Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:02:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690680
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Malayan Insurgency Figures  (Read 11262 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm Malayan Insurgency Figures
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
Dave from Britannia/Inkerman provided some suggestions as to suitable organisation for the British and MNLA:

No problem, Its a bit of a guessing game for each side as invidual british units tended to use what they felt suited thier needs . The official strength of a section was 10 men , but could be much lower.

British Platoon

Platoon Commander with  M2 carbine
Platoon SGT With SMG / Shotgun or Jungle carbine
Radio operator with Jungle carbine
Private with jungle carbine
 1 to 4  Iban Trackers, [ split between sections if they deploy seperate from the platoon]

3 x sections each of
Section commander with M2 carbine
Point scout with shotgun
Radio operator with jungle carbine [ only has  radio if on a patrol independant of the platoon]
1 x 2 man Bren gun team
5 x men with  jungle carbines or inc  variuos types of smg or shotgun

Communist terrorists

They operated on a similar orginisation to the british but not as rigid and mostly without radios, Units could be anything from 10 - 50 or more men split into platoons and sections. However SMGs were in short supply so it was mainly lee enfield rifles and shotguns, although occasionally you would  find more than 1 bren gun in a section.

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
If you wish to read a great book on the subject in the earlier years of the emergency then Arthur Campbell's "Jungle Green" is the book to read. I found this book in a second hand book store for $25 so decided on a hunch to buy it.

The book focuses on a sub unit of the Suffok Regiment and the personnel experiences of the author being a company commander, but pays tribute throughout the book on the British soldier and the challenges that afront him.

This is a true account with names changes etc and the struggle over a three year period in bringing Liew Kon Kim nicknamed 'The Bearded Wonder' and his force to an end.

I couldn't put the book down and read the account in a day - No painting was achieved, but Dave of Britannia/Inkerman has designed the range quite well.

Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
I like to express my thanks to Carlos for recommending "The Planter's Wife" as I found the movie quite good with Jack Hawkins. Just watched "Seventh Dawn" an again after some thirty plus years on not seeing the movie it was very good and very much recommended for the conflict. William Holden in his young age gives a great performance. Interestingly, is the Damiler scout car with the dustbin turret that were used in the emergency alongside the CT15A. Another version of the damiler scout car later  was fitted with a ferret turret.

This link below provides the plans for both versions:

http://www.warwheels.net/images/ACJfinal13.pdf

A couple more photos of amoured scout cars and CT15A:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timjlittle/tags/malayanemergency/

My miniatures arrived the other day and they are a good 28 mm miniature with loads of detail. Dave has designed a lovely range so far with more to follow. The CTs are slightly smaller in size which is great and a credit to Dave plus I love the two CTs with the double barrel shots guns. I'm looking forward in seeing the Plantation owner and female CTs when they are released - There will be some buildings too.

I'll have paint some of the miniatures an I'll show them here in a few weeks.

Helen

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »
My pleasure Helen, I'm fond of that film. Always wanted my very own Bren gun for the verandah.

Look forward to seeing the minis painted, you did a fantastic job on Mike Broadbent's SAS so if anyone can lift the Inkerman figures, I suspect it's you.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo