Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guide to Ancients (for idiots)?  (Read 5657 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Guide to Ancients (for idiots)?
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »
This question will make me look like an idiot...but what can I say, I slept through world history in high school.

Whenever I look at the miniatures of people that are into Ancients, my mind is just boggled by the sheer volume of armies.

How the hell does one even know where to start?  Is there some sort of "idiots guide" to ancients’ armies, or really interesting wars?

For that matter, what is the definition of "ancients".  If I'm looking at DBA, for example (because I actually found a few people in the area who play) how the hell do I even know where to start?  I like the look of the crusades...is that "ancients"?  I also get a kick out of Vikings...are those ancients?  What "army" would that be?

How does someone get into ancients quick fast without reading a ton of history books?
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
Re: Guide to Ancients (for idiots)?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
For me, ancients is before about 400AD. After that you are into the medieval period (at least in Britain, where I live), but for many rules writers, ancients covers 3000BC to 1485AD, so Vikings would come under the ancients heading. As far as where to start, I would say that you should consider your interests and go from there. Have you seen a film that you thought was cool and wanted to game? You could pick your army based on that, or on a book you have read and enjoyed. Alternatively, has anything piqued your interest about any ancient army along the way? Have you seen figures that you particularly liked? If so, go with them to start with. There is so much choice and there are so many different armies that it is impossible to say what would suit or even where to start. That said, consider what type of army you might like to use. Do you like shieldwalls/infantry heavy armies (Vikings or Greeks might suit)? Do you like fast moving light horse (Huns or Mongols)? For a more balanced army you might like the Romans, or if you like elephants then there are various armies that use them. Once you have got started and begin reading the histories, you will find it easier to pick your next army or armies because you will start to find things that interest you more.

If you are going to play DBA then things are easier, because the armies are small and easy to paint. That means you can collect several easily. You might find it useful to find out what your potential opponents are using and pick your armies from the enemies of those peoples' armies. That narrows down your choices a lot and might make it easier for you. You may also find the Fanaticus website useful. It is the standard repository of all things DBA and should provide some food for thought.
http://fanaticus.org/DBA/index.html

Hope this helps,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
Just randomly browsing Fanaticus, because it's been a while and writing the previous post reminded me, and came across this article:
http://fanaticus.org/DBA/guides/firstarmy.html
It covers how to pick your first DBA army but is applicable to other rules too. There are a whole pile of other articles in the Tips and Guides section that you might find useful to read too.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
What I'd do is pick an army that looks interesting from WAB, then buy an Osprey on it, after reading that you will find out what other books would be relevent and read some of those.

Research is the key.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »
These are good starting points.  I'm off to read that article and poke around that forum.

Also, are all the armies in DBA set in the rule book lists?  In other words, I don't have to "build" my army, I just pick one and it tells me the army composition?

WAB= Warhammer Ancient Battles?

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »
Another way with yet another (and in my opinion much better that DBA or WAB) set of rules Impetus or its simpler FREE version Basic Impetus is to go to its website where you can not only download the rules but pages and pages of army lists from early chariot armies through to renaisssance armies.

The Impetus Website is here:http://www.dadiepiombo.com/impetus2.html

The Basic Impetus rules and the army lists are here: http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basic2.html

You can find all sorts of armies here,  There is also a forum for both Impetus and Basic Impetus here: http://impetus.forumsland.com/

As for ancient and medieval history the most painless way of getting into it is by means of the Penguin Atlas of Ancient History and its successor of Medieval History
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Penguin-Atlas-Ancient-History/dp/0140513485/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265568505&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Penguin-Atlas-Medieval-History/dp/0140512497/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265568664&sr=1-1

These are both super books with simple maps on every second page - one following on from the last - with a page of historical infomation about the period of the map on alternate pages.  The books are cheap, cheerful and  excellent introductions to European and Near Eastern history.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
Also, are all the armies in DBA set in the rule book lists?  In other words, I don't have to "build" my army, I just pick one and it tells me the army composition?
Correct, just choose your army from the lists in the back of the rule book and it tells you all the stands you need to build. Sometimes there is some interpretation needed because it does not make it clear which specific troop types the stands are modelling, but many companies sell army packs that give you the right mix of figures, so that makes life much easier. Checking the army descriptions on the Fanaticus site can help with this too.

WAB= Warhammer Ancient Battles?
Correct.

With regard to 1ngram's post, I would also recommend Basic Impetus over DBA, but you are probably better off collecting figures for what you know you have opponents for, so DBA is a better option.

Cheers,
Ruarigh

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
With regard to 1ngram's post, I would also recommend Basic Impetus over DBA, but you are probably better off collecting figures for what you know you have opponents for, so DBA is a better option.

Just found there is a group of 6 guys int he area that "play" DBA.  Apparently they haven't in a while, but they each own multiple armies...all they need is a bit of fresh blood like me to get them motivated again  ;)...of course, I have to see if I can stand them first.  That's often the 2nd biggest problem with finding a group, it's hard enough to find guys, but guys who you want to be around regularily is just as hard.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
On the other hand, they'll maybe be so grateful for you coming along that they'll be happy to lend you their armies (and tactical advice) in order that you can beat their mates.

So even if in a few weeks you find out that they all smell, or they think you're really boring, or whatever, you'll have hopefully gotten a few weeks of gaming without having to shell out for a new army, when you're not really sure what you want anyway.

Of course, best result is if they do that but you're all both fragrant and interesting, you find out more about ancient armies from them and any other research you do, and have many happy years to come as a gaming group  ;)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
Of course, best result is if they do that but you're all both fragrant and interesting

You mean I can hope for both!? :o

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
DBA, I hate that game, I find it stale and boring.

But then I am a fantasy gamer really, only historical research I do is FOR my fantasy games.  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »
I wonder if there is a 'Guide to Idiots for Ancients'. I have one of elderly relations who could do with a handbook like that.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
I wonder if there is a 'Guide to Idiots for Ancients'. I have one of elderly relations who could do with a handbook like that.

lol

Quoted for truth. And giggles.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
What you need is this

Seriously though, have you looked at the DBM army lists. They are much more informative and contain a lot of useful info for a non DBM player.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"