Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: gearing up for our GSF campaign (pics)  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
gearing up for our GSF campaign (pics)
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »
We (some TSA-members) are gearing up to start a GSF (Georgian SF...  ;) ) campaign around the colonization of Earth's twin planet Minerva.  The basic idea is to be able to field different WWI forces against most anything else.  Difficult to explain, but as we are still writing up the background & rules, this sneek preview of our testpage might give you an idea:

The reason behind this is that we want to start a (nearly) instant 28mm campaign with painted armies available, be it from any historical period (up to WWI) to fantasy and SF.  We picked WWI (hence GSF) since it is one of the first "modern" wars and because our earthlings might not only be confronted with any type of civilization (up to 19th C-ish), but also more advanced ones, so (nearly) ANY type of army might step in...  Hec, even 25's since Minerva not only houses  creatures that (on Earth) are deemed mythological, but also "human" races 10% smaller than us... lol
Since we have plenty of armies to chose from, it is not yet certain which ones the colonizing forces will encounter, but most clubmembers will be able to step in, commanding their own figures!

The first race encountered on Minerva are the d'Worffs and their civilization is a mix of (sort of Renaissance) over steampunk to Scrunts (the Imperial legions).  It is quite a challenge to balance all the weapons, but that's what I have Willie B for  lol.

This is a typical d'Worff transport (a steam driven airship with a smoothbore bowgun and soldiers are armed with automatic breechloaders, the gasbags are made from an organic material found only on Minerva...  ;)).

We'll keep you posted!

Rudi
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:34:15 AM by Helen Bachaus »
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: gearing up for our GSF campaign (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
What a fantastic idea, i'm looking forward to folling this  :D

Keith  :?

Offline Fugazi

• Librarian
  • "Wargaming is part of the male life cycle."
    • Team for historical simulations
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
YEAH, a very great idea.  :-* :D
Our team does something similar like this (VSF, Steampunk) and we "fight and observe" for several years on the Venus, Mars and other (imaginated) worlds like New-Bismarck-Land, Kolchis etc.
Meanwhile, there are more and more VSF games and interested parties to find.
It does indeed combine a lot of fun to build new troops and create new worlds.  :)

Please take a look at (Geudens, you know it  ;) )
http://www.ths-wargames.de/

See you at Crisis 2010!!!!!!!!

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »
a GSF (Georgian SF...  ;) ) campaign

erm... Georgian covers 1714–1830  ;)

Offline Fugazi

• Librarian
  • "Wargaming is part of the male life cycle."
    • Team for historical simulations
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »
erm... Georgian covers 1714–1830  ;)

?????!!!!!!!!
It's all fine with the title "GSF - Georgian Science Fiction" in the period of WW1.

King Georg V., 1910 – 1936 (House of Windsor)

What/who you mean are the Kings named Georg from the house of hanover.

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
anevilgiraffe is right, I'm afraid: in British English, "Georgian" is the period before "Victorian" (poor old William IV gets ignored) - it doesn't apply to the 20th century Georges.  Nor is the present period "Elizabethan", despite the best efforts of Nigel Molesworth.  "Edwardian" (VII, not VIII) is the last period of British history to be named after a monarch.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:02:25 AM by Steve F »
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »
anevilgiraffe is right, I'm afraid: in British English, "Georgian" is the period before "Victorian" (poor old William IV gets ignored) - it doesn't apply to the 20th century Georges.  Nor is the present period "Elizabethan", despite the best efforts of Nigel Molesworth.  "Edwardian" (VII, not VIII) is the last period of British history to be named after a monarch.

OK, guys, thx for the insight.  Probably must call it LESF then (Late Edwardian SF), must talk to my brethern in arms.  We might go for "GW SF" (Great War SF), but who knows what will happen then, hé?...  lol lol lol

Rudi
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:12:50 AM by Geudens »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
This is the nearest we have to Georgian SF, I guess:

"What will become of the Baron?" 

VSF and WWISF are postively dull by comparison. :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
I think it's a bit unfair of Brits to tell Dutchmen* that they can't call their game 'GSF' when we've insisted they call their games set 20 years earlier 'VSF'. By the way, English chaps, you can't claim 'Edward VII' or 'Edward VIII' as 'British' monarchs, they're English monarchs. In a British context, they are Edward I and Edward II of Great Britain and Ireland; Edward I-VI (Longshanks through to Tudor) were only kings of England (see the problem the Scots have with kings called James). Which also ignores the Saxon Edwards eg The Confessor, but that's another whole bunch of messiness.

