Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: cold war West-German Bundeswehr  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Sky Captain

• Assistant
cold war West-German Bundeswehr
« on: February 12, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »
Hi,
looking at Gripping Beast's Falklandwar Argentines I thought, they are looking a little like germans in the 70s and 80s. So I decided to give it a try.

Being no expert on uniforms and intending to use them in a more pulpy way like hunting down soviet spies or trying to survive in a nuclear wasteland I think they are close enough for me. What do you think about them?

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: cold war West-German Bundeswehr
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
They work for me! Nice job...  :D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »

I like them. I can comment on whether or not they look like German but, looking at them, I’m sure they could easily past for 1970’s or 1980’s Canadian soldiers.

The Canadian Army did have this kind of weapon back then (based on the Belgian FN rifle?). I would paint the stock and fore grip of the rifle as wood though.

Anyhow, nice work! 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Sky Captain

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »
The Canadian Army did have this kind of weapon back then (based on the Belgian FN rifle?). I would paint the stock and fore grip of the rifle as wood though.

The german army was using the G3, which is looking very similar to the FN rifle, but I think is not based on it.
Here is a comparison shot of them I found on the internet.

Offline cataphractarius

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
Looking really nice!

One small thing, though - it appears as if they have Flecktarn camouflage, which would be not entirely correct for the 1970s and 1980s; while testing was done as early as the mid 1970s, it only entered general service in 1990. Before that, most troops would have Gelboliv stuff, which is a yellowish-greyish olive (and faded really, really quickly...).

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »
These two rifles look very similar indeed… no need to repaint them then ;)

That make me think… The father of a friend of mine, that was in the Army during the late 60’s early 70’s, once said that the little handle on the side, that you use to armed the rifle, was a fiddly thing that easily come off during exercises. He tell me that he used to carry a small piece of wood in his pocket to be able to armed the rifle if that happen lol

Offline Lenin

• Assistant
    • Lenin's Library
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
The West Germans did briefly use the FN FAL, designated the G1, but the story goes that FN, a Belgian company, refused to give a former enemy a license to manufacture the FAL, so instead the West Germans adopted what became the G3 and which, ironically, then went on to become the main rival to the FAL.

Anyway they are nicely painted.

Pete

Offline Sky Captain

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
Looking really nice!

One small thing, though - it appears as if they have Flecktarn camouflage, which would be not entirely correct for the 1970s and 1980s; while testing was done as early as the mid 1970s, it only entered general service in 1990. Before that, most troops would have Gelboliv stuff, which is a yellowish-greyish olive (and faded really, really quickly...).

It is not ment to be Flecktarn. I just tried to make them a little dirty with mud on their uniforms. When you get the wrong impression I must have done it bad.  lol
The only parts ment to be camoflaged are the helmets. Tried out the us woodland camo, as I have seen it on some pictures.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
I like how you've painted them. There are definite possibilities for using these figures as other than Argentines  :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »
hey they look great to me dude, and rember seeing guys all the way in the early 90s still in the old style uniforms along with flack-turn.
Check out eurika for some modern germans, and pacificskys becase they still have some of the old devildog design bundeswehr
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »
Love it nice work

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »
hey they look great to me dude, and rember seeing guys all the way in the early 90s still in the old style uniforms along with flack-turn.
It was a bit the other way round. In the early 90's you'd see rather more of the old style olive uniforms than the new "Mehrfruchtanzüge". And it was standardized within a company. Our new company chief had to exchange his Flecktarn with olive uniforms, as the rest of the company still used them.
per aspera ad astra

Offline cataphractarius

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
It is not ment to be Flecktarn. I just tried to make them a little dirty with mud on their uniforms. When you get the wrong impression I must have done it bad.  lol

Oops, sorry - guess it's rather me not looking closely enough; they look really nice.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
It was a bit the other way round. In the early 90's you'd see rather more of the old style olive uniforms than the new "Mehrfruchtanzüge". And it was standardized within a company. Our new company chief had to exchange his Flecktarn with olive uniforms, as the rest of the company still used them.

Sorry, I was still just a kid at that time, just going off of what I reimberd is all.  :)
but it still was kool watching tank manovers in my villiage....memorys lol