Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 451326 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Latest book received
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
Quote from: "Helen Bachaus"

Prof the English Translation of " The Last Gentleman of War" by the same author on the exploits of the Cruiser Emden is a terrfic read. Well worth the purchase if you are interested in maritime adventures of the Great War.

I've three books on the Konisgberg in English:

"The Germans Who Never Lost" by Edwin P Hoyt, Jr;

"Konigsberg" by Kevin Patience; and

The "Konigsberg" Adventure by E Keble Chatterton.

yes, i'm very interested in maritime adventures! will take a closer look at these books, thanks for listing, Helen!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Latest book received
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
Got these today:

Haven't actually read them but they looked good  :)
I'll let you know what I think when I've finished them.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 10:16:38 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
A new "book received" thread  :wink:

At the moment I'm seized with a passion for colonial history. Got yesterday two new books, "The german schutztruppe" and "The german colonies" with tons of textes and photos. Great reference material with lots of inspiration

Prof thanks for showing us the book covers for this period. Of interest as I've a plethora of books for this period and I'd like your opinion in the quality of information contained within the books or are they a rehash?

"The german colonies" is a rehash for sure, just something for the newcomer, but it's a nice issue with many photos and just the right book for my daughters :)

"The german schutztruppe" is a solid one. As far as i know, that's the book about the Schutztruppe, a really fundamental and serious work, can unrestricted recommend that

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
A new "book received" thread  :wink:

At the moment I'm seized with a passion for colonial history. Got yesterday two new books, "The german schutztruppe" and "The german colonies" with tons of textes and photos. Great reference material with lots of inspiration

Prof thanks for showing us the book covers for this period. Of interest as I've a plethora of books for this period and I'd like your opinion in the quality of information contained within the books or are they a rehash?

"The german colonies" is a rehash for sure, just something for the newcomer, but it's a nice issue with many photos and just the right book for my daughters :)

"The german schutztruppe" is a solid one. As far as i know, that's the book about the Schutztruppe, a really fundamental and serious work, can unrestricted recommend that

Many Thanks Prof  :)

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
Latest book received
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
Eberron campaing setting for D&D. What a cool world. I want minis!
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Latest book received
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
I was in New York City this past weekend and picked up a trade paperback copy of American Gods by Neil Gaiman for $5.

I was sorely tempted to drop a big chunk of cash on a 1st edition copy of The Dunwich Horror from 1963. I didn't and now I regret it.  :cry:
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
Latest book received
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 02:38:44 PM »
American Gods is a GREAT read.

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Latest book received
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »
I read the unedited page proofs before the book was released. The last chapter was missing so I wanted to go back through and see what what's changed.

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
Latest book received
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:18 AM »
Greetings

My thanks to the Battlefield which -as allways- acted promptly and without a hitch :wink:
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Latest book received
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
My latest Pulp-related acquisitions are part 1+2 of Gunsmith Cats revised edition. I'm not a Manga-Fan, but these are real cool! Driving a Shelby GT500 with 160mph while shooting at your prey with a CZ75 is the real thing. I even made Rally Vincent my desktop backgropund...
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Latest book received
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
My latest Pulp-related acquisitions are part 1+2 of Gunsmith Cats revised edition. I'm not a Manga-Fan, but these are real cool! Driving a Shelby GT500 with 160mph while shooting at your prey with a CZ75 is the real thing. I even made Rally Vincent my desktop backgropund...

Gawd, I loved those! I have the first eight books from the defective print run by Feest back in the mid-90s... and two of the tapes. Kenichi Sonoda proved quite a lucky hand with that one.

Edit: You might turn it into a "Shut It!"-spinoff... :D ;) I´m pretty sure you could use some of the Street Violence stuff, if GZG don´t even do Rally and Minnie...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »

Herr Haupt seems to be a very productive gentleman (or should I say junker?) but he doesn't seem to have been much translated to english. To bad since my german is in par with that of a danish pig.

Has anyone found a translation of this book that I haven't?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Latest book received
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks to Helen for the recommendation :)

"After a year's blockade and siege in 1915, the light cruiser Königsberg was finally sunk in the Ruffi delta in East Africa - but the crew salvaged all the guns, joined forces with the German East African troops and prepared to take on a British force of 300.000..."

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Latest book received
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
Yesterday I received my copy of "Die deutsche Schutztruppe" and by now I'm halfway through the book. A really good book, though from todays point of view not that neutral at all. I'm not one of those claiming every colonial battle was a genocide (as todays leftist press tries to indoctrinate us), but the Herero-uprising is described in a manner I would have expected in 1908, but not in 1988 when the book was written.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Latest book received
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007, 04:50:12 AM »
Hi Folks, here are some books that i've bought over the past couple of months. I'm always bounching from book to book:

[/img]