Geudens, you have my full support if you want to stick to GSF... but frankly I'd call it 'Weird World War One' and have done with the whole convention of naming periods after British (or indeed English) monarchs. It's too complicated...

*or even Belgians
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:23:22 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  We'll go voor GWSF (Great War SF), for the joke of it alone...  ;) :D  This way it won't be linked to that lump of soil that is anchored off our Belgian coast  :D.  Best steer clear of it: rumours go some decades ago they invented something called "wargaming" there  :D ;)Weird that is, to say the least...   lol lol lol lol

Rudi

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
I think it's a bit unfair of Brits to tell Dutchmen* that they can't call their game 'GSF' when we've insisted they call their games set 20 years earlier 'VSF'.

no one is insisting on anything... the Dutch, or Belgians, are free to call that period whatever they like, however Georgian as an era doesn't apply in that context... and the whole Edward thing is irrelevant as Edwardian doesn't apply to them anymore than Georgian applies to George V.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
I love the entire idea, GWSF opens up so many new areas for encounters.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
no one is insisting on anything...

Not so sure about that. Not certain that the term 'Leopoldian Science Fiction' ever gets bandied about much, or that anyone on this board would understand it if it did. 'VSF' is what it's called, and that's that, I reckon.

the Dutch, or Belgians, are free to call that period whatever they like...

Yes, they can call it 'GSF' if they want, especially if they put a winking smiley in their first post as Geudens did, to let everyone know that they know 'really' that it isn't 'Georgian' in the sense of English furniture...

... however Georgian as an era doesn't apply in that context...

Oh, I thought you just said they could call it what they like. Did you mean, 'they can call it what they like, except Georgian, because that word only does and ever will apply to the period 1714-1830'? Or, can they call it 'Georgian'?

After all, 'Georgian' has at least two geographical meanings, one as pertaining to a south-western state of the USA, the other to a former Soviet Republic on the Black Sea. Neither of these refers in any way to the novels of Jayne Austin or Adam fireplaces... and yet, 'Georgian'.

...and the whole Edward thing is irrelevant as Edwardian doesn't apply to them anymore than Georgian applies to George V.

Actually, 'Edwardian' applies to Edward VII, who reigned after Victoria, as Steve F pointed out above.

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
Strictly speaking, Orc old chap, Edward VII was the ninth King of England called Edward (Scots may chafe at Anglocentric numbering but no-one seem to challenge the Normans lol).  Names and titles are just matters of convention.  People can call things what they like - it just makes it harder for other people to understand them if they are too unconventional.

Anyway, "GWSF" is much funnier.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Not so sure about that. Not certain that the term 'Leopoldian Science Fiction' ever gets bandied about much, or that anyone on this board would understand it if it did. 'VSF' is what it's called, and that's that, I reckon.

why not? Victorian as an era is essentially British... nothing is more annoying when you see some Victorian houses in 28mm and find that they're American clapboard - which isn't an example o anything Victorian other than coinciding with the period... I'd have suggested LSF if I had the foggiest about Dutch or Belgian kings and queens...

as for VSF being what it's called - hey it's the genre's name, so shoot me... GSF, Georgian SF? ok, as has been shown, would work, but it's Nappies with electroguns and Regency steam tanks if your following convention...

Oh, I thought you just said they could call it what they like. Did you mean, 'they can call it what they like, except Georgian, because that word only does and ever will apply to the period 1714-1830'? Or, can they call it 'Georgian'?

because, as you well know, Georgian is a recognised historical era... yes, other things can be Georgian, but they're not era's either (word to the wise, don't try sucking on the hole in a VW Polo)

After all, 'Georgian' has at least two geographical meanings, one as pertaining to a south-western state of the USA, the other to a former Soviet Republic on the Black Sea. Neither of these refers in any way to the novels of Jayne Austin or Adam fireplaces... and yet, 'Georgian'.

oh stop it ::)

Actually, 'Edwardian' applies to Edward VII, who reigned after Victoria, as Steve F pointed out above.

erm... yep, not my point though - you were going on about how you should ignore us because Edward the so and so wasn't really...