Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 528
Total: 533

Recent

Author Topic: DBA(or HotT) yes or no?  (Read 7366 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
DBA(or HotT) yes or no?
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
I admit I actually got the HotT rulebook a couple years ago (no small feet in the USA at that time, and cost an arm and a leg (and not the kind of arm you can buy on ebay for a couple pounds…never mind), and didn’t really get it (at all).  I traded it off to someone and sort of forgot about it.

Still, DBA (and HotT) is still a game of interest to me.  I really love the idea of building and painting all these compact little armies and having masses of bases of units for all different time periods…and them only taking up a small case or storage area.  I also like the idea of all the diverse models (I do like 15mm) I’ll be able to experiment with that I would likely never get for any other reason.  Finally, the idea of finally getting into some historical battles (and all the research that will go along with that) intrigues me.

However, whenever I see pictures of the game actually being played, it seems that you just line your units up in a straight line, your opponent does the same, and you push them together and fight.  Whoever rolls best wins.

This is one of the things that turned me off to many miniature games (not that my list of games learned and played is very massive), and why I play things that have more tactics (IMHO) like the board game Battlelore.

So do I have it all wrong?  I’d love to be sold on why DBA is really worth getting into.  The bonus of a large fan base to play with isn’t going to be much use to me here in the USA where everything that isn’t Warhammer isn’t played by anyone and I have to recruit people myself.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: DBA(or HotT) yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »
I play both DBA and HOtT. Most of the battles I have played may start off with both armies facing off, but quickly degenerate into manuvering for advantage.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
HotT and DBA contain a lot of subtlety that becomes apparent the more you play. I used to have several 28mm HotT armies, designing them is very addictive. With your ingenuity and abilities you'd have a whale of a time :D
Don't let the 'public' face of DBX players put you off what are some excellent games.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
Do people just play whatever army against whatever army, or do they generally pick a historical battle or time period and pit appropriate forces against each other?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
When we play, we play whatever. I have a small Macedonian army that I am going to add some fantasy elements to at some point for HotT.

The way we look at it is, if no one cares in our friendly games what you play, just play it.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
HotT and DBA contain a lot of subtlety that becomes apparent the more you play. I used to have several 28mm HotT armies, designing them is very addictive. With your ingenuity and abilities you'd have a whale of a time :D
Don't let the 'public' face of DBX players put you off what are some excellent games.
I can only echo that, particularly for HotT.  The possible armies are almost endless, depending on how far you personally extend "fantasy" to.  For example, I have a Baywatch army!

Most years I go to the Berkeley HotT tournament in the UK.  I have had many hugely enjoyable games there, with a great diversity of armies.  Player attitude also goes a long way, and HotT certainly seems to be a lot less competative than alot of DBx games, probably because fantasy games attract a slightly different group to DBA and (especially) DBM.

Play-wise, the rules (HotT/DBA) are far more subtle than initially appears, although they do slightly suffer from being a bit "wordy".  Pretty straight-forward to learn, but mastering may take much longer young Skywalker.  :D
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
I have a Baywatch army!

:o I'm speachless!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
I'm waiting for Ganesha Games, Song of Hordes and Armies, the massed combat version of their ever expanding Song of...Universe. If it turns out like any of their other games, I'm in.
-J

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
I'm waiting for Ganesha Games, Song of Hordes and Armies, the massed combat version of their ever expanding Song of...Universe. If it turns out like any of their other games, I'm in.
-J

They do put out good stuff and I'm a fan (I even get a "special thanks" nod in some of thier rule books :)...but waiting...there's the thing.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
I bought the HotT rules a few years back. It's a shame that the production values are < mid 1970s rpg's. Also I think the rules assume a knowledge of Dba.  For a game with zero marketing it seems to have a solid following.

Do people just play whatever army against whatever army,
Not sure about DBA but this is the single best feature of HotT imo. Anything vs Anything.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
Also I think the rules assume a knowledge of Dba.  For a game with zero marketing it seems to have a solid following.

I'm embarassed to say that I read about half of the book and I just wasn't getting it.  I figured it just wasn't for me and traded it for something else (although I can't remember what?).  I often wish I would have toughed my way through the rules and made a real effort to understand how to play...but so many other games, so little time...

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 04:31:39 AM »
Although HOtT & DBA have very much the same play concept there are many rules that run contrary to each other from DBA to HOtT. Some times I look for a rule in one & find I was thinking of a rule from the other rules. You can match up armies from historical or from the same fantasy story line or just play anything vs anything. This is done a lot in HOtT & armies are point based. In DBA the army size is standard & the recomend using historical match ups, or sticking to the same army book. Although I have played some pretty interesting non-historical matches. We also do mini campaigns with 6 to 8 historical opponents & kind of round-robin the matches.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
I would give HOTT another try. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.
The best thing to do is sit down and play through a game.
I usually try and build matched armies that can play against each other and maybe share a stronghold.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
hang in there. I bought the book 11 years ago and have never looked back. I add at least one new HoTT army to my collection every year. ;D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
I was thinking about it today.  Perhaps I could get enough people interested in it to start some sort of monthly group at least...of course, I'm probably kidding myself.  I don't think I've EVER seen anyone besides myself (and the flames of war guys) messing with 15mm.  Here in (at least my portion) the USA getting people to try (let allone actually invest time and money) a miniature game that isn't 40K is nearly impossible...and finding enthusiasts is eveh HARDER than impossible.