Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689775
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early West (1830's) - Picture heavy  (Read 16579 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Early West (1830's) - Picture heavy
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »
Cheers. Aye, I did read that - and I recon you're onto something. The headgear might need a bit of tweaking, and they may need to be given sword belts, but otherwise I recon they'd work a treat!

Having looked at the first corps volunteer casualties, they appear to be in 'civvy' kit, so I may well add some of those to my fillibusters... and if it turns out that they aren't, I guess I just started collecting stuff for the mex-Am war a year earlier than I'd planned!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
I like the standard, that CF figure works well carrying the flag. Nice work on the blanket coat too :)
Be careful with the 1st Corps Cape Wars figures, they are small 28s and might be on the short side (if you are bothered about such things).
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the warning & compliments Nick - I had assumed that the cape wars figures would be the same size as the Mexican-American war & ACW figures? I've got some M-A Mountain Men & some ACW dismounted cavalry and they fit in well with the Likes of Foundry, Artizan & of course Boothill ;). If the cape wars figures are infact the same size as their Sci-Fi range, then I'll definatley have to pass...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 09:35:33 AM »
Yeah I am thinking the hats might need some reworking also, the texans were supposed to have forage caps and fully plumed 1812 style helmet.
but being Texans I am sure there were all sorts of head gear.
And I was wondering about there sizw becase I was also looking at useing some of the boars and was wondering if they might be small now.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
Those were awesome and answered all My questions as to weather all those lines would fit together.
Thanks
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »
VERY IMPRESSIVE...cool minis don't necessarily equate to award winning paint jobs. I find your work inspiring; AND just about all your pieces are new to moi...that doesn't happen often. Please keep posting; this stuff is GREAT!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:29:56 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments - I'd forgotten I'd posted this lot up here! There are a few more that I've done, but not photographed yet. Recently my painting output has decreased (spending time with my fiance - lovely, but not condusive to painting) and what I have been doing has mainly be on my moderns.

I'm hopping to be able to crack on with a pile more of these chappies later in the year, as I got a stack at the last Foundry sale. I've also converted some of the models with revolvers to have flintlock pistols (I was inspired by some of Malamute's foundry conversions). Blaze-Away/Cannon-Fodder have released a couple more poses (including some cavalry versions of exisiting figures) which I'll get at some stage.

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
Lovely collection!

Offline bennyj

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
great stuff.  finishing the first couple of groups for a bleeding kansas game and hoping that some of the figures will double up nicely for some other 1850s (and earlier) games.

on a side note what are the 1st corps mountain men like??

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »
Great number of figures,well painted.
Not a lot of gamers tend to play 1830, 1840 mountain man period.
Would love to see them in a wargame, that would be a treat.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:52 AM »
Lovely work there, Xander.  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »
Thanks Chaps!  :D

I've actually started apinting a few more figures for this period recently - mainly to give me a break from painting dark age figures! I've attatched some photos at the bottom of this post...

The 1st Corps Moutain men are nice figures - lots of character and easy to paint. The pistols are a bit on the small side, and the bowies a bit too large... But I like them. The only down side is that there are only 5 or 6 sculpts in a pack of 8.

In terms of period - I had often fancied the Foundry range, and then Boot Hill miniatures gave me a 'second' range in the era... I like the range of outfits and equipment available, as well as it being a bit of a closer contest between the various factions.

I might well get a chance for a game in early October.. If I do, I'll put up some photos!

CFM Frontiersmen, with plains rifle and Capote blanket coat. A bit of a quick job, but he didn't turn out too badly.

Foundry Mountain Man - May yet go back and put some stripes on his Blanket coat as I can't decide if it looks too plain.

Lt J Evans (CFM)

Apache (Foundry, to act as a scout for my Meican Lancers), Running Boy (Dixons, likely to become and objective in game - save the boy from the grizzly/Indians/etc) & a Cheyenne brave with musket (Foundry, but I don't have a mounted version of this guy)

Mexican Rancheros (boothill) - the fellow in the grey jacket looks a bit older and more refined. Perhaps he owns the Hacienda where the ranchero's work? Certianly, his escopeta seems quite well worked...

Miles D Andross (CFM), Daniel William Cloud (Boothill, one of many lawyers from Kentucky who drifted to Texas in the hope of making his fortune) & Freeman Day (CFM)

A few odds and sods - you've seen these guys before, but they've had their revolvers swapped for muzzle loaders, to put them more into the 1830's that 40's/50's

And a group shot after clearing some of my basing backlog...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »
A great collection youa re building there. Looking forward to seeing some game reports :)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
Thanks Nick - there'll be another order coming your way at some stage... but first I need to reduce the lead pile. I'm not normally one to be plagued by my lead conscience, but having seen quite how many figures are in the unpainted 'Early West' pile I think I need to get painting!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:44 AM »
but first I need to reduce the lead pile. I'm not normally one to be plagued by my lead conscience, but having seen quite how many figures are in the unpainted 'Early West' pile I think I need to get painting!

lol

You can never have too much lead :D