Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:03:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a 'Steampunk Tankgirl' mini...  (Read 11358 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Looking for a 'Steampunk Tankgirl' mini...
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
... if you can imagine such a thing.

Long(ish) story short(ish) - a mixup between Mahdists and Methodists on the Colonial forum led me to pondering a short definition of what VSF is; and I came up with 'rivets and whimsey'.

'Rivets and Whimsey' then became, in my mind, "The Extraordinary Adventures of 'Rivets' McGurk (a gruff aeronef engineer), and Miss (or Lady, can't remember which) Whimsabella Pootling (the daughter of McGurk's former employer)" and their fin de siecle high-jinks in a clapped-out aeronef.

Which of course leaves me looking for minis. I think I've found someone for 'Rivets' - the Khador Mechanik from Warmachine, who looks like this...     

... but I'm looking for a suitable figure for Whimsey... hence 'Steampunk Tankgirl'. In my mind, she's got a bowler hat, goggles, corset and a long skirt, and carries a jezzail-type long-gun. And she's skinny. But generally, 'kicking Victorian ass' would do.

Suitable suggestions (eg 'lie down in a dark room, 'take a cold shower' or 'seek medical advice immediately') gratefully received.

(Hoping the image works, hoping the image works, hoping the image works...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:45:38 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: Looking for a 'Steampunk Tankgirl' mini...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
Freebooter has the thing for you
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »
I like your idea.  I get my main vision of the steampunk world from the on line comic "Girlgenius".  If you haven't read any her story line here is the link:

http://girlgeniusonline.com/

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:11 PM »
I'd heard of 'Girlgenius', but not checked it out, thanks for that link ushistoryprof.

And Polyorketes, that's certainly something like what I was thinking of. A little... well developed in the chest region for my original idea, but it's made the shortlist (of one, currently...), so ta for that too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:41:59 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
How about these ladies (sorry, no bowler hat and no long skirts - but at least the second one appears to wear goggles):

They are from PPs Iron Kingdom line.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:39:34 PM by Trencher »
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
Ooh, Iron Kingdom should have no scaling problems with Warmachine... I was also looking at some of the Khador units with long rifles, I think there's a female gunner in there. Thanks Trencher ... are you a member of a Cygnarian unit? Just wondering  ;)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
The Anima Tactics Cordelia might fit the bill

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
I second Trencher's second suggestion - the girl with the goggles from the Iron Kingdoms range. I have the model, and it's nice. No rifle, though. Hmmm. It's true, there's a rifle-toting girl in the Khador widowmakers unit, isn't there? Anyway, goggle-girl scales up well against Cygnar long-gunners (I just checked) so I think you'd be fine in terms of the scale, at least.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
Khador has several great female figures that you could use.  They paint up really well they are my perfered army my boys use Cygnar and Menoth.  Also try Major Victoria Haley from Cygnar she has goggles.

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Ooh, Iron Kingdom should have no scaling problems with Warmachine... I was also looking at some of the Khador units with long rifles, I think there's a female gunner in there. Thanks Trencher ... are you a member of a Cygnarian unit? Just wondering  ;)

Well actually more of a certain Warzone unit (see avatar), however those Cygnarian Trenchers are quite nice, too. I am converting some of them as I don't like their Romanesque helmets. Some Bretonnian Heads are more my taste as they really have more "character".
BTT: The leader of the Kador Widowmakers is a lady with a long rifle and she looks nice, however she wears an eyepatch...

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »
The best I can think of is to take the female pilot from Pulp Figures' "Dangerous Dames" pack (http://www.pulpfigures.com/catcode.php?range=Personalities&code=PHP&number=4&custID=801772111251267734544) and either add a skirt with putty or get the hacksaw out and combine her top half with the lower half of one of the women explorers Mark Copplestone sculpted for Foundry's "Darkest Africa".

Or maybe take one of the Darkest Africa women and do a head swap?  I'm sure that someone does a 28mm Tank Girl lookalike with alternative head options, but I can't remember who.

There might also be something usable among the Black Scorpion Old West range, but I can't actually find the shop on their new web-site.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
What about Dirty Meg?
She has tools, goggles and an overall mechanic look to her, a little mdification and she might be what your looking for.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/solos/dirty-meg

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »
@ prof: Oh Dirty Meg looks great... when I was musing about who 'Rivets' and 'Whimsey' could be, I thought of making 'Whimsey' a chap (like Lord Peter Whimsey, perhaps his uncle or something) and 'Rivets' a girl... if I had have done, Dirty Meg would have been perfect. I probably just have to buy her anyway, I posted a few days ago asking about aeronef crews and the more mechanic-types from Warmachine I look at, the more I think I have my crews. Woo-hoo sky-pirates! My mate Rob will be pleased, he's been trying to get me into Warmachine...

I do remember thinking that the Victoria Haley 'varient' model I think it was looked pretty good, when I was looking for the Mechanik. The one where her hair's flying about rather than the hat (headscarf?) in the original. You're right that Khador is cool, as soon as I took a look at the ranges I knew it would be my starting point. Guys in fur hats with big guns? What's not to love?

@ Trencher: that's the gal I was thinking of... I was wondering if I could actually GS goggles for the eyepatch. It's certainly something like the kind of rifle I had in mind. Otherwise, not so much on the dress sense, it's just that she does look cool. Maybe that's what she wears hunting mammoth in Siberia.

@ Skrapwelder: again I think I had that mini in mind when pondering this... if the Khador Widowmaker is her in mammoth-hunting gear, Cordelia must be her in her best ballgown. In my head, there's something between the two - not as formal as the meringue-dress, not quite as practical as the winter garb.

@ Hawkeye: thanks for the info; good to know that someone out there is standing one next to the other, not just going 'meh, yeah, well, they'll fit together, sure'!

@ Steve F: thanks for the suggestions. I'm not confident with GS, my trepidation about trying to turn an eyepatch into goggles is real, so 'sawing the lady in half', high couture, and cutting people's heads off are sadly out of my league at the moment, but to anyone without 3 left thumbs, they're damned good suggestions. The Black Scorpion range might indeed have something, in my head she's got a certain 'Wild Wild West' loo about her.

Thanks all of you; some really good suggestions there, all have been carefully considered, and probably will be again several times... any more are always welcome though!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
While you're over on the Black Scorpion site, it might be worth having a quick look at their female pirates (piratettes?) - some of those have dresses and 'practical' gear, although others seem to have discovered the bikini & miniskirt 200 years early - maybe sculpt goggles and possibly change any fire arms for something a bit more modern?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:33 AM »
This figure, from Hasslefree has some potential:-

http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=754
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?