Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:04:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 6-7-10  (Read 66572 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 6-7-10
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
Well, I resisted and resisted, and then, over Christmas, a mate of mine dropped off his Xbox360 and another friend loaned me his copy of Fallout 3...

Some 60-80 hours of gameplay later, the dirty stinking rat bastards took it all back, and now I miss it. SO, I am trying to get a bit of a small Fallout map and collection going, and I am modifying the Necromunda ruleset to fit the Fallout universe - which is actually pretty darn easy, especially for weapons. Let's see, .32 caliber is a stub gun, 10mm is an autopistol, .44 is a bolt pistol...Whee!

And of course, I have been searching the archives for what I can find that other have already done. I have plenty of models already for Raiders (Goliaths and Eschers are already perfect for that), townspeople, a vault team, scavengers, and I am going to use the Van Saar gangers for Talon Company.

I love the suggestions of either the Kryomek Nexus SWAT teams or Warzone Bauhaus Wolfheads for Enclave Power Armor (I will probably order the Kryomek stuff, as the pricing on the Prince August is ridiculously near GW levels), and I have no trouble with Radscorpions or Yao Guai (yay Reaper Moor Hound!).
I found some Scavvy Scaly models in my bins that will do for a super-mutant gang, and I have some old lead giant ants. Ghouls can be created from my bits box of catachans and zombies. Brahmin will be easy once I find the plastic sets that were referenced a few months ago in one of the myriad threads already in existence.

But what the heck do you guys suggest for Deathclaws? Or Mirelurks?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:58:19 PM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Mikey

• Student
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
I have not seen them in person but Mega Miniatures has a couple of things in their "Monster" catalog that might work. DEAL-0017 Nightmare Creature and DEAL-0029 NIghtmare Deamon. Like I said, I haven't seen them so there is no telling how big they are.

http://www.megaminis.com/

Offline Thornhammer

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
I used a Dire Troll Mauler (I think) from Privateer.  Found a good deal on one.  It became a super-sized Deathclaw.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
I used a Dire Troll Mauler (I think) from Privateer.  Found a good deal on one.  It became a super-sized Deathclaw.

Seems a bit bulky to me - I actaully collect the Trollbloods factions from Privateer's Hordes game, so he is on ethe shelf, but I gueass he would work if I don't fins anything I like better.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A post-apocalyptic project - yes, Fallout. Update 3-1-10
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
So, we are rolling forward at a haphazard pace, as I can't seem to focus on more than one figure at a time at the moment.

Here's what is done....

And some close ups... a scavenger and his loyal companion. And their soda machine.

A very scary foe. I have two of these, and the other one is almost done too. The Reaper sculpt is just beautiful.

A townman and his various women. I find that a lot of my Pulp figures and Hasslefree will work just fine for the Fallout project, and so they will be townsfolk. I may invest in some of the Atomic Cafe figures to add in later, but for now I am happy to work with what I have for the most part.

At least I am getting somewhere. If I could just find someone local who carried the bleedin' pink foam in sheets 2" thick, I would be on to the table as well.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
And another update - which I could put in the Workbench, but I don't want to annoy Hammers with crossposts.

I wracked my brain trying to find an inexpensive way to do Deathclaws - the closest figures I could think of over the last few days were the Heresy Trolls, but I just don't have the cash flow right now for several $25 models and shipping from jolly ol' England. I am already going to be doing a bit of that for certain Hasslefree figures to finish Reilly's Rangers. I was staring at my wall of shame (as my wife calls it), and some figures called my attention to them. These.

And I was off and running. They are a bit bulky, but with some random tyranid bits and some greenstuff, we have these.

Number One

Number Two

Once I have the appropriate paint scheme on theme, I can't see any players not knowing what they are the moment I put them down, y'know?

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »

I have one of those green guys at home.  He always reminds me of a Muppet, with his big ol' mouth, googly eyes and Kermit green hue.

I always thought the the figure really needed to be painted a different colour.  I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with (I am not familair with Fallout so I dont know the creature that you are representing...).

The scorpion looks great  :-*

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

I have one of those green guys at home.  He always reminds me of a Muppet, with his big ol' mouth, googly eyes and Kermit green hue.

I always thought the the figure really needed to be painted a different colour.  I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with (I am not familair with Fallout so I dont know the creature that you are representing...).

The scorpion looks great  :-*

This guy is what I am trying to match up to. And thanks for the compliments. I am doing the other one in a brown rather than black, so we will see how he turns out.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
Very very nice Fallout 3 =  :-* + Miniatures =  :-* :-*

Anyway nice job youve got me following.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
a scavenger and his loyal companion.

From Harlan Ellison's A Boy and his Dog?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
From Harlan Ellison's A Boy and his Dog?

You could say that, seeing as that novel is one of the main influences on the Fallout series of games.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
I think I read that book.  That's where he meets some bimbo, who treats his dog badly, and he kills here, in an apocolyptic future?

There was a cartoon movie of the same name when I was a chil'.  Didn't see it.  (I think it was rated X or something)

Anyhoo,  that girl in jeans and pink is the figure, I'm pretty sure, that my daughter uses as her likeness in zombie games.

Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:42:50 AM »
I think I read that book.  That's where he meets some bimbo, who treats his dog badly, and he kills here, in an apocolyptic future?

There was a cartoon movie of the same name when I was a chil'.  Didn't see it.  (I think it was rated X or something)

Anyhoo,  that girl in jeans and pink is the figure, I'm pretty sure, that my daughter uses as her likeness in zombie games.

A cartoon movie? I didnt ever see a cartoon version of the movie but there was a regular movie released back mid 70's with Don Johnson playing the lead role of the survivor. And yes, in the end, it was just the boy and his dog. LOL    :-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

Grimm

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13:39 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a cartoon version, either. I watched the 1975 edition when Fallout first came out, to make sure that I really remembered as many similarities as I thought I did.

Well, today was fruitful - I now have a source for the foam I need to build the tabletop pieces, and, as luck would have it, it is all right beside my FLGS. As well, I got a bit of painting done - another Radscorpion, and the Deathclaws. I may still add some color touchup to the 'Claws, but I doubt it.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
And the figures, they keep a' comin'!

A cobbled together Sentry Bot - I am actually rather proud of this guy, as I had to really stretch to find pieces for it. It, like the deathclaws, is a litle big in comparison, but I am not too worried about that. Besides, they will know exactly what it is when it hits the table.

And here I have painted up some Dreamblade Maul rats to use as Mole Rats. Again, not perfect, but they will do.

And finally, a captive. In Fallout 3, you can sometimes rescue captives from Raiders and Supermutants, so I am painting a few up. This one I tried to match up to the townswoman in the above post. The dress is not exactly the same, but I think it works.

Now, on to terrain and Vault Dwellers.