Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 546
Total: 551

Recent

Author Topic: COC RPG  (Read 5297 times)

Offline JMGraham

• Librarian
Re: COC RPG
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
8. Nefarious books should be burned, not read...

And how, sir, would you know that the book was nefarious unless you've read it?  At which point it's too late!  A better rule would be:

8.  All books should be burned.  All of them.

:)
Jim

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
Well, you ask yourself 'does it look like a nefarious book?'

If it does, burn it.

If it doesn't, it's a trap, so burn it anyway.

Then find out that in fact it was the only clue you had to how to defeat the evil-fish-ancestor-creeping-slime-tentacle-ovipositor-thing-from-the-cold-between-the-stars (or, you know, whatever), and then go screamingly insane and/or burn yourself. It's faster that way.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »
12 Rules for dealing with Mythos Threats

1) There are very few Mythos Threats that cannot be solved with the application of high explosives.

2) Spooky uninhabited Mansions should be burned/or blown up - not explored.

3) That creepy/mysterious guy who works in the antique store,  museum, mortuary, funeral parlor...sould either be left alone entirely or kidnapped with extreme force - held against his will and tortured until to reveals whatever evil plot he is involved in.

4) All harmless gatherings, social circles, clubs or hermetic orders are in reality hateful cults bent on destroying all of mankind.

5) All shipping companies, tea houses, African Novalty Shops, are just fronts for Cults (see rule 1&2)

6) Anyone bearing resemblance to a long dead family member - is or will be impersonated by that long-dead family member (see rule 3)

7) Be very wary of letters or phone calls from old Friends, Excentric Uncles and other obscure Relatives who have traveled abroad...they are often victims, involved in cults, or wish to draw the characters into the clutch of some evil force.

8) Nefarious books should be burned, not read...

9) Strange Greenish Stone Idols, Relics, and Strange Multi-faceted Jems should be cast in the deepest subterrainan ocean trenches...or see Rule 1

10) Really friendly people ..... aren't

11) Firearms rarely work on Mythos threats but that isn't a reason not to try...

12) Never enlist the aid of Police, the FBI, or the Local Sheriff until you've already applied rule 1...either you will be thought a madman, risk unddue criminal attention or the local sheriff is a card carrying member of the cult himself.  Take care of buisness first.

This, is a work of art!   I love it!   :)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »
The CCG / Not CCg is pretty good too!

"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:01 AM »
from I can remember guns are sometimes no use as quite a few of the mythos monsters are impervious,

it was usually quite amusing to confidently shoot something that wanted to kill you just to watch it still keep coming and kill you

I did like it though although writing your own adventures I found quite hard when I was younger

always enjoyed playing it though  :D

dodge

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
My players hardly ever actually fought monsters. I always preferred to build up the terror factor in other ways than just having a scary monster jump out of a cupboard and go "boo!"

The few times they were confronted by such things they mostly just ran away, which as a GM made me feel I had done my job correctly.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »
Well its arrived and im currently reading.

Cheers

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Wait, you're actually reading it?

Haven't you realised yet that that way certain madness lies?

Despite Gauntman's clear warning of "Nefarious books should be burned, not read...", despite JMGraham's warning that "All books should be burned.  All of them...", in spite of Digitarii saying "think about the "treasure" a tome that will cause madness, the end of the world or both!" and even though Voltan said "...it's a trap by your GM", you still started reading?

Right lads, let's break out the Elder Signs, we have to get round to Abhorsen's quick and torch the place, before he gets in touch with any students he might have had many years ago and starts sending them cryptic messages to meet at the Old Library...

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 01:00:55 PM »
 ;D ;) Dont worry im not raising Mythos just yet ;) Though the cultists group of already come round, interesting crowd :P. Im really hoping to get a hang of this system and get roleplaying as soon as possible.

Cheers

Steve

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
If you plan on playing a long-term game.

I really really recommend finding the "Masks of Nyarlathotep" campaign.  It requires some work from a Keeper but it is an amazing and detailed world spanning campaign with lots of the "Lively awfulness" which makes COC outstanding.

It is not something to dare until you have gotten your feet very wet though.  It requires the Keeper to become very familiar with the period and the technology of that time.

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------