinner items to great effect in their ballista.  "Duck, it's the three bean salad!"

:D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
Oooh, you must have different sorts of Methodists where you live. Three bean salad sounds wildly exciting! Mostly, ours would be offering you a choice of ham sandwiches, or meat paste sandwiches. With horribly weak tea. But then, most of the Methodists where I was brought up were about 80, the last interesting thing that had happened to most of them was the end of rationing in 1948.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
Oooh, you must have different sorts of Methodists where you live. Three bean salad sounds wildly exciting! Mostly, ours would be offering you a choice of ham sandwiches, or meat paste sandwiches. With horribly weak tea. But then, most of the Methodists where I was brought up were about 80, the last interesting thing that had happened to most of them was the end of rationing in 1948.

You need to find the cool Methodists.  They let me play Hendrix (I was  in the Church band, guitar) for our 4th of July service!  (our minister did have to tell the old people that Jimi was a former US paratrooper, and relatively  patriotic besides the drugs, anti Vietnam and other references :D)

And I got to pick and play the collection plate song  ("Help Me" by Sonny Boy Williams, I thought it appropriate  :) )

Yes, the older folks always mumbled something about the "Hippy Band" they had to endure during services.  LOL!  I am mistaken for a cop often, that's how "hippy" I look. 

We had GREAT potlucks. Big Mexican influence, lots of tamales, and an even bigger "Good Ol' Boy" influence, which meant plenty of smoked pig! 

They did get rather old, and now I go to that church, and a "nonconventional" church, where the minister is an Afghan War vet, and a Billy idol impersonater on the side (you should see him do "White Wedding" at church marraiges)  This church ("The Church of The Vineyard") also has monthly sidewalk guns, ammo and fishing equiptment sales.  Yeah boy!!!!!

LOL!  "The end of rationing..."    lol THAT is some funny stuff! 

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
You need to find the cool Methodists.  They let me play Hendrix (I was  in the Church band, guitar) for our 4th of July service! 

lol  Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart sneaks the sheet music into church for Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida"  ;)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
I think I'd just call it 'VSF', myself... :D it's not all rivets, you know, you can get a bit of whimsy in there too.

Hmm, 'Rivets and Whimsy'... where's that thought going I wonder?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
Yeah, you're probably right...

I was hoping it was going towards a sort of VSF 'Odd Couple' where 'Rivets' McGurk, an irrascible aeronef mechanic (probably played by Robbie Coltraine c1987), was thrown into a tangled love-hate relationship with Miss Whimsabella Pootling, the posh daughter of the man who fired him (probably played by Felicity Kendal, c1972), with corsets, flying goggles and big spanners.

But you're right, it so isn't.