Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Colours for WW1 British and germans  (Read 6171 times)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Colours for WW1 British and germans
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
Hi,
I've been a lurker for some time and finally joined the forums. I've got a load of Renegade early war Brits and Germans.
Can anyone tell me suitable paint colours to use for the uniforms.I've got access to GW stuff, some foundry and a small amount of Model Master  paints. In particular I'm having difficulty deciding on the standard German uniform.
If you can help please keep the colours simple as I'm not a great artist.Love the forums by the way. :love:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
Welcome! I've got the Renegade Early Brits, and would love a color conversion from Humbrol to Something Sensible as well. So I'm glad you asked this question. I suppose tonight I could list the colors they recommend.

Nice minis, aren't they?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
Hi there, General M@yhem. Welcome aboard.

I'm painting my 1914 Great War Germans at the minute, and it's something of a new world to me, too. My sources with colour plates are divided into two camps which don't agree. The Ospreys all show the Germans clad head to foot in a colour that is just pure grey. Two other books I have (one which actually shows a photo of a uniform, though it is in such good condition that it surely must be a reproduction) show plain grey trousers but with a jacket of greenish-grey.

Faced with this impasse I have gone with the one that I think looks cooler: The greenish-grey.

To make this colour I mixed GW Catachan Green with a little bit of Regal Blue and Codex Grey. For the shadows a touch of black, for the highlights just more Codex Grey in the mix.

The end result resembles the colour in the pictures pretty well. They're not quite finished yet, but I'll put up some pics when they are. For the trousers I just used the various GW greys straight out of the pot, or with a little black for the shadows.

(My Boche will be fighting Les Pantalons Rouges, so I can't really help you out with the colours for Tommies. Ain't painted any Western Front ones, myself.)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
Brits

Foundry - Moss, Raw Linen and Phlegm Green and some brown like Spearshaft

GW - Camo green, desert yellow and commando khaki

Germans

Foundry - Sky Blue, (but not really a goo one), Red Bright

GW - no idea

the best one - Vallejo Field Blue

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Thanks, Professor! I have a brown which should work, then.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
Thanks for getting back so quickly.
@Pete yes they're lovely models
@Plynkes thanks for the advice .I love your battle reports-really make me laugh.
@ prof witcheimer-thanks, looks like I'll have to go and find some vallejo paints!
Any other advice will be muchly appreciated and I'd love to see your Germans when you finish them Plynkes.

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:59:14 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

I'm painting my 1914 Great War Germans at the minute, and it's something of a new world to me, too. My sources with colour plates are divided into two camps which don't agree. The Ospreys all show the Germans clad head to foot in a colour that is just pure grey. Two other books I have (one which actually shows a photo of a uniform, though it is in such good condition that it surely must be a reproduction) show plain grey trousers but with a jacket of greenish-grey.

Faced with this impasse I have gone with the one that I think looks cooler: The greenish-grey.

the two are Ok :
I have a magazine with German uniforms for the WWI :

In 1914 the uniform is full field grey (feldgrau) I use the Tamiya one for the WWII early Ferman uniforms.

In 1915-1916, the uniform is simplified and the troussers are blue grey and the vest feldgrau.

I put some i did here :

A sergeant :

A soldier :

A officer
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »
Nice one, Poulppy. Thanks for clearing that point up for me.

General M@yhem, thanks for the kind words about my silly battle reports. I wouldn't go so far as to call what I said "advice." It's merely "what I'm doing." It remains to be seen whether it is worth copying or not.

We shall see!  :)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 09:22:52 AM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"

Germans

Foundry - Sky Blue, (but not really a goo one), Red Bright

??? Are you sure? Soundsmore like the old pre-war uniform. Ther germans used grey (in various shades) for several years when the war started.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:58:13 AM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
??? Are you sure? Soundsmore like the old pre-war uniform. Ther germans used grey (in various shades) for several years when the war started.

Not sure at all, that blue isn't a really right one but Foundry doesnt have a greyish blue in its range. That's why I would say, take the Sky blue and try it with blue/grey mix. And how said, Vallejo Field Blue would work best in my opinion.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »
Sure you don't mean storm blue?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »
..hmmm...err...hmm...no, not sure :mrgreen: have to take a look at my colors today afternoon

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

To make this colour I mixed GW Catachan Green with a little bit of Regal Blue and Codex Grey. For the shadows a touch of black, for the highlights just more Codex Grey in the mix.

The end result resembles the colour in the pictures pretty well. They're not quite finished yet, but I'll put up some pics when they are. For the trousers I just used the various GW greys straight out of the pot, or with a little black for the shadows.

(My Boche will be fighting Les Pantalons Rouges, so I can't really help you out with the colours for Tommies. Ain't painted any Western Front ones, myself.)

How are you getting on with those figs? Have you got any to show yet? :?:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:37 PM »
Yes, first batch was finished about a week ago. What with one thing and another haven't got around to taking pics yet, though. Unfortunately in about two minutes I'm leaving for continental Europe for a week or so. I'll post some pictures when I return.

Sorry about that.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
Hello, back from my trip and finally got the photo for you. Turned out okay, I think, though probably could do with another layer of Dullcote.

I'm right glad I put the colours I used in this post, as I'm now painting some more, and had completely forgotten what I used. I really must remember to write these kind of things down somewhere.

Though you weren't asking about them, I might as well show you my French too:

Sorry they're a bit fuzzy, can't seem to get the hang of this camera thing.