Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slaughterloo  (Read 8914 times)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Slaughterloo
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
I kindly received an out of the blue PM from thebinmann requesting some more pictures and possibly a battle report for Flintlogue/Slaughterloo.

Not wanting to disappoint I managed to dig out the photos from our last battle.   A mere two oversized divisions per side.   We played on a 12'x 4' table.
Ferach and her allies face off against the Orcs of Albion.

I will compile a battle report as soon as I can.  In the mean time some pictures for your entertainment.

Thanks for looking.    

I will add more when I can
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:22:32 PM by Rabbitz »
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Slaughterloo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
Aw, very nice! I really loved Flintloque (way back in the 90s) and also liked Slaughterloo, although I couldn't fully commit myself to the mass battle stuff back then (that and my generals getting picked out by snipers).

I had a division's worth of Krautian Dwarfs and Östarian Dogs. Still have them at my parents and will probably strip the paintjob one day and re-paint them properly.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
Wow thanks a lot!

Any advice on painting?

Westfalia Chris: I started at the very out set and actually traded a set of magic for some paibted minis and a draft of the rules from Mack, I liked it a lot but found that Sharke et al were simply too much! Though I understand the new rules are more balanced! I haven't played for years, and years and years!

Rab: do youplay at a club or with friends? Which set of rules?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:46:13 PM by thebinmann »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
That church is just great; can I buy one or is it scratchbuilt?

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
 :D :D :D

Love it. Always love seeing painted Slaughterloo miniatures.

I'd love to see more of your collection, I've heard its rather large.

Todoroni really are useless aren't they, I've got hundreds of the blighters!

I take too long painting them as well, really hard to paint up all those bloomin' elves!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »
Anyone interested in flintloque/slaughterloo, please visit my blog.

http://robsramblingcorner.blogspot.com/

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »
Anyone interested in flintloque/slaughterloo, please visit my blog.

http://robsramblingcorner.blogspot.com/

Do you have any painting advice?

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
I generally use bright colours, with GW foundation paints as a base. I build up the tones using basic 3 tone technique.

The sculpts are cartoony, so I suggest a cartoony approach.

What can be good is start with a basecoat colour for each colour, give them an ink wash and then drybrush them the same colour. Rabbitz has done this to the faces of his toads I think. It's a very simple and quick method worth trying.  :)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »
Do you have any painting advice?

I second the Cartoony approach.   With mine I just use a base coat a mid tone and a highlight for all the colours.   Wargames Foundry paints are idea for this as they are already mixed in those shades.

I dont use inks or washes except on the muskets and I don't use drybrushing either.   I just feel the nice solid colours seem to work best on the big chunky figures they are.
I guess keeping your colours bright and neat is more important then getting them historically accurate or realistic.

Yes the Toads are rather useless but I have to admit they are amongst my favourite troops.    I have limited my self to just four units of 24.   I have a fair few figures painted but have some way to go before they are all done.

The church is one I built myself.  I think in total I have ended up making 6 of them so far for various people.  Its just MDF base with the building made from Foam-core.

I normally play at a club although we sometimes play at either a friends or my house.  It can be a lot of figures to set up though and with all that lead you need pretty sturdy tables.     ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:10:35 PM by Rabbitz »

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
I've got a warm spot in my heart for those frogs.  Nice work.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
Hey Guys

yeah I have a soft spot for them. I have a rather large army of them!

I agree, solid, bright colours and sounds like you do pretty much exactly the same as me! I do a bit of research into the uniforms, but that is also because I sculpt for them!
Generally speaking though, you can get away with murder, especially with the smaller nations.

I use drybrushing and inks on certain surfaces, for example, my trolka's skin. I want them to look slightly rocky. My undead will also use drybrushing and some washes to dirty them up a bit.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »
I do a bit of research into the uniforms, but that is also because I sculpt for them!
Generally speaking though, you can get away with murder, especially with the smaller nations.

really !

Do you just Sculpt the Toads or do you sculpt other ranges too?

I have to admit the toads are my favourite,  Absolutely useless  unless you can draw an opponents cavalry to attack them when they are formed in Square.  They can then just about hold their own...with tt right selection of General and Commander cards  :D  as happened in the last game we played.

@ thebinmann - we use the latest edition of the Slaughterloo rules.  We use all the basic rules and a couple of the advanced rules.  To be honest I think the rules work a treat and could easily be used for regular Napoleonic s.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
really !

Do you just Sculpt the Toads or do you sculpt other ranges too?

I have to admit the toads are my favourite,  Absolutely useless  unless you can draw an opponents cavalry to attack them when they are formed in Square.  They can then just about hold their own...with tt right selection of General and Commander cards  :D  as happened in the last game we played.

Sorry, I can't tell you that. Part of the rules.
But if you look in the latest books, my name is in there, so I am not lying!

Yeah! They are my favourite army, you really need cards for them. Mounted officers are also useful (but only one per division, alas) and the inclusion of Ferro Rospo. I resculpted him as shown on my blog to look more like an original Mike Owen Toad. I am thinking of selling him and my Hippo Mounted Hussars at some point though, so I can redo them.

There should be some nice new toads coming out soon.

But then I might be a liar.

The Bella Manicotti which have just been released are quite nice and a quite good unit. They'll also be as rare as hen's teeth soon!

Yeah, the latest rules are the best, they are a pig to read , but are fine if you condense them down and ignore the advanced rules.

I don't touch the smokey marker rules unless the Othari come into things.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
So I decided to have a quick tidy up in the garage yesterday and I stumbled across another stash of Slaughterloo Figures.
I thought it would be nice to see what was in there and I had not unpacked the box since moving house.

It was a selection of my Undead Witchlands Army.  (I really must get back too painting the rest of these, especially the one my dog tried to chew on when I dropped it, hence the missing figure)

There was also about 80 Dogs (not of the figure chewing type, rather the musket wielding type)
I started to set these up but it was incredibly hot at the time and I also realised part way through that the majority of my French and Dog armies were still at a friends where I had left them prior to moving.

Anyway I took a little group shot and will take better pictures another time

Cheers all
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:26:52 PM by Rabbitz »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »
Bloody hell!

That is a lot of painted miniature! How do you do it?

I really must get mine done, I feel awful!

How long does a unit take you to paint? I take about a month! I'd really like to know how!