Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 45A At GottaCon  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
45A At GottaCon
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
Last Saturday (Feb 6th) I GM'd a five-player game of 45A at our local "big" gaming convention, GottaCon.

Non-GW miniatures gaming was quite pathetically under-represented; there was a weekend-long Warspammer tourney (two, really, one WFB and one 40K) but only about four other miniatures events all damned weekend.

This did mean that, statistically, Rattrap Productions rules were about 20% of the non-GW miniature gaming at GottaCon. This sounds much, much more impressive than the reality would indicate. Isn't lying with statistics fun?  lol

We only had one totally new player; one guy had played only once before (another of my games at a smaller local mini-con last fall) and the other three had all played 45A before more than once.

The scenario was my own convention scenario, which started life as Rattrap's Quest for La Calavera Negra de la Luna (480 Kb PDF), but has subsequently mutated almost out of all recognition! It's still basically a race through a trackless jungle and into a ruined Lost City for a Great Treasure, but beyond the basic concept, not much is left of Rich's original scenario.

It was a good game, overall; the new people enjoyed it and didn't get lost; the Great Treasure was captured by a man with no usable arms who kicked it off the table edge for the win; the pterodactyls didn't eat anyone this time, but neither of them died either.

I'm (once again) tweaking and editing the scenario; a couple of the characters will be re-imagined slightly (and a few inspired suggestions from Saturday's players will be incorporated!). I'll be running the scenario again at Vancouver's (genuinely big!) Trumpeter Salute convention in mid-March, and at some point I'll get the scenario published as PDF for use and inspiration by anyone.

There's a few photos I haven't pulled off my camera yet, too.

(edit to fix the link formatting...)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:43:43 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: 45A At GottaCon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
SWEET!

I'll be more verbose in a bit when I have a minute.  lol
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
Okay, some additional comments. It's great hearing that you have made my initial scenario, your own. That is how I intended it. The scenarios that I write and put out, are starting points for you to develop your own ideas. Pull from this one and that and you get a new creation that plays uniquely unto itself.

And wow, we made up 20% of the non-GW games. That's awesome.  :?

Finally, if you can get at least one new person to give the game a try, that is an unqualified success in my book.

Can't wait to see the few pictures you did take.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
And wow, we made up 20% of the non-GW games. That's awesome.  :?

25%, actually. Two western skirmish games (both GW's LotOW) and one Napoleonics game using the new Black Powder rules; there were a few other minis games on the timetable that didn't happen for lack of interest. Meh.

Nevertheless, a photo:

Larger & More Notes on Flickr.

The big ruins in the foreground are from my recent speed-built ruins.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
Nice use of the CD terrain method. I love them for making things quick and easy to set up and store.