Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Few Finished Odds and Ends  (Read 4085 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
A Few Finished Odds and Ends
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »

Here are a few tiny items I was working on I thought I'd post.  I too enjoy admiring the work of others, so I thought I'd share.

These are figures and pieces intended for Strange Aeons.

First up is an overview with my youngest son smiling in the background.  I feel terrible but his older brother who is 5 is already painting miniatures.  I've corrupted him.

Next is the Shoggoth I made out of Sculpty Clay and wire painted in swirled pinks and purples.  I used a Gloss varnish to add that final slimy moist look.

These are the two Swamp CD pieces I just finished.  The depth looks outstanding in person with great care taken painting the deepest areas with black while the banks and slopes are kept a dark brown to provide wonderful depth.

Then another CD piece a rocky pass between two boulders.  I liked this piece so much, I began work on two more.  The newer ones are constructed in a manner in which they can be pushed together to creat a nearly solid and longer expanse of stone, if desired.

Next is my Evil French Colonel, from the RAFM Asia Expedition.. I added a pistol holster with green stuff to give him some firepower for Strange Aeons.

Then another scupty clay creation, my swamp monster.. I liked the idea but figured I could make my own swamp monster as well as I could buy one from Reaper.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Then we have two scrawny ones from Uncle Mike's Worldwide.  They came with some nice pentagrams.

And FInally two more CD Terrain Pieces a cave and an unfinsihed ruined two story building.  AT present, I'm considering covering the face with vines or ivy but I am considering how best to complete this.

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: A Few Finished Odds and Ends
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:37 AM »
Bravo, great stuff. I really like the CD pieces, I've done a few of my own. The bogs look wonderful, did you use water effects?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:42:14 AM »
Your kid doesn't look nearly finished yet.  (You were expecting this comment, weren't you?  :))

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:50 AM »
Yep...I'm still working on the man-child...he's the middle one.  I'll get a brush in his hand too eventually.

In regards to the swamp...
The water effects are Woodland Scenics.  I textured the basin with PVA glue and real sand, primed it black, and then painted the shores brown.  I carefully worked a thin layer of water effects around the entire bottom with a brush.  When it was dry I painted what I wanted to appear as the darkest areas in black and added another layer of water effects.  Finally after that was dry, I added a 3rd and final layer of water effects to give a layer depth look.

The water effects took about 3 days (1 day per layer to cure).

I considered adding long grass but desired against it...I wanted the shore very durable and didn't want to risk placing any more material in the water to disrupt the even surface of the water.  I was very pleased with how the stumps and sandbars rising from the water turned out.

Thanks for the positive remarks...

I really have gottena bit obsessive about creating these CD terrain pieces.  It's very fun and challenging to create modular terrain like this.  Turning around, I've counted 17 CD Terrain pieces I created so far (3 are partly finished).  The wonderful thing about each of these pieces, is that I can take any of them and place them on my painted Zuzzy battlemat and whoola, a unique and totaly new enviroment.  I just unrolled my battlemat and grabbed 3 terrain CD's and boom in less than 15 seconds, the terrain was set up for a game.

I really can't say enough about Zuzzy rubber Battlemats too.  I have a single 3x3 textured and painted mat.  They are really worth the investment and are incredibly portable and durable..no fuss and no mess.   I tried to give you a few close ups to show you how incredibly detailed these battlemats are...it took me hours to paint the rocks and sticks and textures but after you finish adding the colors and seal the surface, you have and incredibly flexible gaming surface.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:48 AM »
Your kid doesn't look nearly finished yet.  (You were expecting this comment, weren't you?  :))

:D I agree! Some more hightlights  ::) sorry couldn't help myself either
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:37 AM »
BTW, I didn't comment on your figures. The French Legionaire is also top notch.

Thanks for the walk through on those bogs. I may be making a large pool and was trying to get some ideas on how to pull it off. This looks to do the trick.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »
Wow, what great work, the water is very impressive.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:05 AM »
I like the swamps - having done lots of CD terrain, I should get my act together and do a pond or swamp to add to the mix!

Those Zuzzy matts do look nice, they've been on my "things to consider buying" list for ages and I think I shall have to pull the trigger on a small 2x2 or 3x3 one later this year...

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:03:55 AM »
Great stuff as usual. Love the swamps...plenty of playable space and they look fantastic.

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:47 AM »
The swamps are really awesome!  I'm hoarding old CD's...

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
Very nice stuff, I'll be copying that cave and rock formations for my greek myth stuff - the minotaur needs a place to sleep, right?
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
Thanks
The cave is a neat piece.  It's amazing what you can do with packing foam, white glue and dry wall spackle.

The entrance makes a great spawning point for monsters or objective but I didn't create it with any possible way to open the interior.  It was very difficult to paint the interior and even though it is hollow, movement or combat inside the cave would have to be considered (out of play).

All the other CD structure pieces I made (houses, church and shacks) have removable roofs so play can move inside. 

Offline Lost Boy

• Student
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
Some good stuff there, especially the scrawny ones... :)