Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: R'lyeh Terrain?  (Read 7258 times)

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: R'lyeh Terrain?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
I have a plan (read: I was thinking about) making whole board one day. I am talking out of head here, but I imagine it on a pacific island, kinda like Iwo Jima - with a mountain on one side. "Huge" (so like waist high - gives cover and you can still see over) stairs would lead on top of the mountain where you'd have the door to his "bedroom" actually laying flat. I guess making some triangular turns on the stairs and cutting them at an angles smaller than 90° would suffice for "weird angles". Random cover could be made with blocks of ruined masonry and I always thought about building angled columns - like half fallen, but normal for a city of that kind :P.

I think your best source for inspiraton would be various atlantis images...and you can use it for that as well!

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
Instead of R'lyeh, maybe Devil's Reef is more do-able? Now this is just some random musings after re-reading The Shadow over Innsmouth, mind you....
First thoughts: We know that the reef is a mile from shore. OK, fine. Perspective wise it seems to be visible, but not too big. Now something six feet tall looks about a quarter of an inch tall for argument's sake at a mile. My scaling is probably wrong, but lets go with that for now. So the reef probably is about 6-12 feet out of the water. Well 2" blue foam would serve fairly well for our purpose it would seem.

Second Thoughts: What exactly does a rocky reef look like? This isn't coral, so not jagged. Smooth perhaps, or even rough like sandstone. Possibly with some pockets of harder or softer material that hasn't eroded, or has left strange depressions. Hmmm....... Irregular lumps of rock with pockmarks then? possibly some strange altar, with low rocky outcroppings surrounding it?

Just some musings.

Offline forcedperfect

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:42 AM »
haven't had a go myself, but FFG has some neat 'other world' art in their mythos games.  wouldn't be anything like a board blueprint, but it might give you the right vibe to dive in!

Offline MTD

• Schoolboy
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »
Try to replicate some Dr. Seuss buildings with sharper angels.  That has always been the closest thing to odd-geometry I could visualize.

You could likely make some weird stuff by messing with perspective such as having stairs that are 4 inches wide on the bottom but as they go up narrow the width to one inch with it ending at a small door.  If players try to go up them, you just tell them that each step requires 12 inches of movement.