Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slaughterloo  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Re: Slaughterloo
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
I generally paint a unit at a time.  On a good month I can get anywhere up to 60 or so figures painted a month, depending on other commitments.  If the wife is working away and I don't have much on at work then I can really churn them out.

Normally I manage around 30-40 figures a month on average.   I do seem to spend a lot of my 'hobby time' building buildings, musing over the next Army to build or mad contraption to construct, so I guess I spend a fair amount of time day dreaming rather then being productive.

At the moment my painting table consists of Bretonnian Knights which I am trying to paint with individual Heraldry, its slow going with only one or two figures done per week.
After those are done I will move back on to some of the faster stuff, like Flintlogue figures.

I will try to get some pics of My Painted Ferach soon.   I sold off all my Albion troops to a friend but I will try to get some pictures of those too.   Our ultimate Slaughterloo goal is a massive game with the forces of the Star Wraith using the forces of Albion as pawns (i know they normally cant ally together) against my massive Ferach Army.  A game for at least a full weekend I feel.

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
Albion and Undead can, sort of, ally together.

Slaughterloo isn't really a points match up, but a scenario based game, so you could say it is early in the northern campaign, where the orcs are none the wiser that they are soon going to be no more than mindless drones under the star wraith!

In fact, in Czarlingrad, much of the novel is about Orcs whom have been sent to the Witchlands in the form of Sherp and Herpy (Sharke and Harpy turn out to be fakes! Believe what you want!).  lol

60 miniatures, bloody hell. Even 30-40 is a lot mate.
I guess I have sculpting to do and all that sort of stuff, but way to make me feel bad! :P

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »

60 miniatures, bloody hell. Even 30-40 is a lot mate.

Not sure I've ever done 30 in a year  :o :'(

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
lol!

Don't worry,should you play flintloque rather than Slaughterloo, you won't need anywhere near this many figs! ;)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
Rob, nice work on the figs! Where are the trees on your table from?

-Todd

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
lol, I wish these were my models, but they belong to Rabbitz, so I have no idea.

Yes. There is more than one flintloque player in the world.
I just think I am the most outspoken!  ;D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
I have never played the Flintlock or slaughterloo rules, how are they... and how well do you think they would transfure over to reaguler naps and weird naps
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
I love the Slaughterloo rules and think they would fit well with regular Napoleonic's. 
Very basically you give units orders, the more complex the order the harder for the unit to do it and remain organised.  Better trained troops have a higher Form score allowing giving them a better chance at carrying out your orders in good order.  If you fail a form roll after declaring the actions you want a unit to perform it will still carry out the orders but in a disordered state (not a good state to be in if forced to take a morale check or engaged in combat.)
Units that are Disordered suffer heavy penalties to melee , shooting, form and Morale.

Army Commanders have 'order cards' that they can pass down to the divisional generals, these cards can boost a divisions melee, shooting, form, moral or have a whole host of other effects.  In turn the divisional commanders have their own set of 'order cards that they can pass down to individual regiments to improve them even further.   Some cards are played on your own troops to boost them, some on the enemy troops to hinder them.

Other then the figures and a host of Magical banners there is not a real lot of fantasy in the rules.  If you ignore the background and got rid of the undead re-animators and magic items you would have a pretty decent regular Napoleonic rules.

I cant comment on Flintlogue as I have an older set of rules for it and have only ever played the skirmish version of the game once.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
Slaughterloo is basically like another historical napoleonic game. It just has some more fantasy units put into it. I enjoy the game, but prefer the skirmish game Flintloque as it allows for more 'fantastic' games.
Your description of Slaughterloo is spot on.

As for Flintloque, the newest version is a great set of rules. You can get the free taster set from Alternative Armies' yahoo group 'the notables'. That may be all you need for weird napoleonic.
The basic rules are mostly percentile. You activate two models a time taking up to 2 actions with each.
You can create sections as any level of quality, from guerilla (or even civilian) to Elite.
It is aimed at being more based on heroic napoileonic, the likes of Sharpe and Harper.
It should be easy enough to add to, but in honesty, it is made for fantasy Napoleonics and I assure you, it is a brilliant background and set of miniatures, once you are into it, you really are into it!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
even better, because even though i want to make some big battalion games, right now i am looking for a skirmish game. I just got sharp practice and A song of Drums and Shakos so I will try out the Flinloqe rules also.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 12:05:55 AM »
Well it's a free download for the 'lite' rules, so it's worth a shot!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
Rabbitz! Any more pics?

You seen the new publication from AA Barking Irons? It looks quite good.  :D

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
Due to my shift pattern I haven't been able to dig out any pictures of late.

Also I haven't seen the new publication,  tell me about it?    :)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
"NEW PUBLICATION - tell me about it!"

See;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Tony

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Fair enough.

The new publication is a monthly magazine from Alternative Armies called Barking Irons. It is a combination of Orcs in the Hills, The Notables AND 60 Bloody Rounds. AA have suggested that before, they have played around with various ways of publishing magazines, even online content.

However, the feeling emerged that although we like free material, we prefer it printed rather than computer generated. The Notables, although free, became too expensive for AA to continue with. 60 Bloody Rounds needed too much from fans and was not quite so well edited. Orcs in the Hills was good, but quickly became 'out of date'.
Barking Irons is a new magazine intended to get the best from all. It is printed (full Colour I think), should not go out of date and will feature little in the way of previews, order pages and adverts and more in the way of usable material interesting to a variety of AA's game systems. The Magazine is cheap compared to other fantasy wargames magazines out these days. It is not free, but I'd consider it an upgrade from the Notables magazine. We will continue to see free online material as well as it helps AA in a huge way.
Oh and postage for the magazine is cheaper than usual postage as well, so if it's all you're ordering then you don't have to worry about the £3.50 postage. Even to Australia.

Definately worth checking out.

http://alternative-armies.com/BI01_Barking_Irons.htm

Edit: It's not full colour, but it's on heavy paper.